“Time to wind down”
Review of Kusuma's Lazy Left

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midigama
Kusuma's Lazy Left
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My partner and I booked for a week at Lazy Left and stayed for a month. Having the ocean just 20 paces from our room, with good snorkelling (for me), plenty of tropical fish, and good surfing (for him) was very cruisy indeed. The water is clean. If you're lucky you could be there for a turtle hatching. We only saw their eggs but if we had stayed another month... Our hosts' (Sugi and Anoja) cooking worked for us too - spicy omelettes in the morning after yoga or swimming, maybe a pasta for lunch and 'grilled' fish (it's really fried, but very good) and rice for dinner. Anoja's dahl is excellent. Our room was very basic, with hard floors and a fairly hard bed and pillows. I ended up buying some new pillows for us which we left there as a gift. We had a mozzie net but still managed to attract a lot (a very lot) of bites, mostly from spiders (I think) and ants, so I would recommend applying repellent before bed at night. Not a big deal, really, just like camping anywhere. And the rent, for a place right on the beach, is very reasonable.

Room Tip: I don't think any room is much better than any other but the two on the south side might be a li...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mimi P

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I spent a week with Sugi and his family, and spent another week on my return from the east side. The accommodation is in a great location and has a semi private beach away from all the hustle and bustle, where you can relax and have some real downtime. There are several surf breaks right infront of the accomodation, Rams right just to the left (but you can paddle though a gulley right infront of sugis and paddle a bit to the left and you are in the line up) lazy left is just to the right and has a good potential for a long mellow left. Welligama is a 4 min ride by tuk tuk if you need a bank or shops, and fresh fish etc...it also offers a small wave for begginers and keen lonboarders, with a bit of swell you could probably have some fun on a shortboard too.
But better to stay with Sugi as welligama is town and full of the hustle and bustle. Sugi also makes really good food, and is very hospitable and will give you good advice about anything you need to know. The accommodation is comfortable enough and you have a fan and your own shower...
Epic little piece of paradise....hammocks under palm trees, waves and hundreds of turtles make it a place worth staying.....thanks Sugi.....regards Raymond (South Africa/uk)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I came here to volunteer at the Animal SOS and LazyLeft . Com was the perfect place for relaxing on the beach and in the beautiful water after I finished work. The food was really good, the fruit salad at breakfast especially, and the family are really nice. I will definitely come back here next time I am in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: I think the room in front of the hammock is the best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2013

...this place could be considered a paradise. One of the few places in the region I have seen with a property actually on the sand, right in front of the crystal blue sea. You don't need to surf to enjoy this place, just watching the water, every now and then a sea turtle pops their head up, and there is lots of other marine life near the small reef out the front. The beach and water are clean here, as are the rooms, and the food is fantastic. Apparently they used to run a restaurant before they built the guest houses and every meal (even the western stuff - great hamburger) has been delicious. We share the fruit salad it's so big. My wife is volunteering at the Animal SOS here which gives me the day to read, write, swim, run, snorkel and eat. I am loving life right now.

Room Tip: They are all beach facing and good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

In a year long sabbatical to climb and surf around Asia, Sugi's guesthouse may have been my favorite accomodation yet. A spacious, clean room, RIGHT in front of the water, attended by the friendliest family ever, what is not to love?! I'll gladly go back to Sugi's any day, in fact can't wait.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach. Cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Thank You for Your hospitality and Your friendly and super good service!

I spend two weeks in Sugi's Lazy Left Surfer Accommodation.

I higly recommed Sugi's place to everybody who appreciate safe, quiet place near by excellent surf spots. In 15 minutes walking, you can find 4 different kind of surf spots, and by tuk tuk 5min to Weligama and 5 min to Ahangama (Kaballana Rock).

Rooms are simple rooms with fan, they're clean and with own toilet and shower.

Sugi and he's wife are allso really good chef's. Local Sri Lankan food is amazing, and if You're keen to have some western style food, Pasta's and Burgers work's allso well.

If any questions, send Sugi email and he usually answer in few hours.

Thank You Sugi and you're family for taking good care of me!

All the best for Babu the surfing dog too!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Santtu L
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A friend gave me the email of Sugi (sugi.rest@yahoo.com) saying nothing else than go there. He was there 1.5 years ago and we all know how all can change in a so long time in places like Sri Lanka. We planned to stay here 2 days but at the end we stayed 12 and used Midigama as base point to visit the south from Galle to Matara (there is a bus station at 150 meters, Sugi can also arrange a tuc tuc or a car but the distances are really short Weligama 5min – Galle 20min – Unavatuna 15min – Mirissa 25min – Matara 40min). Sugi runs his B&B with his wife and father, and in one day you fill part of the family. It was really nice to stay with them and their friends speaking or playing cricket. The food is also amazing. They go everyday to the market and the menu depends on what they find fresh (western and local). If you want something particular just ask. Since now they have 5 simple rooms only, with bathroom, ceiling fan and mosquito net. From each one you can see the sea from the window or the door lying in bed! Outside you have a private balcony, basically on the beach, great to hang out. There is a natural swimmingpool in just in front that grants a safe bath even for children (The sea on the south coast can be quite rough during offseason).

The weather was really good even offseason.

We hope to come back one day!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank D S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midigama
Plantation Surf Inn
Coconut Surf Inn
Coconut Surf Inn
#15 of 35 in Midigama
Dorian Guest Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Kusuma's Lazy Left? Share your experiences!