“Don't stay. Bed bugs! Stayed in girls dorm”
Review of Yaxkin Hostel

Yaxkin Hostel
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Missed the combis back to the reserve to camp and decided to stay in town. Should have just paid the taxi to go back. El Yaxkin looks like it could be a great spot, but I value my health and safety over amenities and bedbugs are an absolute terror and easily transportable.

I laid down to rest and felt itchy. Checked my bed and sure enough it was teeming with bedbugs. They were even on the wall and floor. I immediately alerted the staff. They kindly transferred me to another room, but were not going to wake the other two women in the dorm! Unacceptable. They were absolutely clueless as to how to handle the situation. I had a massive bedbug infestation in my apartment building in NYC hat resulted in a two year court case against my landlords. This is not a situation to take lightly and the simple precautionary measures were not taken until I instructed them to bag everything.

Thankfully we woke the other two girls. One of their backs was completely bit from their stay the night before.

I've been told we will be able to wash and dry our things in the morning. If you are currently staying at the hostel, I advise you to wash and dry (the heat of the dryer is what kills them) everything you own and spray down your bags with a mixture of alcohol diluted with water.

This is the second report of bedbugs here. I would avoid this hostel at all costs. Shame, seems like a great spot.

If anyone at the hostel reads this, please invest in bedbug covers for the mattresses. They all must be thrown out.

Room Tip: Check your bed. Look for black residue along the edges. Bedbugs come out in the dark. If you notice...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank itsmisscs
yaxkin1, Propietario at Yaxkin Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

We are sorry to hear about the experience you had at our hostel. We know how serious this matter is and request an opportunity to explain. When initially notified of the potential issue

in one of our rooms, we immediately blocked, treated, and renovated the room in question, and the 3 adjoining rooms; installing new wooden ceilings, disposing of and replacing the mattresses, furniture and other potentially affected articles.

As a part of our diligent efforts, we compared several sanitation companies and chose the one that appeared most reliable. The owner of the company we chose is also a veterinarian which led us to believe the products would be safe for our guests and the environment.

Although the cost of the treatments was nearly four times more than any of the other service providers, we were assured by a written guarantee that after the treatment there would be no further incidences of any type of insects in any part of the hostel installations.

The company appeared very legitimate and reinforced the fact that these were special products not available to the general public, and were only available by special order. As a part of the treatment process, three products and application processes were administered in the entire hostel over a period of 2 days.

Because of this abuse of confidence toward the hostel and our clients, we are currently in a process of litigation against the company FUMI-SUR for breach of contract. As a part of our commitment to our clients, we have since contacted a different and reputable company to monitor and treat this problem in conjunction with our cleaning staff to eliminate the likelihood of any further incidences.

We assure you that all customer comments are taken very seriously, and are taking the necessary steps to continue providing a clean, comfortable, and safe atmosphere for our clients.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We were travelling with a group on a tour and my partner and I booked a private room. This was clean, had a massive bed and the air-con and bathroom were great. There is a cafe attached to the hostel which serves good food and a restaurant bar upstairs. Some if our guys were in a shared room above us. It was effectively just a poorly converted loft. It was cramped and even had an air conditioning exhaust IN the room. The temperature was horrendous. They moved room and paid a little extra for an upgrade. So be sure you get a decent room before you dump your bags!! Otherwise this hostel is brilliant!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2014

For our base we went to Yaxkin Hostel in Palenque. It is a nice hostel with dorm options. There is a nice cafee in front.
The kitchen is amazing and there is a bbq avaidble. What was really nice. The only thing is their staf is a helpfull guy. But it take a long time to check in or being helped with simple questions. The only receptionist gives you a tour to the room. Then you need to wait> so signs to the room maiby easier.
The rest was great!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Recently stayed at Yaxkin Hostel in Palenque, and enjoyed it immensely. The staff were young and eager, which made up for some of their inexperience - nothing big, just little things here and there.

Stayed in the 8-bed dorm, 130pesos a night, there are private rooms available as well. It was clean, quiet, had lockers, the main reception area and outdoor eating area had wifi, there is a cafe and a restaurant available, as well as a kitchen, if you are so inclined. In the common area is a tv, ping pong table, couches and chairs, and a computer with 'net access in case you need it.

I make it a point to always check the beds before I confirm a booking, to see if there is any evidence of bed bugs or other unwanted pests - had to deal with these before, and it was an experience I would just as soon not repeat.

A short walk to the collectivo and bus stations, Yaxkin is a great place to use as a home base for visiting Palenque ruins, Agua Azul and Misol Ha, and other attractions in the area. The city of Palenque leaves a lot to be desired, but Yaxkin served as a great place to stay while I explored the surrounding area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank cansurvivor
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in a private room. Thought it was a good little budget place to get to the ruins from. There was a kitchen, nice garden and a parrot.

Unfortunately we woke up early to catch a bus on the 2nd morning and found our bed and mosquito net crawling with bed bugs. We had thought we were being eaten by Mosquitos. Nightmare to get rid of and quite painful.

As no one was around at that time we left a note and hopefully this issue will be sorted soon. First time we've encountered bed bugs in our 3 months of travelling.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OllieSet

Our commitment to our clients is to ensure that they enjoy each stay, and to address and resolve any potential issue when given the opportunity. First and foremost, we would like to extend our sincerest apology that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay, and due to the early departure time, our lack of opportunity to properly address your concern. We would also like to assure you that in the 5 years that we have been in existence, we have never had any complaints regarding problems of this nature. Because we are in a natural and "jungle like" setting, it’s possible that there was just a misinterpretation of what was perceived. In either case, we take all customer comments very seriously and immediately disposed of the reported mattress and called a professional sanitation company to attend the matter. We strive to maintain the highest quality standards demonstrated by our certificates of "Moderniza," and "Punto Limpio," which are given only to hotels/hostels that maintain and abide by the strictest mandatory quality control standards: One of which is the requirement to establish and maintain a regular sanitation routine (the certificates from the licensed sanitation company are on file as confirmation), and another being to maintain a regular sanitation and replacement routine for mattresses in all of our rooms.

Best Regards,

Management

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at Yaxkin for two nights in December 2013 iun a private room. yaxkin Hostel is located in a quiet Hostel/Hotel-Zone, a few minutes from the city centre (which is not worth visiting). The Hostel apparently lost my reservation from Hostelworld.com, which was quite an unpleasent experience. After talking to the recepionists, they offered me to stay alone in a 3-person-room for the same price (which was ok as a solution). The rooms are clean, but rather basic (don't expect too much comfort). The Hostel offers unlimited free drinking water and is equipped with a big kitchen (with refrigerator). WiFi is available is the lobby (couches and nice decoration).
The hostel offers several tour packages - I booked one to the Mayan Ruins, and the waterfalls "Aguas Azules" and "Misol-Ha", which was quite good (recomendend, if you have less time and want to see as much as possible).

My stay at the hostel was ok, I would recommend it to every traveller seeking acomodation;). But try to check (via Telefone or Email), if your reservation was accepted.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The dorm was booked up so I shared a private room with another woman. The private rooms are located across the street from the reception area, which seems ok at the time, but is really quite annoying when you have to walk in the dark every time you want to talk to reception, use the internet, use the kitchen, get water, etc. Staff is not helpful and appears annoyed when you ask questions. They give terrible directions. The sheets appeared dirty, and I pulled out my sleeping liner for only the second time during my 5 months in Central America. We had a private bathroom. The water in the sink did not work, cold water in the shower did not work which meant it was too scalding hot to take a shower, and the toilet stopped working during the night. (They did come fix this the next day). Unfortunately there are a limited number of budget options in Palenque.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo