“Good Experience”

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Good Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We had been there last week, as a place to visit its a good experience. We have purchased medicines worth LKR 19,000 and need to try them out so cannot comment on them at the moment. The Ayurveda medicines generally I found are pretty expensive in Sri Lanka compared to India.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank JenMats

Sri Kembangan, Malaysia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Dont be Fooled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We visited the spice Garden, when we arrived we were greeted by the so called herbalist doctor Dr. Muthy. We given a nice hot herbal tea which me and 2 friends like it very much. The Dr. took us around explaining the various plants & herbs and their uses. Than we were brought to the shed where he gave us leaflets, and explained what each product could do and how it can help us. We were than given massages for our head, neck and shoulders which was very good and they used their product. Then we were taken to their shop. The Dr. started taking the products and putting the items in our basket, he was quite pushy and didn't let us look around properly. If say he took an item and put inside and we took it out, he will say you need it as it will help you and so on. In the end, we 3 nearly had a lot of the products, I paid the most which was 33,000.00 LKR. I bought (herbal tea, slim drops & tablets, red balm & oil, sandal wood cream and oil & coconut king oil) Than we came back home and started the product called "Slim Drops" which will help you loose weight, after taking it for 3 days, I couldn't go to toilet, my motion got stuck, my stomach was bloated and I felt sick, I usually am able to go to toilet everyday and have no problem. I managed to go to toilet on the 4th day. Since I was feeling so sick and bloated and even had a terrible headache I decide to stop the slim drops. After stopping I still couldn't go to toilet, after the 5th day I could go again, and still was feeling quite sick by then. From that day till today, it takes 3-4 days before I can go to toilet. Its really disappointing, he should have given us the option of looking slowly and choosing our own products, we felt as we were conned. So far the herbal tea i have taken a few times is good and does not have any side effects .So please if you go here, try to get things that are external and try not to be sweet talked by these people.

Visited May 2014
9 Thank whiterose39
Singapore, Singapore
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“scam”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

my husband and i spent over USD 400 at this so called government run place but we found product not working and gave me rashes on my face. the salesman is very pushy and kept insisting on you getting big bottle of everything

i would suggest tourists go to spa ceylon or nature gift shop for a well made products instead

Visited March 2014
6 Thank nattana
Swindon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Herb Garden Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Visited with my wife on the 2nd day of our 2 week tour on our way into Kandy.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed it.
OK you have to go to this place with your eyes open...it is mainly for tourists, but however the Doctor (Ayurvedic) showed us around the herbs and plants which was interesting to see (though I found it amusing when a huge snake slithered across the path and he was insistent on me paying attention to his vanilla pods lol) and then he took us to down to a little education hut and talked about the medicinal aspects of the herbs.
This hut is also used for local education but they are expected to make a small tip for this and not purchase from the shop (where the tourists are taken so we were told that there was no need to tip).
He did demonstrate a hair removal cream on around 1" square patch on my calf. He didn't tell me what it was when he put it on so I was a little surprised when a nice patch of my hairy old leg dissapeared....cheers Doc I can now spend the rest of my holiday looking like I have leg allopecia.. :/
We did get a very nice unsolicited massage, head, back and face which was great.
Noone asked or mentioned a tip for this and I didn't get a chance to give one...though I would have, as the massage was good.
We were then taken up to the shop and given the opportunity to buy some of the items the doctor had discussed and demonstrated. We were not pushed or rushed into buying anything, but it is obvious what the place is all about, and thats making a bit of money from the tourists. But thats what happens to tourists everywhere...look at the tat they try and sell you in London!
We bought a few cheap bits for fun and enjoyed our visit.
In all I'd recommend it for a short visit on your way into/out of Kandy.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank WindsurfingRob
Bangalore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bogus”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were taken to this spice garden by our tour operator, Footprints. There is a Dr. Reddy who is a very good marketing person and totally convinced us to buy products worth more than 25000 SLR. It is not that they do not know the genuine products. But the products sold are totally fake and none of them work. The hair removing cream gave rashes, the face creams also gave rashes and the other medicines though did not have side effects , had no effect at all.
The liquid medicines are all arishtas which you would get in any Kottakal arya vaidyalaya. But in this spice garden, they were all costing in thousands of rupees. Not required to visit for Indians as we already know the basic ayurvedic and home medicines that we use in our daily lives.
Visit the place if it is part of your iterinary, but do not be brainwashed into buying anything.

Visited September 2013