We stayed 3 nights and we both agreed it was one of the best vacations we've had in recent years. From the moment we arrived everything just went so wonderfully well but there are 3 things that really stand out about this place (not in order of preference)
1. Location: A beautiful spot right on the head of a quiet lake with hiking trails almost in their backyard &10 mins drive from bike trails. We intended to hike and bike during our stay so this was just perfect for us
2. Hosts: Valerie and Krenar are the most amazing hosts. Valerie is warm & bubbly and she made us feel comfortable from the get go , she gave us great tips about nearby attractions and made sure we were well looked after. We had a tour booked one morning and they had no problem serving us breakfast two hours earlier than their usual service time. Krenar is the star of the kitchen which brings me to the third and most important reason why if you are ever in the vicinity of Haliburton County you must give this place a look up.
3. Food: When we booked we knew they ran a fine dining restaurant on the main floor of the lodge (with a lounge and bar area equipped with a television) so we booked the meal plan (breakfast and dinner included) and it turned out to be the best decision of our lives The food is gourmet quality, each of us chose a different appetizer and entree everyday and every one of our choices was simply superb. Whether the unique Thai style Mussels or Lamb Shank, the Veal Chop or the Grilled Atlantic Salmon, I'm talking quality that fine dining restaurants in Toronto or New York city would be proud of. The restaurant gets busy at dinner so they obviously already have a reputation with the local cottagers. If you stay here be prepared to gain a few pounds as we did.
There are other positives too, our suite was very clean, spacious & comfortable equipped with a mini fridge and flat screen television with over 200 channels available via satellite . The beds are super comfy with feather pillows that your head and neck will just sink into at night, just what we needed after our active days. The restaurant by itself is worth a visit, I would drive the two and half hours from Toronto just for a meal, its that good.
Thank you Valerie & Krenar, you will be seeing us again
Carl & AJ
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether your idea of unwinding involves participating in a variety of outdoor activities, relaxing fireside with a book or a beverage, or indulging your palate, Oakview Lodge has something to offer you! Oakview Lodge & Marina sits right on the banks of Little Hawk Lake in Algonquin Highlands, Ontario, and has a number of great hiking trails backing onto the property. Complimentary canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, paddle boats and bicycles are available for guest use. All rooms have their own private bathroom and mini-fridge; Suites include T.V.'s and most have their own fireplace. A common lounge area with a stone fireplace has satellite TV, board games, books, and magazines. A small restaurant, outdoor deck and hot tub are also available for guest use. If you need a place to COME UNWIND, this is the place to do it! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Oakview Lodge & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.