“Great Fun & A Warm Welcome”

Rookin House Activity Centre
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Troutbeck
More attraction details
Owner description: Established for over 20 years Rookin House has an amazing range of activities at competitive prices.We can offer activities for individuals, families and large groups including stag& hen and corporate.We are situated half way between Keswick and Penrith (9miles from each) and 4 miles from Ullswater.The mountain range of Blencathra provides a stunning back drop for the centre.Activities include Horse Riding, Pony Trekking, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Air Rifles, Archery, Indoor Karting, Human Bowling, Zip Wire, Assault Course, Argo Cat Off Road Experience, Dakar 4 X 4 and a Stalwart Army Truck.Pre-booking advisable.
Cumbria
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Fun & A Warm Welcome”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you're looking for something that's great for older teens and adults alike this is a great place to go. This is the second time we've gone - the first time was for our son's 21st birthday - he and a few friends had a great time clay pigeon shooting, quad biking and having a go at archery - much better and more memorable than getting drunk at some holiday destination! My husband's 50th and son's 25th fell within a few days of each other and I booked another visit to Rookin - just for clay pigeon shooting this time. They loved it! Alistair was great again. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. You're guaranteed a warm welcome whenever you arrive - we were late (completely our fault)

Visited May 2013
1 Thank GizmosmumCumbria

• Arabic first
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good fun and plenty to do for everyone”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

It was a really good day, we did the horse riding this time. Had a really good time, amazing views and good company. The horses were all well behaved and the organisation was all brilliant! Will definitely be going back to try some of their other activities, you could spend a whole weekend there there's so much to do!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank emmal1201
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Quad Biking Trek”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Wow what can I say....I am a massive petrol head and love adventure and danger !This year for my birthday I decided that I want to do Quad Biking with a group of friends (7). I was slightly worried when I booked the Challenging Trek as some of my friends had not done it before and I thought it might end up being a quick ride on a big field over a few bums etc - By god I was wrong....the trail was insane! Very technical in some places (especially in the forest). Our instructor was friendly, helpful and kept the trail interesting at all times. I couldn't recommend Rookin House enough it was great from start to finish! Top Tip - wish for rain as it makes the experience even better! Chances are your wish will come true given the weather in the UK!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank TKing888
Oxford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Rookin House - Equestrian”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A great set up, a great variety of ponies and horses, friendly staff and fabulous countryside for trekking. Highly recommend, whether you are a beginner or experienced rider.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ellen B
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Perfect activities for the snow”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our holiday was originally booked to climb Helvellyn and Skiddaw however the weather warnings due to snow made us rethink our plans. One of the many options was for a quad bike trek at Rookin House. We pre-booked a couple of days before coming up, adding a JCB experience to our package as we thought it looked intriguing.

We arrived early and were given waterproofs and wellies to kit ourselves up in ( and were taken out to the 350 quads. We'd booked the hour long session so the beginning was spent getting used to the bikes and so that our instructor, James, could work out how capable we were at controlling them. We must have passed his test because he led us across the road and through the forest, working our way up the hill through the snow, with a couple of sticking points that were expertly sorted out by James, until we had the most amazing view of both the Helvellyn and Skiddaw ranges, the glint coming from the slopes made us very glad that we weren't climbing them!

The blast back down was a lot quicker than going up but with a few extra obstacles such as a steep slope drop closer to the centre it never stopped being enjoyable.

After a short wait which was mostly spent fussing the two dogs, we were passed over to Dave for the JCB driving. This was a fun 20 minutes each where we were picking and placing tires and metal crosses. Neither of us had seen this offered anywhere else before and thoroughly enjoyed it! Definitely recommended for anyone visiting the centre for other activities.

All in all a fantastic afternoon with well-maintained quad bikes and excellent guides. Definitely recommended!

Visited March 2013