“Long Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Fransham
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Long Stay”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Following a leak and subsequent flood in my house it was necessary for me to find accomodation for a few weeks while the house underwent the necessary repair works.I e-mailed the hotel asking if they could accomodate me for 21days, I received a prompt reply from Jess and was booked in .
A very friendly welcome awaited me from Julie,and she showed me to my room, I say a room, it was in fact a goundfloor suite which was very spacious and well appointed.Later I met Alex and Jenny who along with Julie were very helpful throughout my stay.
The breakfasts were excellent and there was a great choice of tasty evening meals cooked by Alex.The waiting staff were friendly and efficient and always found time for a chat.
The work on my house was going exceedingly slowly and it was necessary to extend my stay, no problem for Julie to sort this request and I was offered a chance to stay in the Greenbanks Barn, newly built self contained appartments overlooking the lake.These are truly exceptional accomodations with fully fitted high spec kitchens with mainly Bosch appliances and all rooms have a very contempory look and are very comfortably furnished.
I ended up staying for 6 weeks, a very enjoyable stay.
A very good hotel, with excellent facilities, friendly staff and good food.
Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Try Room 9 or The Barn
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

After discussing my 70 year old Father's condition and needs with Jenny over the telephone, I was confident in making an overnight reservation. I must thank Jenny again for taking the time, patience and understanding in ensuring the accommodation was absolutely spot on. Jenny and Alex are wonderful hosts, made us very welcome and we immediately felt at home. We stayed in a ground floor suite which gave us both enough private space but more importantly peace of mind for both me and my Father that if he needed me I was immediately to hand. We were fortunate to have a beautiful summer's evening when we walked around the lakes and grounds and it made a pleasant change to find a hotel that had something different to offer it's guests.

Room Tip: Do ring Jenny and discuss your requirements. This will enable Jenny to allocate the most suitable a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have just returned from our second stay at Greenbanks. As before Jenny, Alex and their staff made us feel extremely welcome.

Knowing the hotel, we knew that there was quality fishing to be had on the lake behind the hotel. Despite the weather being poor we had a great time and enjoyed the sport the lake offered. There is something in there for everyone, experienced or just beginning and of any age. A number of the swims are also suitable for disabled anglers with easy wheelchair access. The fish range from 20lb carp to quality rudd and roach and all in an ideal setting.

Our room was more of a suite, with a lobby where my fishing gear could be stored containing a full size fridge and a microwave, a large disabled access wet room, the bedroom was very spacious and contained a single armchair and two seater setee as well as a very large double bed and a flat screen TV. To top it all, a small loft room with a further sofa / bed, chairs and a telly, just in case you have a disagreement about watching Eastenders or Corrie.

Alex is a superb chef, all the meals where excellent. My wife wanted soup one night, but none was shown on the menu, Alex just asked her what type of soup she fancied and made it specially for her. Similarly, in talking he found out that I was partial to a little heat in some foods, everything suitable after that had a little extra chopped chilli in it.

It seems that nothing within reason is too much trouble for them, service is truly excellent.

As we had booked for breakfast and dinner, and hadn’t always had a full three courses, when it came to pay the bill, Jenny pointed this out and gave us a bottle of wine to take home in lieu. Not many places I can think of would do that.

Room Tip: Talk to the hotel about your needs, they have facilities for just about every traveller, able bodied...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset
Reviewed July 3, 2012

A lovely hotel set in its own grounds some 20 miles west of Norwich. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and, joy of joys, with a sense of humour. I was with friends on motorbikes and at first there was some confusion as to where to park them but this was very soon sorted out and from then on the area was for “bikes only”. Wonderful. The meals were outstanding and there was not problem with billing each of us individually. I shall be returning.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be equal.
New Forest, UK
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This renovated, slightly isolated coaching house is situated in 9 acres of land including a lake, sandwiched between 2 roads. Besides rooms in the main building, there are several external ground floor suites which cater very well for the disabled, and this provision is being extended. The website lists unusually clear and explicit data on accessability. We had a ground floor suite which was comfortably furnished, nicely decorated and had good storage space for our belongings. There were also bunk beds in an adjacent room. The electric Triton shower was somewhat underpowered but everything else worked well. We had a very peaceful night and didn't hear any sound from the roads. There was a good choice for breakfast, and the "full English" was excellent. My wife thought her 3 course evening meal was very good. My steak was underwhelming, especially compared with a thicker, larger, tastier and cheaper one I had at a Beefeater the following evening. The owner was chatty and helpful, the staff cheerful and efficient.
Several items not mentioned on the website. There's £5 fee for using a credit card, I assume irrespective of the size of the bill but I can't be certain. In view of a warning by another tripadvisor client I was prepared, so it didn't arise. Our room had tea, coffee, hot chocolate and Horlicks making facilities and was kept very well stocked. Finally there is password protected wi fi which doesn't extend beyond the main house.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bugsy47
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We took a birdwatching group for a 2 night stay and they really looked after us, from the warm friendly welcome, the food was great for dinner and breakfast. The rooms were comfortable and so nicely decorated, lovely surroundings. We went for the local birdwatching and really well situated for the Brecks, where we concentrated our birding and the coast, great birding area.

Nottingham
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Well what a lovely and happy return since our last visit 3 years ago. Jennie, Alex, his wife Julie and all their staff were so welcoming just like old friends.
Our best friends were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and we invited them to join us for a 2 night break so we were lucky to get the last 2 rooms as they were nearly full with a family group who were up for a local wedding. Our rooms were next door to each other and had a private courtyard area which was very quiet. Jennie had even bought some flowers and chocolates for our friends for their room. They were both spacious and warm which was nice as the weather wasn't great that weekend. The food was fantastic both evenings. Our friends are both coeliacs and couldn't believe the selection of food they had to choose from. My partner was over the moon to see the special breads and chocolate tarts were still on the menu. Our breakfasts were delicious and we loved the coeliac sausages from the local butcher who we stopped at on the way home. I did get a bit of fishing in on the rear lake but it got too wet so we went to Norwich Castle Museum for the afternoon which is well worth a visit.
As the family group were out in the evenings the restaurant was nice and quiet however on the Saturday there was a couple who were quite abusive and rude to the staff and made us all feel very uncomfortable and one of the waitresses was clearly very upset once they had gone.
We noticed that they have written a review which I can only say ''use your own judgement and look at their other reviews"!.
We were shown the new accommodation which is amazing and we will be booking to stay there next time as it over looks the lake with incredible views.
We love coming to Norfolk but even more so to Greenbanks!
Thank you once again to everyone.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Fransham
#1 of 4 in Dereham
Dunston Hall
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Holy Cross

Been to Greenbanks Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!