“Christmas Lunch”

Hintlesham Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hintlesham
“Christmas Lunch”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Once again we went to H H for Christmas Lunch . The food was very good . It is more than I can say about the cleanliness of the Hotel .I did phone up the Hotel the next day to point out the problems . My friend went the following week and find that nothing had improved . It is such a shame that nobody cares .

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Polish first
uk
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Myself partner and little cat stayed for the three night Christmas break as we enjoyed the same last Christmas and couldn't wait to repeat the fab stay again. Well what can I say. It was even more lovely than last year. It left a lasting memory last year and this year we were not disappointed. We arrived on Christmas Eve afternoon to the usual cheery welcome and lovely large glass of hot mulled wine to get us in the mood for our Christmas treats. We stayed in the same room as last year so knew what awaited us. This time we also had a bottle of chilled champagne waiting so that was the icing on the cake. This year there was no fridge in the room as they have been taken out. If there was any comment it would be that we would have liked it to still be there as it was very handy. Other than that all was as usual.Cosy warm room, bathrobes, large fluffy hot towels and plenty of good selections of teas and coffees. Our little cat settled in, we then enjoyed the champagne reception, meeting some lovely people this year, before then enjoying carols and finally our first of many fabulous three course meals. Mulled wine was offered on return for those visiting the local church later in the evening. We were so warm and full we returned to our room to find our christmas stockings waiting for us from father christmas (with a little help from Hintlesham) and another lovely touch to our stay. Our little cat has her own stocking from Hintlesham, so she was more than happy too. Next morning it was full english breakfasts before present opening and champagne again before our sumptuous three course Christmas lunch.In the evening we were treated to a great buffet just for the guests staying. This year surpassed last year as they had laid the tables out so that we just helped ourselves to all the goodies offered. How we had any room left I don't know after lunchtime but we managed. Next morning another hearty cooked breakfast and at lunch another three course feast accompanied by music. The candlelit dinner (with quiz later for those who wanted to stay a little longer )in the evening was our last night. Wonderful food, excellently prepared and always presented with such lovely attentive staff. After breakfast next morning it was time to say goodbye to everyone, and the people who had returned like us from last Christmas - maybe we will meet again next Christmas) Nothing is too much trouble at Hintlesham and the reason we keep returning is because it has a way of making you feel very special, in elegant but not stuffy surroundings, and you are always welcomed with open arms on every visit. It truly is a very special place. Thank you to all at Hintlesham (Shuna, Zoe, Tilly, Gordon and sorry apologies for those whose names we don't have) for making our (and our little cats) Christmas another that could not have been better. You are still the best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We took the three day Christmas package at Hindlesham. our room had been recently refurbished and was large and comfortable. The food was fantastic and the staff could not have been more attentive. everything was cooked freshly from local ingredients, The meringues on Christmas Eve were sensational!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lrpEssex
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Staff were extremely poor. On the first day when arriving at the hotel, the receptionist failed to acknowledge I was standing at the desk therefore meaning I had to specifically ask if I could check-in before even receiving a hello. My room was a long walk up several flights of stairs from the reception, there was no one around to help carry my bags or show me to my room; I again had to ask if someone could help me. The room was fair, but rather cramped; the hotel is in need of refurbishment. Before arriving at the hotel I had ordered for champagne to be delivered to my room by 5pm, this never arrived and consequently ruined my planned surprise for my guest. On day two we ordered for some tea to be brought to our room, again this failed to arrived until we made another call to reception. The radiator was not working in our room on the first night, meaning our room was extremely cold. On the first night we ordered two fillet steaks which were good, but I ordered for my steak to be rare and this sadly was served medium, which was disappointing given the steaks were £30 each. On night two I ordered fish pie, and forgive me for being rude but this was simply a cup of single cream with some fish. After an awful stay, we had to endure an extremely loud Christmas party beneath our room on night two which was so loud that the table in our room was vibrating; this went on until after midnight and made an awful stay much worse. I stay in hotels on a very frequent basis as part of my job, and have experienced all classes of hotel and never found it necessary to post a review. But this was such a dreadful hotel I felt compelled to share my experience.

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank VTraveller100
Suffolk, England
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at Hintlesham Hall for one night, including afternoon tea and breakfast. The house is very imposing and grand, and you feel like you are staying in a stately home. The afternoon tea was in the library with a roaring fire, very cosy on a miserable autumn day. We ended up eating a bar meal in the evening, and this was excellent - very high quality, presentation and taste. The breakfast next day was equally good, being prepared rather than under a hot lamp for a half-hour or more. The room was small, cosy and quaint, but could have done with a thorough clean in the nooks and crannies (as could some of the corridors and landings). The staff were very polite and trained to a high standard when serving meals etc. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malcolm H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Beautiful and relaxing hotel, full of character, gardens gorgeous. Carpet had not been hoovered properly but was rectified when we mentioned at reception. Bed was made quite casually which spoilt the generally high standards of the hotel. The rest of the room and hotel was clean.

It is the kind of hotel that once you are in it, you want to stay inside, so great for winter getaways. Service was very good. Dinner was good but were a bit disappointed with breakfast as they did not have vegetarian sausages even though we had told them in advance we wanted vegetarian breakfast. Quality of breakfast did not match the generally high standards of the hotel. But when we complained about this later, we got our breakfast charge refunded, which is very good customer service I think. Overall we had a very good time and I would recommend it. If you are vegetarian perhaps you should make sure in advance that they will have what you want.

We had a standard room but it was still very big and very nice.

The pool was not open when we stayed, due to refurbishment.

The massage was fantastic too.

Room Tip: Some standard rooms only have shower and some shower and bath, so ask for it if you want a bath.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bchighstandards
Ipswich, England
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We'd booked rooms and a table for 10 for one of the hotel's Christmas Party evenings this weekend and we all had a fantastic time.
The rooms were amazing value - more like small suites than rooms and beautifully furnished. They're all unique and each has it's open special appeal.
We all checked in early and had a lovely afternoon tea while relaxing in one of the comfortable lounges.
Dinner was excellent considering the numbers being catered for and the staff were speedy but attentive. It just goes to show that it can be done and done well.
Breakfast on Sunday morning was equally good with a large choice and all served piping hot and freshly cooked.
Wished we'd been able to spend more time there as it really is a wonderful old house and I'd certainly recommend it. Fantastic value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rikontour2003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hintlesham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Seckford Hall
Seckford Hall
#3 of 4 in Woodbridge
Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel

Been to Hintlesham Hall? Share your experiences!