“Very friendly and knowledgeable staff!”

Rookin House Activity Centre
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Troutbeck
More attraction details
Owner description: Established for over 20 years Rookin House has an amazing range of activities at competitive prices.We can offer activities for individuals, families and large groups including stag& hen and corporate.We are situated half way between Keswick and Penrith (9miles from each) and 4 miles from Ullswater.The mountain range of Blencathra provides a stunning back drop for the centre.Activities include Horse Riding, Pony Trekking, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Air Rifles, Archery, Indoor Karting, Human Bowling, Zip Wire, Assault Course, Argo Cat Off Road Experience, Dakar 4 X 4 and a Stalwart Army Truck.Pre-booking advisable.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very friendly and knowledgeable staff!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked a 1 hour horse trek and as a beginner was given a very friendly horse (Winston) and given some basic pointers on how to get the horse moving in the right direction. Rachel our leader was very good at identifying corrections needed and took us out on a lovely trek in the local area. Would highly recommend this centre.

1 Thank Fraser_Kerr_84
rookinhouse_13, Owner at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you so much great to hear you had a brilliant time1

• Arabic first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lots to do but book in advance”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This activity centre takes some getting to. Very narrow and undulating country lanes, steep in places. There is lots to do but you need to book in advance. You can stay over but the prices seemed steep to me. As were the activities. We paid £80 for 35 laps in go-karts. Short laps in a barn where the horses stay overnight. They water the horse manure to make the track slippery but the result is muck literally everywhere. They provide hairnets, helmets and coveralls. Wasn't offered eye protection which is advisable. We were passing and wanted a go on the quads but they were not available for four hours. So we opted for the go-karts. There is a stocky chap working there who is fairly pedantic over booking, not the best welcome. Doubt if I'd go back.

2 Thank johnM9693YC
rookinhouse_13, Owner at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
There is lots and lots to do but we do advise that it is ESSENTIAL to book and do have "booking essential" on every page of our leaflet right next to our telephone number. If you happen to just walk in we will do our very best to fit you on an activity but if we have clients that have booked our equipment and/or instructors up already we can't do anything about that. We could fit you in for the quad biking but as you said it wasn't for 4 hours as the instructor was booked until then. You had a look round the centre and booked the indoor go kart rally cross after looking and seeing quite clearly the indoor track which is great fun. We do have a sign up saying goggles can be provided if requested, the majority of people don't want them but I will have a look to see if we can make the sign more prominent! The Escorted quad treks are great fun we do a 20 minute taster session for those who have never done it before and the hour goes through our wood on Great Mell Fell with over 350 acres to explore for people that have done quads before and for those who haven't done much before but are keen to do more than a 20 minute taster session then the 40 minute trek is a good option. Our pricing is very, very competitive for the things we offer. We have half days starting at £25.00 and full days from £75.00. We do encourage customer feedback and have a guest book on site but as you thanked us when you left and said you would book next time I didn't realise that you were not 100% happy which is a shame.
Billingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Although other reviews said Rookin House was amazing and delightful, my experience was far from it. I went Go Karting and the photo makes it out to be lovely on a clean surface, however it was the total opposite. The circuit was very small and very unclean and covered in horse poo as horses are aloud to roam on the Go Karting arena at night. The overalls we were given to wear were inside out and dirty, smelling of sweat and covered in horse poo and the wellies which i was given (optional) left a horrible rash on both of my legs. Over all the experience was very poor and false advertised. Other activities there may be better but I would never do Go Karting there again and for the ridiculious price of £70 (for three people) it was very over priced.

3 Thank northeast23
rookinhouse_13, Owner at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Hello
I am sorry you didn't enjoy the indoor go kart rally cross but we do not falsely advertise. It quite clearly indicates in the leaflet that horse muck covers the track to give a slippy surface. We have ran this activity for over 25 years and have plenty of excellent feed back. We also reiterate at the time of booking the fact that our go karts are not like any other go karts as they are off road karts with nobbly tyres on the front to give some grip and there are slicks on the back to give slide and the track is tarmac with horse muck on the top and that we add water to make it slippy. Cost wise it is £16.50 for 25 laps, £20 for 35 laps and £23.50 for 45 laps. As you said we have plenty of activities to choose from and I am sure we would have a variety of activities that you would enjoy!
Deborah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great fun in any weather”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are just back from a day at Rookin House. We started the morning with Dakar where my boyfriend drove around the site with Ali guiding us round. Ali was great, really friendly and good at telling my boyfriend how to manouver. It was then onto quad biking - neither of us had driven one before and this was just right for us. As it had started to rain we were given waterproofs too, which was great. After lunch we saddled up and went on a pony trek through the hills (my favourite part of the day). Rachel was our guide and she was very good at leading the group and making sure we were okay - she even helped calm the nerves of the 8/9 year old on our trek. The horses look well cared for and although a little mis-behaved it wouldn't stop me doing it again! Thanks Rookin!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank hannybaubers
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good fun!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Tried archery, first time for me (not very good!!), but really enjoyed it. There was my husband, my 13 year old daughter and myself. It was great fun, the girl who took us ,(owners daughter), was very friendly and helpful. The hour went in too fast. Would go again :)

Visited June 2013