“delightful”

Fredericks Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I love the cosy retro feel to the café, an I like that the furniture/crockery are a mishmash of odds and sods. I had a birthday cream tea and it was served with a proper teapot, cups and saucers. the sandwiches, cake and scones were delicious. definitely recommended

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

A nice cafe next to the cinema in Westgate. You can get a fantastic piece of cake and coffee. Its difficult to choose all the cakes look delicious.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We called in here for a hot drink and a cake. We both had scones, but they were nothing to write home about, very average. Not a huge selection of cakes there. The place was very clean and tidy. Loo was spotless. The staff though seemed oblivious to a smile and welcome. I think things could be improved here greatly, as the premises and position have huge potential. Another thing we found (although not the staff's fault) is that the noise in there was deafening!!! Every sound....scraping chair, kitchen noise and other customers seemed to be amplified around the high walls. Not the place for a quiet, cosy cuppa and intimate chit chat.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just wanted to write to congratulate the new owner of Fredericks Tea room. Since they have taken over, the choice of savouries, fresh pastries and cakes is amazing. I believe they are all homemade. So far, I have tried the coffee and walnut cake (with Tia Maria!), cheese scone, fruit scone, lemon drizzle cake and, of course, the wonderful smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel. Not all at once mind you!
I often visit the Westgate area for work and, for some reason, always find the time to pop in for a little something! Actually, I think it is an addiction! The anticipation of arriving into Westgate is often overwhelming: Not for the work I have to do but instead, what I am going to have when I get to Fredericks!
I have been using the cafe for just over a year now and the previous owner also always offered a good variety of pastries and cakes too. Recently though, I did notice that the choices and standards had somewhat diminished. Now I understand why. She was obviously running it down in preparation for her leaving. The new owner seems to have taken over with gusto and the display is once again resplendent with lovely, must have goodies. Well worth a visit in my opinion. Just make sure you don't take the last slice of the coffee and walnut cake just in case work want me to go to Westgate at short notice!
I have been twice since the 30th August (when the new owner took over) and the display cabinet is always full of delicious looking cakes and pastries. I think the last reviewer must have visited when the previous owner was running it down. Because it certainly isn't like that now. Oh! I forgot to say that the staff were very welcoming and friendly and the service was brilliant.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I visited this cafe recently with a friend. I had a lovely coffee and a chocolate cake. We inquired about the place and discovered it had just come under new management and had been somewhat rundown prior to the exchange. I would highly recommend it as we were provided with friendly and attentive service and the cake and savoury selection were great. This was on Friday 30th August. I cannot understand the review of Bill J as this was most certainly not my experience and the new proprietors did not take over until the 30th August