“A magical experience!”

Boutique Hotel Quinta Chanabnal
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Palenque
“A magical experience!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

First of all, let me tell you that all words I can write on this review will come up short compared to the magical experience we lived on this hotel, we stayed only 3 nights, from July 10 to July 13, 2014; I'd have wished those days never passed. I went with my wife and daughters (5 and 11 years old).
If you visit Chiapas I strongly suggest you stay some nights on Palenque and definitely on this boutique Hotel in order to fully experience being on the jungle, on the heart of Chiapas!
My kids had a wonderful time, they loved the swimming pools, they didn't want to go out even with the rain falling!
All the personnel in the hotel were very friendship, the first night we arrived we decided to have dinner on the hotel restaurant, and we really enjoyed it, the personnel there was talking to us and giving us recommendation for our days in Palenque....the owner is an italian, and he is a polite an fine person always worried about you having a good time....
Possibly the only weak point would be the connectivity to the internet, at least on the room where we stayed, the WI-FI was very weak, but c'mon, you are on vacations, disconnect yourself and enjoy! :)
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and I would come back if I ever have a chance to visit Chiapas again in the future. I will add some pictures and you will see the joy in our faces :)

Room Tip: Try to get a stronger WI-FI connection that covers all hotel rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Luis C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights. The owner welcomed us and showed us the property he built from scratch reminiscing a Maya town. The food is excellent. The pool is in the border of a pond surrounded by jungle vegetation. Rooms are big and neat. Great staff that make our stay wonderful! Best hotel in Palenque.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sandra V
Singapore
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This boutique hotel can be approached by a private driveway from the main road. The hotel design was modeled on a small Mayan city, with its own Mayan Temple in front. The rooms are in a building that was based on the design of a Mayan residence. Our large suite included a large bed and a single bed for our daughter. The room was tastefully decorated with traditional textiles from Guatemala. In the bathroom, we discovered shampoo made with chocolate. There hotel has three small swimming pools at the back of the property, which overlook a small lagoon.

The owner/GM of this hotel, Rafael, is always around and is very friendly. He is a specialist in Mayan writing and we were lucky enough to converse with him at length after dinner and learned many things. The staff at the hotel are very accommodating and were kind enough accommodate our request for early checkout and even prepared our meal boxes to pack along on our very early departure the next day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lourdes A
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is in a remote setting but close enough to the ruins and the town. The pool and grounds are so beautiful, it almost entices you to linger at the hotel more than you would normally do. The food in the restaurant is delicious with many local and native ingredients. The owner is very knowledgeable about the Maya culture. He sat with us after dinner and talked at length about it. The room was very lovely. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank velagato
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Boutique Hotel Quinta Chanabnal is a truly magical, tranquil, beautiful and meticulously cared for secluded retreat. All aspects of your stay will charm and soothe you-- even beyond your great expectations. It will leave you in awe and provide peace and rest as if you've holidayed for years.

It tops as one of the most memorable holidays of my life, and I've been to 25+ countries and counting. It was my third time in Palenque (over the last 8 years), but first stay at QC, I will stay at no other place while here from now on. My father and I had a really phenomenal stay at this hotel for a week.

The minute you drive into the garden, you know you are entering a kind of paradise. The owner, Raphael, is also an expert Mayanist and provides as a great historian of the local history, languages and cuisines. Additionally, he has recreated the menu to reflect this knowledge (and every dish was scrumptious balancing perfectly planned flavours, herbs and spices). The hotel & grounds are filled with original works of art drawn on his and his wife's histories (most of the pictures do not do justice to its striking beauty and serenity). The rooms are beautifully designed with the highest quality of furniture, the beds were a dream to sleep in and our room felt like a mini mansion. The same great care has been taken all over the hotel. The open air dining room is spectacular! It feels like dining in an open air museum. The pools and gardens in the back are gorgeous and have been designed beautifully. The famous ruins of Palenque are just a few minutes up the road.

I highly recommend Quinta Chanabnal, it's no wonder it's ranked first in Palenque, should be the entire state! It left me with a sense of complete wonder; my father and I had a great time in Palenque and this experience was catapulted heaven-ward also mainly because of this hotel. We are left with amazing memories of our time conversing many hours with Raphael and his warm family. Raphael and his team ensure that your every need is met while providing as much privacy as one needs. It was an added element of pleasure to be able to converse with him. I've traveled within Mexico for the past decade and another positive element of this in Palenque is truly it's luxurious feel, certainly the best place to retreat to after all that wonderful trekking and sightseeing. Nothing like it.

Bravo, Raphael, it's clear this is not just some hotel someone built for 'business', it's your passion and love for the history and region that made you take on a unique project of this kind, and it leaves travelers like myself very lucky to have found it. Hardest part was leaving, but I'll be back soon!

Room Tip: I had the first room on the right hand side when you come up the garden (with my own seat and garden...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank N A
Oakland, CA
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This small boutique hotel fully deserves its high Tripadvisor ratings. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the grounds are extensive and delightful, with a lagoon and small waterfall-fed pool lovely for soaking and relaxing in the heat.

Raphael the owner was always friendly and helpful. When we had a difficult experience with a full day trip to the Mayan sites of Yaxchilan and Bonampak (multiple van breakdowns) Raphael helped sooth us and arranged a partial refund from the local tourist company that arranged the trip.

This is clearly the best place to stay if you're visiting Palenque.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oakland-traveler
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We have stayed at Piedre dr Agua in Merida and loved it so when we went to Palenque we stayed there as well ..for the first night;-) unfortunately the cleanliness and the service as well as accommodations were not nearly on par..even for a place in the jungle. The next day we checked in to Quinta Chanabnal and were VERY pleasantly surprised! Every aspect of this hotel is deluxe..the beds are wonderful, AC in every room, everything clean and in working order or beyond! Beautiful landscaping and pools and the service was over the top terrific! I generally do not like food at hotels but once again at Chanabnal we were astounded!! Delicious huge portions and fair prices! Between the 3 staff memebers I met and the owner, there were at least 4 languages spoken fluently English, Spanish, German and Italian! If you are really lucky the owner Raphael will be there as he is an expert in Mayan hieroglyphics and just a fascinating guy!

Room Tip: hard to say ..we looked at all of them.i think you can't go wrong...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple