“Great food and friendly service”
Review of Sportsman's Inn

Sportsman's Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Troutbeck
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Sportsman’s Inn is 7 miles from Penrith and the M6, and 7 miles from Keswick, and Ullswater. It’s a well know icon and landmark, and is used by many customers as a central point to meet up with friends and family. Catering for all tastes, serving pub grub cooked to a tasty high standard, with many customers highly recommending this pub/restaurant. Fantastic views outside, Nice beer garden. Plenty of parking.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Well run pub with great food at reasonable prices though understandably busy. A homemade steak pudding was perfect after a long walk.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Good food. My wife and I had steak and Ale pie and chips with a separate portion of vegetables. Service was quick with pleasant staff.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the second year my family and I have visited the Sportsman and we weren't disappointed. We ate there every night as we loved the food so much and also the warm and friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble. I particularly enjoyed the sizzling Terryaki duck stir fry. I found the Lighter Bites section was a welcome addition to the Menu as my elderly father only has a small appetite and he found this ideal for him. A great pub run by a great family. Good luck at Uni Chloe.

Ian L, Owner at Sportsman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Hi Pat,

Many thanks for those kind words.

It was a pleasure to see and serve you and your family again, it's always a treat when someone acknowledges the hard work that goes on behind the scenes!!

Your Dad is a great character!! I'm already looking forward to your next visit and hope it's not to long away.

Chloe says thank you!!!

Krs

Ian

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great food, service and views. Take way service also available :-) The owners were extremely welcoming and friendly

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Attended for Sunday lunch recently - a group of seven. Menu was varied but when food was received it was quite clear microwave had been well utilised. Long wait for desserts despite place being quiet, had to remind them we were still around. Paid the bill and another member of our party went to the bar a few minutes later to pay (not knowing the bill had been settled) only to find the same barman taking payment in cash again before we stopped him.

1  Thank Cumbrian W
Ian L, Owner at Sportsman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Cumbrian W, Cumbrian W, just when I thought I was on a roll, 5 or 6 ‘Excellent’ reviews then yours, strangely enough from another nameless/faceless local with nothing in their Trip Advisor profile, and they chose The Sportsman’s ‘ for the first pointless contribution on Trip Advisor………..deep joy

Anyway seriously, to your comments……..

Microwaves

You clearly know more about catering and food than I do, because I’ll be honest with you W. if I was out for dinner with Susan and I ordered say the soup of the day, if it came out hot and tasted good, frankly, I wouldn’t know if it was cooked on gas, electric, an aga, a tagine, a BBQ , or rolled between the thighs of a nubile Cuban cigar maker ……. How can you tell what the heating method is? Please….let me into your trade secret……do you have a ‘micro monitor’ hidden in your bow tie?
Anyway, let’s explore your allegations of 'Double Charger ‘which seems to be the main thrust of your comment. (I think you may have coined a phrase W, it’s a new one on me) I have to say though before that, you have very generous friends, two of them went to the bar to pick up the whole tab for 7 people, what was that £120 with drinks?? So, double charger..... You obviously don't know how a till system works. When friend No1 paid the bill, the charges on the table would have been cleared, it's an automated process and not in the hands of the bar person, when friend No2 went to pay the table there wouldn’t have been anything left on the till to pay as it was cleared by friend No1 and ready for sale again...???? If you think about it logically W, how could we turn tables around, sometimes 4 or 5 times on a busy day, if the bill wasn’t cleared every time someone left and paid it …’doooooohhhhhh’ I hear you say (Light bulb moment) ‘OMG I feel such an idiot now’. Joe was on the bar on Sunday, I’ve spoken with him and with Nigel, a local who was sat at the bar when friend NO2 came to pay, both Nigel and Joe say that it was friend NO2 who was totally confused when Joe couldn’t find the bill (remember it had already been cleared by friend NO1 earlier), at no point as you insinuate did Joe try to charge friend NO2 again, he couldn’t, the technology just doesn’t allow it, I know he would have made a very valiant effort to find the bill as according to Joe friend NO2 was very irate and insisted on trying to pay, but it just wouldn’t be there, perhaps as Nigel said ‘friend No2 ‘was confused with the lack of communication in your group of who was actually paying’?

All I would say W. is please, please, please use Trip Advisor as a constructive and informative forum for other users and think about the hard working establishments that have to respond to inane comments like ‘Double Charger’ I appreciate it’s your first one, but serious trip advisor users are more interested in comments about the food, the location, or its value for money and atmosphere etc.. and not the fact that you don’t know how a modern PDQ system works, I do suspect however, they may show a keen interest in your uncanny 6th sense of how a dish is heated……..

All the best