We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Great Ruins - More Original than Chichén Itza”

National Park of Palenque
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Palenque
Certificate of Excellence
More attraction details
Attraction details
Owner description: A wide variety of pyramids, temples and sculptures have all been found at this famous Mayan archaeological site.
Level Contributor
34 reviews
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Ruins - More Original than Chichén Itza”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The National Park of Palenque is a great place to visit in the south of Mexico.
The ruins are located a little off the city. Buses and Colectivos/Combis run all the day. Take one near Palenque's Bus station that says "ruinas" on its sign. Prices vary depending on spanish knowledge and driver's mood.
The archeological sight is huge. In fact it's bigger than the one in Chichén Itza and far less crowded. Go there in the morning to hear the howling monkeys and to enjoy the ruins in a calmer atmosphere. Don't forget to check out the "queen's bath" at the opposite of the entrance (a 10-15 minutes stroll).
If you wish to eat and drink during your stay, bring food and water with you. Prices are high at the entrance area.
There are several tour guides offering their services. Check out prices BEFORE the tour (if you want one at all).
Keep in mind that there might be events or gatherings at the time of the solstices. New Age followers should have their favourite turist season around those days.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank callmehans
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a Review

1,074 reviews from our community

Visitor rating
Date | Rating
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Chinese (Simplified) first
  • Danish first
  • Dutch first
  • English first
  • French first
  • German first
  • Italian first
  • Japanese first
  • Norwegian first
  • Polish first
  • Portuguese first
  • Russian first
  • Spanish first
  • Swedish first
  • Turkish first
  • Any
English first
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
45 reviews
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The park is beautiful, very clean, this was not ,y first time so there have been many changes, some reconstruction was taking place but you could still admire the greatness.

Visited July 2013
Thank Violems
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Hjorring, Denmark
Level Contributor
44 reviews
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Amazing site”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Amazing history, buildings and suroundings ! This site is huge !! Buildings everywhere and absolutly beautiful. Absolutly as good as chichen itza of maybe even better. After seeing all the buildings you Can take a walk in the jungles and se beautiful waterfalls.

Visited June 2013
Thank betina_groen
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Level Contributor
219 reviews
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Ruins of the Mayan Empire that date from 226 BCE - 1123 CE; only about 5% of them are excavated: the remaining 95% are still in the surrounding jungle. Beautiful walking trails, unexpected surprises: cascades! - and of course, those incredible ruins in all their splendor

Visited July 2013
1 Thank washwestcc
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Copan, Honduras
Level Contributor
76 reviews
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“No need to look for unexcavated ruins, there are plenty that have been excavated that are not open to viewing.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My biggest disappointment was in the number of areas that were closed to viewing. Let me recount - Temple XIII and the tomb of the queen, Temple of the Inscriptions and the entire Southern Acropolis.which includes Temples XVII, XIX, XX, XXI and XXII.

Don't get me wrong, there was still a lot to see and I spent two days there exploring the site. Most of my time was spent at El Palacio and Grupo de las Cruces.

The museum is a must see and is one of the finest site museums to which I have been.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank seniorbackpacker67
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed National Park of Palenque also viewed


Been to National Park of Palenque? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing