“A wonderful family-run guesthouse”

Plantation Surf Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Midigama B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'm overdue with my review of this amazing place, I stayed with Chathu and his family for ten nights in march. The location is perfect with a few surf spots in walking distance and the rooms are basic with a ceiling fan and mosquito nets and keep very clean, the outside area is great to hang out and have a chat with other friendly travelers or play a game of carrom with the best carrom coach aka Chathu. The food cooked by Chathu's parents is delicious especially the curry! This family is very kind and caring and will help you with everything you might need. When I left Midigama and travelled up the coast Chathu told me that if I needed anything I could just call and that says a lot about what kind of person he is.

Of all the places I stayed in Sri Lanka this is the most friendly and welcoming and I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed there 6 nights with my boyfriend.Our room was small but it was very enough for us and very cozy place:D It is airy,clean room.
Surf point "plantation" is right in front of PLANTATION SURF INN!! This fact is greater than anything for surfer.

Chatu's family is so kind and nice people.Food was very good. We shared dinner with another guests. That makes dinner even more delicious.

I would like to go back again...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Yuki.Sai
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at Plantation Surf Inn with my boyfriend for the whole month we were in Sri Lanka, as we were ready to settle somwhere after more than 3 months of travelling in SE Asia.
We booked the room through Airbnb. When we first arrived, I thought there wasn't much going on here in comparison to Thailand, but the simplicity of this area is part of the attraction and there is actually plenty to do! Chathura runs this guesthouse with the rest of the Chamika clan with warmth, a good sense of humour, enthusiasm and honesty.
The rooms are basic with mosquito nets and ceiling fan but airy, brightly coloured and clean. It's all you need. In the time i was staying there, i met and hung out with really friendly people as its the kind of place that creates a little community. Chathu's mum and dad cook delicious Sri Lankan food but there's a range of local and Western food on the menu.
There's 4 good surfing spots in Midigama, a few nice swimming and snorkeling spots, the sunsets are breathtaking, you can see baby turtles being released regularly from a hatchery across the road at Plantation. Easy access by bus or tuk-tuk to other towns along Matara Rd.
In the time we were there we developed a good relationship with Danawansa who became our regular tuk tuk driver, and we also adopted a lovely local dog we named Stephen Whittaker who came around almost daily!
I really enjoyed my time at Plantation Surf Inn, and if you have a clear idea of what you want and what to expect, then it's virtually impossible to have a bad time.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I spend the whole month in this guesthouse, and Chatou and his family were adorable and very kind! It was my first time in Sri Lanka, but because of Chatou it is not the last one! Atmosphere was so great and calm, and the family was so helpful with everything!
I am very thankful and I will certainly come back one day!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Surf_Guest_House, Owner at Plantation Surf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2015

hi dear friend

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review! It really makes it easy for people to come and stay with us. Its great to also hear the warm words about our staff as we believe we have some of the best people part of the plantation surf inn team. I am so glad you had an amazing time with us - please come back and visit soon! because we need big smile again !!

Warm regards
plantation family !!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Me and three friends stayed over Chatu's for 5 nights in Christmas 2012, and I can only recommend the place. We liked the fact that the family was living with us, so the atmosphere was very comfortable. They would go to the market several times a day and cook for us every night. Also, the dinner would depend on what was available, so we knew it was fresh. Breakfast was included in the room price for only one extra us dollar, which was great. The rooms were basic and colourful, although the other couple didn't have their own bathroom (which they were supposed to have). We spent every night there hanging with other guests and Chatu and his friends, and on Christmas eve they took us to beach parties in Mirissa. We even stopped for a midnight snack on demand! There are nice beaches for swimming just across the road, a few fruit stalls and places to buy snacks. For a small supermarket or wine store you need to take a bus to the nearest town. As beginner surfers we would take the local bus to Weligama (20minutes or so) and surf there. However, if you wish to have your own tuktuk, Chatu will surely arrange one. In Weligama there are several places to rent a board or take lessons.

All in all I think Plantation surf inn was in a great location (not too crowded, local feel and easy access to places with local buses) and we were really taken care of. We loved all the local foods, they were absolutely the best Sri Lankan cuisine we tried during the three weeks vacation. The rooms are only so-so but as you consider all the other aspects I think Plantation surf inn is of great value.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

It was my first time at Sri Lanka and only because of Chatura, the owner of guest house, our vacation was brilliant. Very lovely, simple and clean rooms, beatiful view to the ocean, beatiful garden and delicious food.
We will definitely come back

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and i spent a week at Plantation Surf Inn in February this year as we found out about it here on TA. Chathura and his parents made our stay very enjoyable and the food was top notch tucker. A good variable menu with something to please everyone.
We decided on the big room upstairs which had nice light and even a glimpse of the waves from the outside balcony, which was nice for a surf check early morning.
Plantation Surf Inn is definately a step above the rest of the accomodation in Midigama and the food is the best in the area.
If your a surfer or a traveller wanting to relax and unwind then contact Chathura for a chilled out stay on the South coast of Sri Lanka.

Phone - +94 77 643 8912
Web - http://plantationsurfinn.com

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Navig8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midigama
The Surfer
#10 of 35 in Midigama
Coconut Surf Inn
Coconut Surf Inn
#15 of 35 in Midigama

Been to Plantation Surf Inn? Share your experiences!