“Didn't live up to the hype”
Review of The Cook Book

The Cook Book
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in St Just
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Feed the body and the mind at The Cook Book St. Just, a child and dog friendly cafe in the heart of Poldark country. Situated 'at the end of the world' in the lovely village of St. Just - one of the few places where you can still find Free Parking! Popular for its home-made cakes, pies and scones visitors return time and time again for our Breakfasts, Cream Teas, Cakes and Seasonal Menus. Why not order a Picnic in advance of your walk using our online store? We also provide Holiday Hampers using our own Farm produce and favourite Cornish suppliers such at Tregothnan Tea, Origin Coffee, Polgoon Drinks, Baker Tom bread and McFaddens famous pastys. Order online or email us. The Cook Book is available for private hire, and we often have visiting and local artists exhibiting. Outside catering can be arranged for weddings, birthdays and special occasions and all ordered through our website. Opening Times 9-4 - Seven days a week 9-5 - Seven days a week in July & August 9-4 - Mon to Fri, 9-3 Sat & Sun, Nov to March ​ We stop serving hot food one hour before we close.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We visited based on trip advisor reviews. Whilst it was quite pleasant we didn't think that it was anything special and rather overpriced. The food was nice enough but not sure it warranted the price tag, personally I think that £6 for beans on toast is excessive.

2  Thank Louise K

Reviewed October 24, 2013

'Oh my goodness daddy, I'm in Heaven' - these were my 7 year old's remarks having eaten a delicious, warm, bacon baguette this morning at The Cook Book in St. Just. They are words echoed by my whole family who had travelled down to Cornwall in the middle of the night, fully intending to visit the Cook Book for a well deserved brunch.
Freshly made, fantastic portions and a superb welcoming and friendly service by the staff and owners alike.
We will be back....... without a doubt!

2  Thank ANP2076
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I came to St Just to visit my Mum who brought me to the Cook Book having loved the concept and atmosphere of the place.

We came once for tea and returned for lunch with a friend. Both times, I enjoyed a relaxed and comfortable experience with good quality food and service. The menu offers an interesting range of food and drinks for breakfast, snacks and lunch as well as cakes and cream teas.

Wondering around upstairs is another wonderful experience, with cases of books on display and comfy chairs to sit and read on which made me agree with the sign that spoke of the attempt to create an 'oasis of calm'.

I will definitely be coming back and would recommend to anyone visiting St Just looking for a nice place to spend a morning or afternoon.

2  Thank Bridget B
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was surprised to read the read the negative reviews below. I have eaten in the cookbook regularly for many years and these reviews do not reflect my experience at all. I have always found the food to be great quality, home cooked using local ingredients, with generous portion sizes and reasonable prices.

It is a small cafe, and in the height of summer can get very busy, but the atmosphere is always pleasant and my experience is that any wait is no longer than any other busy cafe. Plus, this gives you time to have a look at the fantastic collection of books!

There are 3 great cafe's in St Just. Each has a different style of menu and a different atmosphere. All are worth a visit, but the Cookbook does the best bacon and brie baguette of any of them!

2  Thank paula j
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had lunch at the Cook Book,on a recommendation, and we were very impressed with the quality of the food and service. Although the shop is small it is well designed to be both a restaurant and book store. The selection was perfect for lunch. The staff could not have been more helpful. They even helped us locate the nearest petrol station. Will certainly stop again when in the area.

3  Thank Mike S