“Booked for us as part if a tour package with ferry operator Smyrill Line which we used to bring our Land Rover over from mainlan”
Review of Hotel Laugar

Hotel Laugar
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laugar
UK
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We learnt that this summer hotel operates during the rest of the year as accommodation for students at a private school in Laugar. It served it's purpose adequately, just about. Breakfast was OK, but evening meals in the 'summer' restaurant were expensive and of average quality. Wifi service was poor and only available in the restaurant area away from the rather functional rooms.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank HJCM

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the only hotel in town. I chose it as the Fosshotel in Skafatel had been brilliant. This is not the case here. Staying in the middle of summer I really missed some shutters for the windows. Breakfast was less than I expected for the price, but his is a remote location and i guess that explains it.

Room Tip: bring some eye shades
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank waiake1

Travelers are raving about these Laugar hotels

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Not value for money. This hotel is not that if the cost was 60€/night, but for 150€ it should be much better. At least reaching 3 stars european standards. This is not the case. Fosshotel laugar is one of the worst I stayed in Iceland. We just slept one night. Ok just for one night is you have to stop over in that area, although I'd better take a guesthouse. Breakfast was correct. No wifi in the rooms althought it was said in the reservation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joan D
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This "summer hotel" is a boarding school the rest of the year. We had a basic dormitory room. In order to use the wifi we had to go to the main building. The restaurant and "bar" (I think the "bar" is a classroom the rest of the year) are in the main building, too.

The room was clean, but the beds were too soft for our taste. The blackout curtains did a fairly good job of darkening the room.

Breakfast was in the school cafeteria. It was so-so. In addition to the usual cold items, they provided eggs and sausage, which was nice. They also had bacon--but it was RAW. Not undercooked, RAW. I love good crispy bacon, and seeing this was torture! I hadn't seen bacon in over a week, and here was bacon--but it was inedible.

We didn't eat dinner here, as we'd eaten elsewhere on our route to the hotel. We did have a beer in the "bar." If you stay here, you don't have any other local choice for dinner.

It was in a convenient location for where we were going, but if we were in this part of Iceland again, I'd probably look for somewhere else to stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy49NJ
Kallo, Belgium
Reviewed July 6, 2013

How about starting your day by cleaning up other people's dirty dishes at the breakfast tables, as there is no other place to sit in the mess (I cannot call the place a restaurant, it clearly is the mess of a boarding school), and the staff takes no action. They had run out of fruit, juices and milk - with just a handwritten piece of paper "out of milk, sorry". As this happened two days in a row, it cannot be a coincidence.
The swimming pool is a public pool, which closes at 6 pm, so not very useful if you go on a day trip

Room Tip: Look somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan B
Jannali, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in August as I has a long 12 hour excursion the day between.After one very poor night's sleep due to a substandard mattress, I had the bedding changed the following day and was given a complimentary dinner by the management. There was also a few holes in the walls as it operates as a school when not used as a hotel.Breakfast was good, the people nice, but it is the worst place I have stayed on my 3 month trip, and I had to pay upfront for the 2 nights.There is a good swimming pool in easy walking distance and lots of scenic places to visit within 30 minute drive.

Room Tip: I would check my room before I paid.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DerekHulme
chapel hill, north carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2012

which you can walk too across the Highway. Rooms were large for Icleand, because as the other reviewers had noted it becomes a school in the fall. Breakfast buffet was standard. Dinner was, thankfully, not a buffet, and fairly decent. Close to the community gym and pool, but, you need to bring your own towel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank irulan7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laugar
Hotel Laxa
Ondolfsstadir Farm Bed & Breakfast
Laugar Guesthouse
Laugar Guesthouse
#4 of 9 in Laugar

Been to Hotel Laugar? Share your experiences!