“Dirty, old and unloved”

Newcastle Links Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fern Bay
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Mould on curtains, walls and ceiling. No milk in room, had to get some in a cup the next morning. Room smelt very dank. Would not recommend. It is a long way from Newcastle. The only positive is that it was very quiet.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeanneKF

Reviewed July 6, 2013

As an international traveller who has travelled extensively, I would have to rate this motel as one of the worst I have ever stayed in. I wonder if this particular motel has been subject to any sort of inspection by the motel association of NSW. Upon arrival I was handed the key but not requested to sign anything or provide any car rego or credit card which I find very strange. The room itself was antiquated and I was greeted by the overwhelming smell of mould and mustiness. This mould was obvious on the roof and back of curtains. The shower glass was cracked and dirty and the beds were rock hard. My only wish was that I had checked the other reviews before booking. With the $ 130 we paid for a night I did not get value for money and my only recommendation would be to never stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KimMZunker
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently stayed two nights at this motel and in our opinion it was not worth the approx $120 we paid for a "deluxe" room. Office staff were friendly however that could not make up for a couple of issues. The sign out the front said "Pool" and "Foxtel". It was quite hot and we wanted to have a swim...no pool. My husband wanted to watch the football...no Foxtel. (New management had not renewed the subscription). The beds were very firm, I ended up using the bedspread and blanket under the sheet for padding...even then it was difficult to sleep due to a cricket in the ceiling making a high pitched noise (lucky I had earplugs). Room was also not serviced until mid afternoon. When returning to the motel after dark, about 8.30pm, the sign was not lit and we missed the driveway.On the plus side it was fairly quiet even though on a main road and convenient location for our purpose.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clapnpam
Reviewed February 25, 2013

the room was disgusting the place should be bombed there was a baby cockroach in the bathroom the shower was mouldy the room smelled musty i didn't even want to stay there after i walked in do yourself a favour and find somewhere else for $115 a night this place is a disgrace.

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia F
Reviewed July 18, 2012

find another hotel is all I can say.
yes price was average $85, BUT it's not worth it.
rooms were very small, dark & basic, bathroom you have to walk sideways.
heating did NOT work, I froze all night, bed NOT comfy.
I stayed 2 nights, NO room service was done & I wasn't told.
no shops nearby to eat.
there was only 1 other car at motel so that says it all!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank aussiesenior2
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Yes the room we had was clean and suprisingly spacious, but that is all the positives I can say about this place.
Upon arrival, the gentleman at the front desk could barely say 2 words to me. He didn't even get my credit card details, car rego number or sign any paperwork when I checked in! When we got to the room, I was taken back, but not deterred by the out dated furnishings. The room had a very stale smell in it. If I had the time to see reception about it I definitely would have.
The shower had little to no water pressure and the toilet wasn't very clean and the air conditioing was so noisy-very loud!
The location didn't bother me as such, because it was only a few (about 7km) from a venue we needed to go, but if anyone decieds to stay at Links Motel, please do not rely on the taxi service. It was half an hour late on the way to the venue, and on the way home, one didn't even show. We ended up having to walk the 7kms back!! By the time we got back, we were looking forward to bed, only to find the mattress was rock hard with a broke headboard.
Check out time couldn't have come fast enough. At least the woman at the front desk in the morning seemed much more pleasant.
What I was hoping to be a good weekend getaway with my husband, turned out to be a nightmare in my books, and I'm sorry but Links Motel was a contributing factor. For the $125/night I paid, it was not worth it. I have stayed in much better places for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maria M
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The motel is situated at the main road so it's easy to find although you might pass it as they are no signs before the motel itself. The whole motel looks a bit shady and is in need of thorough refurbishment.

The room was very small and so was the bathroom. If you are a bit taller/bigger you’ll find it difficult to use the toilet. Although everything looked quite clean I didn’t feel too comfortable using the kitchenware and have experienced few problems trying to get the kettle to work. The refrigerator was very loud but at least it was working. I was glad I have stayed only one night but I guessfor that price I should not expected any better.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 3 in Raymond Terrace
Sleepy Hill Motor Inn
Sleepy Hill Motor Inn
#1 of 3 in Raymond Terrace

Been to Newcastle Links Motel? Share your experiences!