“Afternoon tea”
Review of Hintlesham Hall

Hintlesham Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hintlesham
Reviewed April 13, 2012

For our 25th wedding anniversary and my 60th birthday celebration,we chose to have afternoon tea a Hintlesham Hall. None of our guests had anything but praise for the beautiful lounge , the delicious sandwiches and cakes (we catered for a diabetic, 2 lactose intolerant and 2 muslim guests) or the attentive,non intrusive staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. A wonderful afternoon that cost no more than a moderate diner in a moderate restaurant!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mary Gillian R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Just spent a couple of nights here - a quick, short break on my own. Overall, it was great. Several cosy lounges, one with welcoming log fire burning, and a genuinely excellent restaurant. Grounds are attractive and the health club where I had a couple of treatments was good value (for hotel spas at least). The staff were very attentive - I was particularly grateful for the thoughtfulness of one of the managers who sought to make this female guest traveling alone feel looked after.

Why not 5 stars? It's just a little shabby in places. The carpets are thinning here and there, the books on the shelves in the lounges are scruffy and very old (not in a charming way), the bedroom I was in, though entirely adequate, was rather unequipped and tired. No hair dryer. Rudimentary mini bar. Tea and coffee facilities basic and more 2 than 4 stars. Bathroom fittings seen better days, and paint flaking here and there.

It needs freshening up, and some decent money spent on it to get it where it has the potential be. Though I was pretty happy. And do eat in the restaurant - really first rate food.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank countrygirlJo
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Hintlesham Hall was a great romantic weekend away. We stayed in a grand room in the main building which had all the amenities and peace and quiet that we wanted.

The staff went out of their way to assist us with everything and were extremely helpful in pointing us to the golf club next door where I could watch a football match and have lunch.

The restaurant was very grand and the decor was very unique. The food was presented very well but not to our taste. However, by the amount of non-guests coming to eat there, it was probably us rather than the food.

All in all, I highly recommend Hintlesham Hall. It has a great personal charm about it and you leave feeling really special.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loveoftravel1234
Reviewed April 8, 2012

What a find, our stay at this hotel was faultless from our arrival to departure.
Our Room the Queen Anne Suite was a dream, a comfortable large bed, seperate sitting room, and beautiful bathroom. All the facilities were modern without compromising the old world charm of the rooms. The staff throughout our stay were charming, polite and very helpful without being intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts which are taken in the wonderful old dining room were superb, all freshly cooked to order with a wonderful choice to meet all tastes. On the one evening we had dinner the food was, outstanding, all feshly cooked and very competively priced, but beware the portions are large on both of the avaialble menus. The wine list is outstanding and has prices to match all tastes and pockets. There is a golf course next door and gym and facilities which we did not use. The grounds are extensive and the drive through the gates and up the drive to hotel sets the tone for your stay. The Suffolk coast is within easy reach from here as are the inland towns of Lavenham and Bury St Edmunds and there are plenty of things to do in the area. Take it from me this is the place to stay and the staff must take \a great deal of the credit for this.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gandjowen
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Faultless. I would rather not write this review as I do not want it fully booked so I can't go again when I want to.
Staff, food, room perfect. If you find fault here then your are dammed hard to please.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We had a small wedding lunch at Hintlesham Hall, and the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating. Everything we wanted was provided: the flowers were wonderful, the dining room beautifully laid out and the food superb. The service was attentive but discreet, and everyone who came commented on what a superb venue, and on how beautifully everything was done. Those of us who stayed the night at the hotel were equally impressed by the well-appointed but individual bedrooms, and the modern and thoughtful bathrooms. The breakfast was magnificent. I can thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend this hotel, which provided us with a wonderful experience on a memorable day. Many thanks to all the staff - we will not hesitate to come again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I have visited and stayed at Hintlesham many times since my wife and I were married there over twelve years ago. I have never offered a review as my high opinion of The Hall is frequently echoed by so many other Guests. Having recently read a review that made reference to being unsuitable for children I have felt the need to share my experiences. We have three sons aged 3,8 and 10 they are all familiar faces to the staff at Hintlesham Hall. Whilst we have not taken them into the dining rooms in the evening we often take them for lunch and have even recently attended as non residents for breakfast with other family members that have had over night accomodation. I have never left HIntlesham Hall without wanting to return and strongly recomend a visit with well behaved children.

Room Tip: some rooms in the main Hall are very large and can be more difficult to heat in the winter. If you n...