Kirillo-Belozerki State Historical Architectural Art Museum-Reserve
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Kirillov
More attraction details
Owner description: The architectural ensemble of the monastery is one of the most important creations of the Russian artistic culture. The whole medieval town stretches out on the shore of the magnificent Siverskoye Lake. On the territory of 12 hectares there are 11 stone churches of the 15th-18th centuries, numerous service structures surrounded with walls and towers of “The Great Fortress of the Tsar”.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery was founded by Saint Cyril in 1397 and includes several small wooden chappels, the Assumption Cathedral and a museum. Be prepared to see even more frescoes and icons.

1  Thank mlusky
"grounds"
in 7 reviews
"village"

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited this monastery as a part of tour going also to nearby Ferapontov monastery. A well-informed Russian guide guided us through all of the main parts of complex and museums. From what I understood the monastery is still undergoing a reconstruction and you could see some of its parts were still in quite a worn state. I liked the icons on display, they very much remined me of Klimt's work which I guess is due to the golden background. From the optional things to do we paid to take the 60 stair climb to the belltower from which there's a nice view all over the grounds. Toilets are near the entrance/café and also at the back of the monastery. Overall an interesting tour and I guess it would be even nicer after all of the renovations will be finished.

2  Thank Tina Q
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I visited the renowned Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, founded by Saint Cyril in 1397 during my recent trip with Viking River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Although I was told that this monastery had received the UNESCO heritage designation by my guide, I could not validate this fact online. I, therefore, do not believe it is true. Nonetheless, the site did receive a cultural designation by the Russian government which I found online. The monastery is located in Goritsy, a tiny settlement near the White Lake (actually lake Siverskoye).

The Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery is also known as the Monastery of St, Cyril of the White Lake. It is one of the largest and best preserved medieval Abbeys in Russia. Although named after the White Lake (Lake Beloye) and the city of Belozersk it actually is located on smaller lake Siverskoye, near the present day town of Kirillov, a few miles inland from the village of Goritsy on the Sheksna River. It was one of the stops on our river cruise and it was worthwhile. Many of my fellow cruisers found this one of their favorite stops. I had to agree although their is one I liked even better: Kinzhi.

Goritsy’s Kirillo-Belozersky monastery, built in 1397 by St. Kirill, who left a life of luxury to become closer to God. Interestingly, by the 16th century, the monastery was the second richest landowner in Russia and had close connections to ruler Ivan the Terrible.

The walled area of the monastery features two priories and eleven churches, most of them dating to the 16th century. The monastery walls, about half a mile long and almost 23 feet thick, were constructed in 1654-80 to hold off Lithuanian invaders. It could not, however, resist the Bolsheviks. The monks were shot or sent to labor camps, though it was one of the few monasteries not turned into a concentration camp. During my visit in July 2013, only a few monks lived here.

We took a guided walk through the Monastery’s historic grounds, seeing several small wooden chapels, the Assumption Cathedral and a museum. We also dipped in the small lake which is said to have powers to make you younger. Several women dipped their hands and put it on their faces. I resisted. The visited lasted about 1 hour. It is worth visiting because it was very serene and very authentic.

I don't know the cost because this trip was an included trip in my itinerary. There probably is a fee involved.

5  Thank RocklandMom545
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We briefly stopped here as part of our Viking River Cruise. Due to the limited time ashore, we got a very rushed tour of the museum, which holds some gorgeous icons and other very old treasures. The museum is fairly small, but we would have liked to have had more time to look at things.

Our local guide spoke excellent English and had a lot of humor. No photos are allowed in the museum.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Although a Monastery, it contains only one active church and is surrounded by massive walls , the lake on one side and a massive gate entry with a slot where the portcullis must have been on the other. There are small former chapels where old icons are displayed with colourful robes and other places with silver produced locally. The nearby port of call is tiny but with plenty of stalls selling icons, some hand painted, furs, nesting dolls, birch items etc. There is still a considerable amount of restoration to be completed but the essential structure is there and forbidding given its history with Ivan the Terrible

Travelers who viewed Kirillo-Belozerki State Historical Architectural Art Museum-Reserve also viewed

Kirillovsky District, Vologda Oblast

Belozersk, Vologda Oblast
Kirillov, Kirillovsky District

Been to Kirillo-Belozerki State Historical Architectural Art Museum-Reserve? Share your experiences!