“Never Again”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Never Again”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with the service and the food. Both myself and my friend ordered roast beef. My friends portion was at least 70% fat. Very embarrassingly she made a complaint. When we had finished our lunch we had staff walk straight past our table on at least 5 occasions congregating to chat on the sidelines without removing our plates. I then made a complaint to the manager who didn't seem bothered we were unhappy. Will never be eating here again and will not be recommending it to friends.

Elveden, Manager at The Elveden Courtyard Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Ms Brocklesby,

I am most disappointed to read your comments and am very sorry that your experience with us was not enjoyable. We pride ourselves on providing a consistently high level of service and food, so this is most upsetting.

I can assure you that as soon as you brought your unhappiness at the service you had received to my attention I immediately spoke to your waitress. I was then in constant contact with her to ensure that you were not kept waiting.

When you declined the offer of complimentary desserts I was more than happy to remove one of the main courses from the bill. Your waitress said that you were satisfied with this and that you thanked her before leaving. I apologise if my actions gave you the impression that I wasn’t bothered as I can assure you that this is not the case.

Please feel free to contact me on 01842 898068 if you would like to discuss the matter any further.

Kind regards,
Lucy

Bainbridge, United Kingdom
“Frosty to start - warmed up later....”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

An impromptu decision to call in at Elveden on a miserable Sunday afternoon for a late lunch resulted in a pleasant, but certainly not spectacular, experience here. Admittedly our party was rather more focussed on catching up with each other than making quick decisions about what to eat, but the waitress was distinctly brisk with us when the cafe was by no means full. However, once we'd opted for teas, an americano and either toasted bacon and brie sandwiches or the BBQ pulled pork baps things started to improve. The food was fresh and tasty, reasonably priced considering the location and came with the obligatory salad garnish and crisps on the side. Requests for more hot water were received well and we went on to order a round of cakes - the carrot cake was sublime, the coffee & walnut and chocolate not so amazing...but the jug of cream certainly helped! A nice location for a wander round with a decent farm shop and some other outlets in the courtyard. I'm sure there was a lot more to do had the weather been kinder. Some interesting looking events coming up will probably draw us back at some stage.

• Visited January 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We visited Elveden Estate for the first time and were very impressed by the shops We decided to have a late lunch in the cafe restaurant as it looked very welcoming and the menu was tempting. Service was very friendly and helpful. My husband ordered a Guinness (the perfect place to have one) and I had a Shandy. We both had the sausage and mash which had high quality sausages accompanied by roast garlic mashed potatoes and perfectly cooked carrots, broccoli and beets. The gravy was excellent. Compliments to the chef! We finished our meal with an amaretto and chocolate cheesecake for my husband. I had the hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream, which was very tasty but the beverage could have been hotter. We enjoyed the ambience and friendly service and will definitely be visiting the estate on a regular basis. Free wi-fi was a bonus.

Norfolk, England
“Great Christmas party venue”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Booked a table for 10 people for our neighbourhood Christmas party.
Nice food presented by the very helpful staff.
All in all a nice evening with good music from the band

1 Thank Davyboy99
“Christmas Party Night - what a lot of money for poor food and service”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We went here last night for a friends party night - high expectations as the menu sounded fab - what a let down. £35 a head got you amuse bouche (definitely bought from Iceland), a soup,starter with the smallest roll I have ever seen, a turkey dinner (trimmings were burnt, food was cold and tasted seriously cheap and nasty), and a baileys mousse (a blob of choc smeared all over the plate). It was dire! The service was shocking, the bar had no choice and what really was the biggest let down was we were no where near the marquee and completely missed the first set of fantastic band 'Maddison'. I would have minded if I had received a phone call prior to the evening to check this was ok - seriously no atmosphere. In my opinion, the estate is just out to make money and not provide good value for money christmas party - shame on you!

1 Thank Gladders21
Elveden, Manager at The Elveden Courtyard Restaurant, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Hannah,
I have received your e-mail and seen your posting on Trip Advisor.

I'm so sorry to hear that your evening here with us here at Elveden was not to your liking. I would firstly like to address the issue of where you were seated. I'm afraid that nowhere is it stated that you are guaranteed a seat in the marquee. I completed the table plan to fit all parties in and ensure that they are as comfortable as possible. I apologize that with your party this didn't please you.

Our idea was that yes whilst eating you would need to be at your table but then once
'Madison' started playing, which was only once everyone had eaten. You would then be free to move into the marquee as you liked, the same as people in the marquee could come into the bar area. It was an oversight on our part not to inform you that 'Madison' were about the commence
their first set, but there was no need for you to miss it. Members of other parties also seated in the restaurant did indeed move into the marquee when they wanted.

I'm sorry that during our telephone conversation you considered me to be rude to you. I was merely saying that we did have your pre-order and that we would have it during the evening to ensure that your order went out as requested. I did not intend to be rude to you at all.

I have spoken with my head chef and kitchen team who are aware of your comments regarding your meal. As you know here at Elveden we pride ourselves on quality. I can assure you that nothing in our kitchen comes from 'Iceland'. We are sorry that the food you received is not
what you would normally expect from us.

Kirsten has also received feedback regarding the comments that you have made about the service she provided. She also apologizes to you. I was on duty on Friday night for the entire evening and I'm disappointed that you did not make me aware of how unhappy you were in any way. If you had, I'm certain that we could have rectified the situation so that you hadn't left us feeling that you would need to e-mail me and complete a review on Trip Advisor.

With regards to the Trip Advisor review I feel it is unfair that this was completed at the same time as e-mailing me giving me no time to respond to you first.

I will also be posting this response. I can assure you that a lot of time, effort and hard work from my team had gone into the party night that you attended and once again I apologize that it didn't live up to your expectations.

Kind regards,