“Characterful hostelry”

Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Characterful hostelry”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just stayed at the Old Point House while walking the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, and I have absolutely fallen in love with this place. The location is to die for. Its not up-market or glamorous, its a bit rough around the edges to say the least, but this all adds to its charm and character. if its a warm and friendly welcome you want in a wonderfull corner of Wales then this no frills hostelry is for you.

Visited July 2012

London, United Kingdom
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Hard to find but what an amazing secret pembokeshire place!”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I love this pub what a gem. Worth the drive along the track checking that high tide is not going to keep you stuck in the pub. Tough a good excuse if that is what you wanted?

Visited February 2012
3 Thank danfoster40
Port Talbot
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful location, excellent welcome and food but rooms a bit dated”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The location is perfect for quiet overnight stay. Opened the pub do to go out the car and found a full moon reflected on the sea just yards from the door. The owner and staff were extremely friendly and I felt like a local within minutes of walking through the door. There are three bedrooms which are dated and a shared bath, toilet and shower room which is new and was immaculately clean. Watch out for high tides on arrival and when leaving because the track to the pub floods on the very highest of tides. Lovely location for walking, sailing and a quiet retreat break. WIll certainly stay there again.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank HappyIronman
Cardiff, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great pub, a must for any visit to Pembrokeshire”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Been to this pub on several occasions, and love it. very old , paint peeling off the walls but you cannot beat the location and welcome . On both visits we all had the Angus burger and chips, was like a piece of steak in a bun! lovely and must say the best chips ever! take a look at the potato fairy's house at the rear of the pub! loads of space to sit out and enjoy the view.....can't wait to go back

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Gemani2
London, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“I just don't know what's happened here.”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Two years ago I spent a month working in Pembroke and living in Angle itself. During that time I had many excellent meals at this marvelous old pub, which if you haven't been to, is set in an amazing location besides the bay. The Landlord/Owner had just taken the pub over I understood, and he's a great guy, the staff were also really lovely and welcoming.

I can't rave enough about the various meals, both the quality of the ingredients, and quantities, that I had at that time and promised both my family and myself that when we had the chance, that I would bring them back so they could firstly experience Freshwater West and the surrounding area, and also have some great meals at this idyllic pub.

This past week we had that chance and on the day we arrived I promised the family, my wife, my teenage son, and our two younger children a great meal at this pub which I had talked about.

At 6:30pm they open up the kitchen and we were there, all hungry and looking forward to this "great" meal. Now I'm a big boy and have a hearty appetite, so does my growing teenage son, but my 3 year old son, as you can imagine isn't a massive eater. So when I ordered an (adult) meal for him, my wife looked at me as if I was crazy, and I just said that it would be fine, what he didnt eat, the other two would help him out I was sure of that.

As I had remembered how massive the portions of Scampi and Chips and Fish and Chips were the last time I was there, I recommended them and even though they were priced at around £9 each, as they were previously so good value, I didnt even think twice about it.

Anyway, our food arrives and immediately I get another look, this time not only from my wife, but from my eldest son and my 9 year old daughter as well, who proceeds to ask me why I had been saying how big the portions are?

Again lets put this into perspective. My fish and chips was good, the chips I'd go so far as to say were excellent, but my "fish" was virtually non existent. Without exaggerating maybe I had four or five small mouthfuls before it had disappeared, and most of that was batter, it was that small.

My Wife and 3 year old had the Scampi and Chips, again as I had raved about it, and the easiest and best way to describe their portion was that apart from maybe a few chips, and I mean a few, my 3 year old finished everything on his plate!

We left the pub about £55 lighter and were still hungry, which is not ideal after having dinner. In fact we were so hungry that we had to go into Pembroke to do some shopping and were seriously tempted to go into McDonalds!

Okay to clarify and sum up, is this a lovely pub to go and have a drink in and sit in the beer garden? Yes it is. Will you have a warm welcome from the staff and especially from the Landlord himself if he's around? Yes you will. Is the quality and presentation of the food good? Yes it is. But why they feel that charging £8.50-£9.00 for Fish and Chips or Scampi and Chips and giving a portion size which a three year old cleaned his plate, to an adult, to me is rather short sited.

For what its worth, this situation is so easily changeable. All the ingredients of a great pub with good food is there. Just go back to giving the great portions that you used to, where the customer felt that they were getting good value for money and didnt leave the pub hungry!

Visited August 2011