“Fantastic pub”
Review of Sportsman's Inn

Sportsman's Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Troutbeck
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Sportsman’s Inn is 7 miles from Penrith and the M6, and 7 miles from Keswick, and Ullswater. It’s a well know icon and landmark, and is used by many customers as a central point to meet up with friends and family. Catering for all tastes, serving pub grub cooked to a tasty high standard, with many customers highly recommending this pub/restaurant. Fantastic views outside, Nice beer garden. Plenty of parking.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great food, service and views. Take way service also available :-) The owners were extremely welcoming and friendly

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Attended for Sunday lunch recently - a group of seven. Menu was varied but when food was received it was quite clear microwave had been well utilised. Long wait for desserts despite place being quiet, had to remind them we were still around. Paid the bill and another member of our party went to the bar a few minutes later to pay (not knowing the bill had been settled) only to find the same barman taking payment in cash again before we stopped him.

1  Thank Cumbrian W
Ian L, Owner at Sportsman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Cumbrian W, Cumbrian W, just when I thought I was on a roll, 5 or 6 ‘Excellent’ reviews then yours, strangely enough from another nameless/faceless local with nothing in their Trip Advisor profile, and they chose The Sportsman’s ‘ for the first pointless contribution on Trip Advisor………..deep joy

Anyway seriously, to your comments……..

Microwaves

You clearly know more about catering and food than I do, because I’ll be honest with you W. if I was out for dinner with Susan and I ordered say the soup of the day, if it came out hot and tasted good, frankly, I wouldn’t know if it was cooked on gas, electric, an aga, a tagine, a BBQ , or rolled between the thighs of a nubile Cuban cigar maker ……. How can you tell what the heating method is? Please….let me into your trade secret……do you have a ‘micro monitor’ hidden in your bow tie?
Anyway, let’s explore your allegations of 'Double Charger ‘which seems to be the main thrust of your comment. (I think you may have coined a phrase W, it’s a new one on me) I have to say though before that, you have very generous friends, two of them went to the bar to pick up the whole tab for 7 people, what was that £120 with drinks?? So, double charger..... You obviously don't know how a till system works. When friend No1 paid the bill, the charges on the table would have been cleared, it's an automated process and not in the hands of the bar person, when friend No2 went to pay the table there wouldn’t have been anything left on the till to pay as it was cleared by friend No1 and ready for sale again...???? If you think about it logically W, how could we turn tables around, sometimes 4 or 5 times on a busy day, if the bill wasn’t cleared every time someone left and paid it …’doooooohhhhhh’ I hear you say (Light bulb moment) ‘OMG I feel such an idiot now’. Joe was on the bar on Sunday, I’ve spoken with him and with Nigel, a local who was sat at the bar when friend NO2 came to pay, both Nigel and Joe say that it was friend NO2 who was totally confused when Joe couldn’t find the bill (remember it had already been cleared by friend NO1 earlier), at no point as you insinuate did Joe try to charge friend NO2 again, he couldn’t, the technology just doesn’t allow it, I know he would have made a very valiant effort to find the bill as according to Joe friend NO2 was very irate and insisted on trying to pay, but it just wouldn’t be there, perhaps as Nigel said ‘friend No2 ‘was confused with the lack of communication in your group of who was actually paying’?

All I would say W. is please, please, please use Trip Advisor as a constructive and informative forum for other users and think about the hard working establishments that have to respond to inane comments like ‘Double Charger’ I appreciate it’s your first one, but serious trip advisor users are more interested in comments about the food, the location, or its value for money and atmosphere etc.. and not the fact that you don’t know how a modern PDQ system works, I do suspect however, they may show a keen interest in your uncanny 6th sense of how a dish is heated……..

All the best

Sportsman's Inn

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been going to this pub since my family and I first came across it when we stayed at the nearby Whitebarrow Holiday village back in 2000. Since then I have been coming back up to Lake District to walk on the fells and we have always gone out to visit the Sportsman Inn every evening.
I admit there is one meal in particular that has motivated me to keep returning. This is the Shoulder of Lamb served with either mashed potato or chips, steamed vegetables and mint sauce. It is beautifully cooked and the meat just slides of the bone. Truly one of the best meals I have ever had. No other lamb shoulder that I have had in any other pub comes anywhere near the quality of this.
Although I tend to keep ordering this when I visit, the menu is very extensive and there is a large selection of options to choose from for each course. This is sometimes supplemented by an additional menu of specials. The portion sizes are always excellent. This was demonstrated to me when I ordered the Steak burger on my last visit. I was given a towering burger with an accompniment of chips, coleslaw, salad and a spicy dip which filled the plate.The food has always been cooked excellently and is presented very well.
The pub is slpit into a restaurant and a bar area which has a pool table and a dart board.
The bar serves an extensive drink selection which includes the wonderful Jennings real ales made at the Cockermouth Brewery.
The pub's staff are always very friendly and welcoming and it is a pleasure to keep going back.
Can't recommend this place highly enough. It has always been one of the highlights of my Lake District visits.

Ian L, Owner at Sportsman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hi RichD,

Tears in my eyes when I read your review, many many thanks for taking the time to write about us, it makes the long days and nights all worth while.

The weather has improved now so I hope we'll will you again soon

With

Krs

Ian

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Lovely pub and great view, very fast service, food great and very spacious, would definitely recommend after a day round the lakes.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

although we had not booked the restaurant, the service and food very good and a good pint at reasonable price. The staff were also very friendly. I will try the mixed grill next time it looks great