“Successful Burns Night”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dereham, Norfolk
“Successful Burns Night”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We attended Elveden Burns Night for the third successive year.The meal was very good and well served. The post meal music particularly suitable.This venue is not inexpensive, but offers good value. We will visit again.

Dereham, United Kingdom
“Amazingly Busy”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have used Elveden on several occasions when travelling to or from Norfolk with our Caravan as it has a huge car park which can accommodate us.

We were on our way back from London today and popped in for lunch. We were amazed to see the car park nearly full. This is on a Monday Lunchtime, in January, on a road which is in the middle of major road works for at least the next 12 months!

There were two tables free so we were able to be fed.

As we were only looking for a sandwich, we both opted for the Gammon, Rocket and Onion Chutney on Granary. These arrived within 5 minutes of being ordered. The bread was fresh and moist, that gammon very tasty and the onion marmalade did not overwhelm the sandwich. All very good.

I am encouraged to see that they are very busy and deservedly so!

Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Never Again”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with the service and the food. Both myself and my friend ordered roast beef. My friends portion was at least 70% fat. Very embarrassingly she made a complaint. When we had finished our lunch we had staff walk straight past our table on at least 5 occasions congregating to chat on the sidelines without removing our plates. I then made a complaint to the manager who didn't seem bothered we were unhappy. Will never be eating here again and will not be recommending it to friends.

Elveden, Manager at The Elveden Courtyard Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Ms Brocklesby,

I am most disappointed to read your comments and am very sorry that your experience with us was not enjoyable. We pride ourselves on providing a consistently high level of service and food, so this is most upsetting.

I can assure you that as soon as you brought your unhappiness at the service you had received to my attention I immediately spoke to your waitress. I was then in constant contact with her to ensure that you were not kept waiting.

When you declined the offer of complimentary desserts I was more than happy to remove one of the main courses from the bill. Your waitress said that you were satisfied with this and that you thanked her before leaving. I apologise if my actions gave you the impression that I wasn’t bothered as I can assure you that this is not the case.

Please feel free to contact me on 01842 898068 if you would like to discuss the matter any further.

Kind regards,
Lucy
Bainbridge, United Kingdom
“Frosty to start - warmed up later....”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

An impromptu decision to call in at Elveden on a miserable Sunday afternoon for a late lunch resulted in a pleasant, but certainly not spectacular, experience here. Admittedly our party was rather more focussed on catching up with each other than making quick decisions about what to eat, but the waitress was distinctly brisk with us when the cafe was by no means full. However, once we'd opted for teas, an americano and either toasted bacon and brie sandwiches or the BBQ pulled pork baps things started to improve. The food was fresh and tasty, reasonably priced considering the location and came with the obligatory salad garnish and crisps on the side. Requests for more hot water were received well and we went on to order a round of cakes - the carrot cake was sublime, the coffee & walnut and chocolate not so amazing...but the jug of cream certainly helped! A nice location for a wander round with a decent farm shop and some other outlets in the courtyard. I'm sure there was a lot more to do had the weather been kinder. Some interesting looking events coming up will probably draw us back at some stage.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We visited Elveden Estate for the first time and were very impressed by the shops We decided to have a late lunch in the cafe restaurant as it looked very welcoming and the menu was tempting. Service was very friendly and helpful. My husband ordered a Guinness (the perfect place to have one) and I had a Shandy. We both had the sausage and mash which had high quality sausages accompanied by roast garlic mashed potatoes and perfectly cooked carrots, broccoli and beets. The gravy was excellent. Compliments to the chef! We finished our meal with an amaretto and chocolate cheesecake for my husband. I had the hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream, which was very tasty but the beverage could have been hotter. We enjoyed the ambience and friendly service and will definitely be visiting the estate on a regular basis. Free wi-fi was a bonus.

• Visited December 2013