All reviewsoutdoor poolgolf coursesouth downsthe cottagesfirst classsauna and steam roomsthe main housesmall hotelsussex countrysidechanging roomsthis lovely hotelattention to detailperfect countrylovely touchlarge bedroombirthday treata real treat
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I went with 3 of my friends for the Sunday Spa Break, from the moment we got there we felt so welcomed. The staff on reception were very helpful and pleasant. We stayed in Polo cottage which was absolutely lovely!!! Would definitely stay here again. We has dinner included in the price and it was amazing!!
The service was excellent and the food delicious!! Breakfast was good too with a large variety of options.
The spa was very nice too!
The only small bad point was in the downstairs bedroom the tv wasn't working and we called the man out to look at it and he couldn't work it either (probably the remote control he said) but it didn't affect our stay.
Am looking to stay here again in the near future!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
phhmanager, General Manager at Park House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
We are very pleased to hear your stay was a success for you and your group.
We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

From everyone at Park House

Reviewed March 12, 2011

My girlfriend, I and our litte dog just had a 3 night stay from Monday to Weds. Would have only been 2 but we liked it so much we stayed for another night. This hotel really has got everything so right. From the initial call to book the room to the very end, I couldn't fault a thing, We stayed on a deal which included bed, breakfast, dinner and a half hour spa treat each day. I can't stress how good the value of this was. This was particularly confirmed when we went to Bovey Castle (a very upmarket hotel in Dartmoor) straight after on a similar package which cost nearly twice as much.

We stayed in the Baytree cottage- a self contained cottage for 2/3people (the third person would stay on the sofa bed in the lounge) that has a large en-suite bedroom, lounge with huge wall mounted TV and a kitchen stocked with all cooking utensils and cutlery. I LOVED this cottage, it was really well furnished with unique pieces and pictures that really made us feel like we weren't staying at a hotel but in a beautiful country home. In the bedroom, there is an Apple Mac TV which includes a DVD player which is so way ahead of what you get in other hotels. Very impressed with this! Lovely toiletries in the ensuite bathroom with Molton Brown handwash. The cottage even has a little patio and garden area which in the summer must be a fantastic little sun trap.

The golf course is great fun and complimentary. They provided all the kit required. Really well kept fariways and greens. Great for the dog as it loved playing in the bunkers.

Both breakfast and dinner on all days were superb. I think the owners have listened to the feedback from others on Trip Advisor who felt the menu was restrictive because we felt the menu had a good range of high quality dishes. Really good wine list too.

The spa is fantastic- so new and well designed. Jacuzzi is so warm and the highlight of the stay had to be being able to order glasses of champagne to drink in it. Great way to relax after working out in the gym! Free teas and coffee in the gym is another example of how they get all the little touches so right.

In the summer they open up the outdoor pool and the grass tennis courts. We will definitely be coming back then to enjoy both!

I know this review sounds a bit gushy and just full of praise but I really can't think of anything bad to say about the place. I've stayed in many places around the UK and the rest of the world and found this to be really up there with the best.

A big thank you to all the members of staff including Nicola and all at the Spa who were so friendly and professional.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Giggsy16
phhmanager, General Manager at Park House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Park House.
Your review was very encouraging, especially regarding the food, we do take feed back seriously and i know the kitchen brigade have really taken on board the feedback from previous reviewers.
Its wonderful to read glowing reports about our staff, they are a great bunch of people who are really passionate about the hotel and its guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer, the outdoor pool should be open in April, Weather permitting!

Reviewed March 4, 2011

My husband and I spent the weekend at Park House. We were very happy with our room (number 5) which has a side view of the garden and blue patterned wall paper. The bed was very comfortable and I did not hear any traffic from the lane which runs along the front of the hotel. You would probably get slightly better views and more space in the rooms at the back of the hotel but they are more expensive. The only thing I didn't like was the room shower which was a little claustrophobic and had a spot light in it - I didn't like the light and water jet being in such close proximity but I'm sure it was safe. However this was not a problem as there are amazing showers at the spa area and we used the spa area showers rather than the room one. There was a tea tray/kettle etc in the room and you could request fresh milk from reception which was nice.
The spa swimming pool was a decent length to swim in before moving on to the jacuzzi. You can help yourself to water or tea in the relaxation area. My husband would have liked a coffee option! The lovely thing about the spa is that even though the carpark was full of guests the spa never seemed busy. I had the pool to myself both evenings before dinner.
I had the hot shell massage treatment in the spa and it was very enjoyable. I also spent a short time in the gym.
The grounds are fine but not exceptional - late february is possibly not the best time to appreciate them.
I would agree with the person below who found the evening menu slightly restrictive. The mains included 2 fish options, lamb stew, pork, beef and a vegetarian option. I think it would have been nice to see a duck or chicken option and the lamb grilled rather than stewed. However I am on a restricted diet so not the easiest person to cater for. The second night the chef kindly cooked me a rack of lamb which was delicious. The puddings were ok if you like traditional puddings such as creme brulee but maybe it would have been nice to see a few lighter options such as ice cream and or meringue. We liked the ambience of the dining room and in particular the fact that there was not background music. Other guests were friendly and there was a relaxed atmosphere in the communal areas.
The hotel was about 20 minutes drive from chichester and we enjoyed spending an afternoon there.
The staff were very professional and friendly and we were very well looked after. I would certainly recommend this hotel for a relaxing weekend break with spa facilities.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Evendine27
phhmanager, General Manager at Park House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your detailed Review of Park House. It's lovely to hear that your stay was relaxing.
We are pleased you had a restful nights sleep and enjoyed your Lava Shell treatment.
The Garden has looked a bit bare these last few months, as a result of the frost and snow. The flower beds are beginning to come to life now, with the first signs of spring.
We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps in the summer months when the garden is in bloom!

Reviewed February 24, 2011

This hotel gets so much right. In particular the balance between traditional and modern (Apple TV/internet units are great), and the spa, which is the best equipped hotel spa I have experienced.

This would have been a straight 5 'blobs' but for the fact that our room (room 8) was located directly above the kitchen. Sleep was impossible before about 1.00am, when the pot wash had finished and the night porter had said his goodbyes and made a sandwich for himself. (I know this because I heard everything, including the knife cutting the crusty bread. So you can imagine what the full dinner service sounded like.) The din recommenced at about 7.00am when the day shift came back in.

I mentioned this to reception on departure but did not get much of a response. I did not push the matter because I don't like to make a fuss and I did actually like many aspects of the hotel.

So by all means stay at this hotel and enjoy the spa. But do not accept room 8 if they allocate it to you.

P.S I believe room 8 is a superior room, which adds insult to the injury.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GuildfordGreyhound

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience. we are please to hear you enjoyed the spa and the Apple TV System.
I apologise that when you raised the issue of disturbance from below your room that you were not offered an alternative room, that should have been the case.
We are monitoring the noise level in all rooms, since reading your review.

Very best wishes

Reviewed February 13, 2011

I can understand many of the reviews heaping unabated praise on Park House - as there are definitely characteristics of this hotel that are extremely impressive; and possibly all that matters to some.

However, I find reviews most useful when they offer an objective, balanced view of any hotel - to try and form an idea about whether the apparent upsides will outweigh the downsides based on my individual preferences.

So here's an attempt to give you our views of the pros and cons of Park House.

First the pros:

- My wife and I had a very pleasant stay in one of the Cottages - a unique, and extremely pleasant situation; a lovely building that for the same price as a room in the hotel offers you a room with en-suite, living room with fireplace, kitchen, patio area. The cottage was beautifully furnished, offering ultimate privacy, a lot of space and exceptional facilities.
- The main hotel, and its grounds, are spectacular - the location is in the middle of beautiful Sussex countryside, and the manor house is furnished in traditional style to offer a real step back into an atmosphere of quaint rural past.
- The staff are all very friendly and attentive. They are eager to please, and will always take the time to chat about your individual plans for your stay, and how to get the best out of your day.
- Breakfast is served till a generous 10.30, which was great as we were able to roll out of bed on Saturday morning, throw on some clothes and go and enjoy a very good breakfast

The cons:

Admittedly this is a case of what you prefer/or are prepared to tolerate, however, for ourselves there were some things that didn't work for us:
- The honesty bar, while a nice idea, and touches on the more familiar tonality of the establishment, is very expensive. By the time I'm paying £9 for a large gin and tonic, and £4.50 for a bottle of Becks, I can't help thinking I'm back in the West End of London. I can understand that the pricing maybe structured around supplementing any guest's "dishonesty", but given the choice, I'd rather they invested the dishonesty margin in a barman, and dropped the prices
- The restaurant offers Table d'hote only - which in my experience is a variable feast. It can be successful if the menu is sufficiently versatile, and the dishes are all of excellent standard. However, we found the choice of starters and mains a little too restrictive. To be fair my wife enjoyed a good Goose Terrine for a starter, grilled Sole main, and a well executed Chocolate fondant dessert; while I had a fair starter of Scallops, but my main of lamb was poor - the lamb was cut into small cubes and cooked to a state of toughness not tenderness. It was not good I'm afraid, and this caused me to lose my appetite. At £37.50 without the wine, the meal didn't feel like great value. I really would have preferred a la carte, and I wonder if the hotel should consider opening its doors to the broader public as a restaurant in order to support the additional investment that a la carte demands...
- ...which brings me on to the other reservation about the restaurant experience, and that of the broader social areas of the hotel (lounge and bar area); the very, very quiet environment. I know this is a country retreat, but the hushed tones over dinner, and the need for whispering over a pre-dinner drink, does start to get a little tiresome. The atmosphere felt pretty dead, and in our view would really have benefitted from a little light music to lift the otherwise stony silence that permeated the hotel. We were relieved we were able to go back to the cottage and enjoy a pleasant conversation in our living room without fear of being conspicuous - and I think if we'd been in the main hotel we'd have been quite frustrated at having no where to go. Again, this is a personal thing perhaps - maybe some people will enjoy the extreme peace and quiet, and don't get me wrong, we weren't looking for a thumping rave; but we did feel excessively self-conscious
- The service, while attentive, was sometimes verging on the "hovering" - to be fair I don't think we could criticise the staff for this - I think they were just a casualty of the lack of life in the place; their presence was very obvious
- The double bed is 2 singles pushed together, and is only for people who like VERY soft mattresses; I mean the type that you are completely consumed by. For us this was a significant downside - as we prefer a firmer mattress, and we didn't get any decent sleep as a result. This is an individual thing, so some may prefer to push this into the "pros" section
- When we returned from breakfast at about 10.30, we found our room was already being cleaned. Unfortunately, when we're on holiday we tend to be quite lazy, and like to throw on our clothes, have breakfast, then come back and get spruced up and changed for the day ahead. So we had to wait for our room to be cleaned before we could do that. This also meant that our towels couldn't be changed after we used them, as the room had already been serviced before we had our showers - I'd suggest this can be easily addressed by cleaning the rooms an hour after breakfast has concluded
- Finally, we were disappointed to learn that checkout was 11am. My wife and I are always rushing around, so when we take a break, we like to move a little more slowly. But 11am really didn't give us a chance to have a leisurely lie-in, enjoy breakfast, and then come back get changed and pack and leave - at the pace we like to run things. I'm sure other people would have no problem with this, but this is an issue for us. When we asked if we could have a late checkout we were told we couldn't because they had someone else checking into our room that afternoon. To be honest, I think the hotel needs to consider pushing back its check-in time, in favour of a later check out time - that would suit us much better; I think most people are happy to wait to check in if they happen to turn up that early (and the hotel is very well suited to accommodating you while you wait) - and equally I think most people would prefer to not have an excessively early deadline to vacate their room

Hopefully this can be viewed as constructive and helpful. Park House are definitely aiming in the right direction, but there are a few key issues that need to be addressed in order to make this a place that I would unreservedly recommend vs recommend with caveats

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pilch9
phhmanager, General Manager at Park House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Dear Pilch9,

Thank you very much for posting a detailed review of Park House on Trip Advisor.
We are pleased to read that you found the hotel and cottage pleasant. We are equally pleased with your experience of the staff at Park House.

In response to your negative experiences we have briefed the food and beverage team on making sure that back ground music is playing in the dining room. We have also discussed the issue of guests feeling like the waiting staff are hovering.
We aim to facilitate a peaceful atmosphere for guests not an uncomfortable one, and take your point about the music being beneficial.
I am saddened to hear that your main course was not appetising, its a shame that we were not given that information at the time in order to rectify the problem for you.

Although our menu is not a la carte we do try to have at least 6 -7 choices per course on the menu which changes each month. We are looking in to having daily specials to give guests more choice from the menu.

We find the check in time of 3pm and check out time at 11am works well for most guest, and we will always accommodate a late check out if we can, but advanced booking for this is advised.
However we will monitor this , should we receive further comments from our future guests.

Our beds have always been highly praised for there sumptuous feel, however it is personnel choice, we do stock a selection of pillows for individual needs but it would be impossible for us to the same with mattresses. Its a shame this caused an uncomfortable nights sleep for you.

Normally house keeping ask to service the room if it is still early or during breakfast, i am sorry this did not happen during your stay.

Once again thank you for your comments, it has certainly given us plenty of information on areas that need improvement.

We do hope that your experience will not cause you to avoid staying with us in the future.

Kind regards