“After reading the other reviews... I was surprised by my experience.”

Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is my first negative review I have ever done as I have never had such a bad experience. Probably one of the rudest ladies I have met. Accommodation was organized through work and didn't realize check in wasn't until 3:30. So I jumped off the long flight (about 1pm), grabbed a taxi  and was greeted by abuse from the female host for not ringing in advance. After apologizing numerous times and offering to come back later she continued to rudely check me in.

Now the place itself. I know work payed for the room, which was a good thing because I wouldn't have payed for it. For starters the room had a tiny little heater that did not heat the room at all. The screen on my laptop was bigger than the tiny tv provided. Bathroom was nice but was a bit put off by the fish tank with 2 dead gold fish floating on the top. The pool is well past due for a clean and is in no way is useable

Overall the place felt like a prison with a highly sophisticated front security entrance and my first experience of a B&B with cameras all over the place. Honestly I have stayed in truck stops on the nullarbor that were half the price and felt more homely than this.

So bad was my experience that in the end I packed my bags and left at 5am the next morning, skipping out on breakfast as I didn't want to deal with the rudeness.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Michael M, Owner at Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear guest,
It is very upsetting to find such negative review from somebody who spent very little time in our B&B. When we build our B&B the paramount idea was to make our guests to feel comfortable and secure, and if you look across other 99% of our reviews you will find that our guests feel welcomed, comfortable and secure.
• We understand how you felt after your long journey, that is why we accommodated you two hours early than our usual check in time, here however we have to stick to fact, you didn’t apologise, you demanded to be check-in. We understand that many people don’t know the difference between B&B and a hotel, this is what happened in your case. You didn’t make any arrangement for early check-in, you arrived in our working time, when we prepare room for our guests, we still accommodated you.
• We do not have a 24 hour check in facilities. Drawing on your case, we prepare and started send information by email to every guest prior to their arriving at our B&B. **
• I am very sorry that you misconstrued my accent in English for rudeness. I did not have the intention to be rude to you; you are my guest and according to your own admission I accommodated your request.
• As you admitted “The bathroom was nice, with the fish tank “….but two gold fish were dead.. Fact first, one not two fish died of old age, unfortunately it happen to all living creatures, if this upsets you think about our grandchildren, when visiting, they always watch them if this room is not occupied. We noticed, removed the fish and bought a new companion for the other one. Now about the bathroom, I believe you noticed that it is more than nice, we have been complemented on its size and design on number of occasions. It is the size of a good room, not many bathrooms in modern houses are of this size, it has large cabin with twin showers, a standard one and a vertical massage shower where water could be directed to three different outlets. There is a SPA, large bathroom cabinet with two modern hand washing basins, all of this is not cramped, there is still plenty of space left. Large size mirror and a lot of lighting make it light and airy with tasteful decoration of which the fish tank is only a part
• The pool is not a heated one, so in winter is not in use, in fact it was in winter maintenance and upgrade and a note next to the gate said just this. If you come during the full summer season, you will able to see it in use. It is also a bit strange to complain in one breath about the heather and the outdoor unheated and not in use swimming pool. August in Perth is the middle of winter season. The hot spa would have been better than the pool on an August night.
• In terms of the small heater, it is a four segment 1000W electric-oil heather, absolutely adequate for the room, but that’s not all, you had. There was also an electric blanket on the bed matrass and a woollen blanket in the wardrobe which we noticed you did not use.
• When we planned our bedrooms, we took into consideration that they were for sleeping not for entertaining; and that is why we believe this TV size is appropriate. This is not your home theatre, but a bedroom. The main elements of the bed and breakfast bedroom are a top quality bed, with top quality linen, doonas and pillows which were all provided for you.
• In our bed and breakfast you had a top quality bed with an amazing bathroom equipped with the latest technology hydro massage shower and spa, it was a pity you did not try it. We also provided a very delicious and healthy continental breakfast and the possibility to order hot breakfast from our extensive international menu, which you didn’t give yourself a chance to try.
• Cameras and security entrance – we are often complemented on it as well. You got an entrance code, you didn’t need to worry about the lost key, if you lost the piece of paper on which you had it written the code will be changed and texted to your mobile. Cameras are only in general use area, parking, passages etc. it is for your security and safety which is paramount for us.
• We hope you have the chance to try out on all the things you missed out on next time you stay with us.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast was amazing, easily the finest accommodation I have experienced. The owners were lovely, very welcoming and kind. Being a single traveller, it was nice to have great company for my five nights at Astoria Retreat and I felt safe and secure. I stayed in the single room, which was perfect for me. The bed was extremely comfortable with luxurious linen. It was spotlessly clean, airy and felt like I was at home. I had a desk to be able to study at, and the location was lovely and quiet. North of the CBD, it only took a quick drive to get anywhere, and only a short taxi trip to the airport. Natalie’s continental breakfast was extremely opulent; I ate like the royal family every morning! I absolutely highly recommend Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast to anyone wanting at home away from home experience and thank Natalie and Michael for their service.

Room Tip: I had the grand tour and all rooms were beautifully made, very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Thank you to Natalie & Michael - what a HIDDEN GEM !! Nothing was too much trouble and our accommodation was 5 star. Everything you would need was available and Natalie's special breakfast something to look forward to. Location to Perth central and its outskirts great. Would recommend Astoria to anyone :-) Was an enjoyable stay - thank you to our HOSTS

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I had reservations about booking accommodation outside the CBD, due to never having been to Perth, and needing to get to the Royal Perth Hospital each day to see a family member. On arrival from QLD we were greated by Michael and Natalie and felt welcome at once. The accommodation was superb we stayed in the spa suite, which was emaculately clean and peaceful. The bathroom was spotless and very relaxing after a horrowing journey and stressful days at the hospital.

Breakfast was a delight, each day we had something different to look forward to. The buffet had a wide variety of cereals, including mueslie and nuts. Natalies homemade compote, and rhubarb and ginger fruit dish, to accompany this was yogart. Natalie provided fresh baguets and accompaniments, also hot fruit buns and homemade jam, and marmalade, and at any time we could request hot toast, with an assortment of peanut butter, vegemite etc. Tea, Cofee, and fruit juice were available. The tables had fresh linnen clothes and napkins each day, and everything is spotless and clean. The breakfast atmosphere is delightful as you walk through the courtyard to get to the breakfast room.

I found that the local transport was efficient, easy to use, and only walking distance to the bus which takes you to the station, and straight into Perth all for a megre $3.80 inclusive. Restaurants shops and hotel are all within walking distance. If you have your own car you are only minutes away from the beutiful beaches, of the northern suburbs.

Room Tip: The three ensuite rooms had a shared kitchen, and were nice and quiet. As a couple I loved the Queen...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Michael M, Owner at Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Hello there,

You were lucky to experience our best room on offer and we are glad that you made the most of it. You are very observant and thank you for your little details that describe your accommodation and breakfast as well as surroundings and transport! Your experience is extremely valuable for anyone who wants to have an idea as to where we are located and what to expect on arrival. It was our great pleasure to have you here and even knowing that you are on the east coast a few thousand kilometres away from us, we hope that in your future travels you will visit Perth once more. We will enjoy you staying in our B&B again.

Natalie & Michael

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Tucked away in the Northern suburbs of Perth and unknown to most is a true gem - Astoria Retreat B&B.

Whether you're in Perth for business working nearby or a tourist wanting to stay somewhere away from the hustle and bustle of the city, this place is ideal.

The rooms are fantastic and the bathrooms immaculate. Very clean and friendly environment. The little kitchenette with a fridge, kettle, toaster, stove and microwave is ideal if you don't want to eat out every night.

The breakfasts are absolutely delicious - not just your average toast on jam. Natalie bakes the most amazing breads and treats.

But best of all - the hosts, Natalie and Michael. They are so friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome, to help you, make you feel comfortable and at home.

I spent 3 weeks with them and will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Hi!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay (particularly the breakfast)! We, as owners appreciate this positive review and it's always a pleasure to know that someone understands the effort we put in to make it the best possible and most pleasant place to stay; however we appreciate it even more from the point of view of future customers as they will know what to expect from our b&b.

It was our pleasure to have you at Astoria and we hope that sometime in the future we will see you again.

Natalie and MIchael

Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed at Astoria b&b for a week and found the location to be perfect and central, within easy drive to most places north and south of Perth. The hosts were friendly and very helpful. The accommodation was comfortable and it was very easy to settle down to a good nights rest away from home.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Hello,

Thank you for your very kind words. It was our pleasure to have you in our b&b. We wish the best for your future travels.

Natalie & Michael

Reviewed April 8, 2012

As soon as you step into the Astoria, you are made to feel so welcome and at home. Natalie & Michael are the perfect hosts and do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. All the details are taken care of and the rooms are all cosy, welcoming and extremely comfortable. Natalie greets you at breakfast and makes sure you want for nothing. I was lucky enough to stay at Easter so there was lovely Easter Eggs, chocolates and hot cross buns for everyone. It's all these details that made staying here so lovely. The continental breakfast is very good & offers a good choice of foods. I stayed in the silver room and it was so comfortable, clean and very stylishly decorated. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend the Astoria to anyone wanting something more personal and welcoming than your big impersonal hotels. I will stay here again. Thank you so much Natalie & Michael. I couldn't have asked for nicer proprietors and a more beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Hi there,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Easter is a time for sharing and giving and it was absolutely wonderful having you around. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we will be happy to accommodate you again if you're in our neck of the woods.

Natalie and Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexander Heights
Perth CBD
Verandah Apartments Perth
Swan Valley Oasis Resort
#1 of 2 in Henley Brook

Been to Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!