“Best place to stay in Palenque”

Boutique Hotel Quinta Chanabnal
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Palenque
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best place to stay in Palenque”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is in a remote setting but close enough to the ruins and the town. The pool and grounds are so beautiful, it almost entices you to linger at the hotel more than you would normally do. The food in the restaurant is delicious with many local and native ingredients. The owner is very knowledgeable about the Maya culture. He sat with us after dinner and talked at length about it. The room was very lovely. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank velagato

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Boutique Hotel Quinta Chanabnal is a truly magical, tranquil, beautiful and meticulously cared for secluded retreat. All aspects of your stay will charm and soothe you-- even beyond your great expectations. It will leave you in awe and provide peace and rest as if you've holidayed for years.

It tops as one of the most memorable holidays of my life, and I've been to 25+ countries and counting. It was my third time in Palenque (over the last 8 years), but first stay at QC, I will stay at no other place while here from now on. My father and I had a really phenomenal stay at this hotel for a week.

The minute you drive into the garden, you know you are entering a kind of paradise. The owner, Raphael, is also an expert Mayanist and provides as a great historian of the local history, languages and cuisines. Additionally, he has recreated the menu to reflect this knowledge (and every dish was scrumptious balancing perfectly planned flavours, herbs and spices). The hotel & grounds are filled with original works of art drawn on his and his wife's histories (most of the pictures do not do justice to its striking beauty and serenity). The rooms are beautifully designed with the highest quality of furniture, the beds were a dream to sleep in and our room felt like a mini mansion. The same great care has been taken all over the hotel. The open air dining room is spectacular! It feels like dining in an open air museum. The pools and gardens in the back are gorgeous and have been designed beautifully. The famous ruins of Palenque are just a few minutes up the road.

I highly recommend Quinta Chanabnal, it's no wonder it's ranked first in Palenque, should be the entire state! It left me with a sense of complete wonder; my father and I had a great time in Palenque and this experience was catapulted heaven-ward also mainly because of this hotel. We are left with amazing memories of our time conversing many hours with Raphael and his warm family. Raphael and his team ensure that your every need is met while providing as much privacy as one needs. It was an added element of pleasure to be able to converse with him. I've traveled within Mexico for the past decade and another positive element of this in Palenque is truly it's luxurious feel, certainly the best place to retreat to after all that wonderful trekking and sightseeing. Nothing like it.

Bravo, Raphael, it's clear this is not just some hotel someone built for 'business', it's your passion and love for the history and region that made you take on a unique project of this kind, and it leaves travelers like myself very lucky to have found it. Hardest part was leaving, but I'll be back soon!

Room Tip: I had the first room on the right hand side when you come up the garden (with my own seat and garden...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank N A
Oakland, CA
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This small boutique hotel fully deserves its high Tripadvisor ratings. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the grounds are extensive and delightful, with a lagoon and small waterfall-fed pool lovely for soaking and relaxing in the heat.

Raphael the owner was always friendly and helpful. When we had a difficult experience with a full day trip to the Mayan sites of Yaxchilan and Bonampak (multiple van breakdowns) Raphael helped sooth us and arranged a partial refund from the local tourist company that arranged the trip.

This is clearly the best place to stay if you're visiting Palenque.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oakland-traveler
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We have stayed at Piedre dr Agua in Merida and loved it so when we went to Palenque we stayed there as well ..for the first night;-) unfortunately the cleanliness and the service as well as accommodations were not nearly on par..even for a place in the jungle. The next day we checked in to Quinta Chanabnal and were VERY pleasantly surprised! Every aspect of this hotel is deluxe..the beds are wonderful, AC in every room, everything clean and in working order or beyond! Beautiful landscaping and pools and the service was over the top terrific! I generally do not like food at hotels but once again at Chanabnal we were astounded!! Delicious huge portions and fair prices! Between the 3 staff memebers I met and the owner, there were at least 4 languages spoken fluently English, Spanish, German and Italian! If you are really lucky the owner Raphael will be there as he is an expert in Mayan hieroglyphics and just a fascinating guy!

Room Tip: hard to say ..we looked at all of them.i think you can't go wrong...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie D
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This is a well located hotel within a short drive of the Palenque archaeological site. Most of the staff we met spoke good English and were very helpful. The room was huge with a large sitting area with fresh flowers. The minibar has free non-alcoholic drinks which are replenished during your stay. The safe is too small to keep much more than your passport and money. The pool is small, but a relaxing place to be after a hot day sightseeing. It has resident iguanas to keep you company.

The food is good, but if perhaps I would like to see starters other than just soup or salad.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CED
quintachanabnal, Owner at Boutique Hotel Quinta Chanabnal, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear reviewer and guest,
First of all let me thank you for your stay at our hotel and express our satisfaction of making your stay generally speaking good. Reading your post I found two issues that I would like to address as owner and General Manager. As for your point about the safe that is too small to keep much more than your passport and money, you are right, but the reason we don't have bigger saves, is due to the fact that (thanks God) our guest does not need them to protect his property. We existed for a long time even without a save, until our insurance told us, that we needed one to avoid possible false accusations (insurances warn always of these kind of issues, hope it will never happen). So we installed this 30comX30cmX10cm save that protects the most sensible things, like cash, passport and airplane tickets. As we like to say, your room is your save, and this is something on which we put big attention. In any case, the Hotel has a big save for those extra sensible cases, that need to be guarded on request of our guests.
The second point is about our Menu. I am very sorry, that we missed to help you with our menu , since you say you could not "see starters other than just soup or salad". Between our soups and salads we have a chapter of 6 different pastas like Gnocchi al Ragu allo Zafferano or out homemade Tagliatelle al Pesto or Ai Funghi e Porcini. Since I am half Italian, I see Pasta dishes as starters, but I could understand if there may be cultural differences with other countries. In any case we will from now on try to be more explicit in our guidance through the menu for our guest.
Once again thank you very much for your stay, hope to have you again in the future as guest here at BH Quinta Chanabnal.

Raphael Tunesi
General Director and Owner
BH Quinta Chanabnal
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The German owner is an expert on Mayan script and, from what we saw, most other aspects of Mayan culture. He had a hand in every aspect of designing the hotel and experience. Tucked away in the jungle, beside a lake, with a cascade of swimming pools, large beautiful rooms, and an amazing menu, this hotel gives the feeling of being lost in a Mayan country club at the height of the civilisation. The owner is loves chatting to his guests and to explain the significance of every item in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 12, 2014

What a extraordinary surprise-on arrival it was nothing like my wife and I and our freinds had imagined.So tastefully done.and so welcoming.So much in the right place and my wife who is an interior decorator thought we had reached heaven.The rooms are each so beautiful and comfortable.The breakfast superb--what can I say

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends