“lovely place - choose room carefully!”
Review of Hintlesham Hall

Hintlesham Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hintlesham
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had a great few days at Hintlesham, despite getting a smallish room (Blossom) up in the attic - and we soon realised why it had a humungous fan in it! Very hot, could not seem to get any air in there. But it had an enormous shower and the bed was very comfy. The pool is still closed (and seems to have been since July) but as it is outside I guess we might not have used it even though it is heated. Food great - well executed and assembled - apart from the really disappointing basic supermarket crackers with the (good) cheese - no imagination or presentation which I think we could have expected for £12 - not even a few grapes or celery!

Room Tip: smaller standard rooms are on the second floor in the wings - under the eaves. Worth getting an upg...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hintlesham Hall

Reviewed November 10, 2012

A building full of character greeted us on arrival at Hintlesham, and I must say first impressions, from the welcome we received from the staff, was encouraging, pleasant but not overpowering. Our room was of good size with a large on-suite bathroom, in need, I must say, of some refurbishment, or at least some deep cleaning. (I can’t stand black mould in showers when simple products are available to remove them) Having said that the room and bed were very comfortable. To me the highlight was the dining experience. I found this to be excellent. Manageable menu choice, excellently prepared, professionally served. All the restaurant staff were efficient and exceedingly pleasant. Afternoon tea in one of the many lounges is a must, comfortable and indulgent ! All in all a good hotel that could be even better with a little more attention to detail in the bedrooms.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was very happy to stay here, the staff on reception and the porter who carried my bags were friendly and chatty. The room was superb, def worth £89, very comfortable bed and large bathroom.
I had room service which was delivered quickly and stil v hot.
Would certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed a night here as part of a wedding party. It is in a pretty location, reasonably close to Ipswich, although we didn't go to Ipswich itself. When we arrived, the receptionist had obviously just rung someone, and could have put the phone straight down as she didn't appear to get through to anyone, but didn't. We were disappointed with our room, Streamers, it was quite small, and the bathroom needed some refurbishment. The shower wasn't very powerful. The breakfast was fine, but not outstanding. Most of the staff were quite helpful. However, my husband accidentally left his jacket downstairs in the evening. The next morning, when we asked the receptionist about it, she sent me to the cloakroom to look for it, but it wasn't there. In he end it was only because I asked the breakfast staff about it that we located it. Overall, there was nothing really bad about our stay, but if I wanted a similar place to stay, I wouldn't go back, as there are plenty of other places to choose from, where I think we might do better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I googled for a pet friendly hotel in Suffolk and Hintlesham looked promising. On checking in I was shown to my room which was separate from the hotel and told dogs were not allowed anywhere in the main building and, furthermore, must be kept on a lead at all times when leaving the room. Not quite pet friendly so why pretend to be?
I could not just leave my dog alone in a strange room so decided to have food in my room. I asked for a draught beer but was told it wasn't served because it 'didn't keep'. (I couldn't imagine this as a golf club is adjacent). The next morning I saw two draught beer pulls in the bar, so I was given wrong information.
The TV showed Sky on the programme listing, but only something called Freeview was available. Say no more.
On the positive side the staff were smiling and enthusiastic, the breakfast was very good, and the rooms were clean.
Overall this hotel is really for tourists and older couples.

Room Tip: Very good for tourists but you need a superior room to stay in the main building. Certainly not pet...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My first visit to Hintlesham Hall which was a two night stay. My first impression of the hotel was 'WOW'. The exterior looked grand and full of character and I couldn't wait to see what was on the inside. The reception area wasn't particulary impressive however check-in was quick and hassle free. Our room Harriet was large and had a couple of wooden beams on the ceiling which added character, elegance and charm. The room was warm and well equipped with essential equipment. The bathroom was standard. The shower cubicle was on the small side and the shower head had some lime scale on it. Overall I would give the room 9/10 and the bathroom 7.5/10.
As part of our package evening dinner was included. We ordered from the Table D'hote menu, though a compact menu it however catered to my dietary requirements, in order words there is something for everyone, The food was tasty and the dinner experience was not rushed in anyway. The staff were fantastic, attentive and professional and therefore we felt at ease. We were led to what was a very beautiful and romantic dining room full of character. Though there were many middle aged 'well to do' people dining, we didn't feel intimidated. Being 25 and 26 years old we just carried on being ourselves and we didn't feel the need to act in a certain manner. Breakfast was relaxed and satisfying although it was busy. Overall I had a fantastic experience in a charming and relaxing hotel.

3  Thank AAJM123
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is an historic country house dating back to Tudor times, set in pleasant grounds . It's a great location if you want to explore some of the pretty Suffolk villages (Lavenham and Long Melford are quite close) or the coast towards Aldeburgh. We stayed 3 nights on a "3 for the price of 2" offer. Our spacious room was on the ground floor in what was (I presume) once the stable block - which meant a very short walk across cobbles to the main house for breakfast/dinner etc. The room was warm and well appointed, and had a large, very comfortable bed, but no room safe. Likewise the bathroom was spacious, with bath and shower, but lacked a suitably placed mirror for make up purposes and had a very meagre selection of bathroom toiletries (just shampoo, shower gel and body lotion) - for an hotel that is part of the "small luxury hotels of the world" group, this struck me as rather an omission.

Service was excellent - except at the (rather shabby) reception which nearly always appeared unstaffed (there is an office at the back, where the staff are out of sight - we found we often had to call them to attend to us).

The public rooms, especially the breakfast and dining rooms, are lovely. Breakfast itself was very good, but dinner was disappointingly bland, and on the third night we dined elsewhere.

Room Tip: You might want to request a room in the main house
1  Thank a m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hintlesham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to Hintlesham Hall? Share your experiences!