“Reasonable for the business traveller”

Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I have stayed at the Albrighton quite a few times but have neer yet had a room in the main building so can't comment on it. I have always been put in the annex which offers good sized rooms with comfortable beds. The bathrooms are pretty standard but always clean with plenty of hot water.
The food has always been up to what I would consider to be a reasonable to good standard with a fair selection on the menu.
I have been disappointed by the billing system twice now and found lunches on my bill which were not taken as I have been away from the hotel during the day, but apart from that, it is amngst the best in the area for the business traveller.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa

Reviewed May 12, 2009

We have just returned from a weekend at the Albrighton Hall hotel it was great. The setting is fantastic, our room was lovely almost a suite. The staff where really nice, helpful and polite. The breakfast was really nice and nothing was too much trouble for the satff in the breakfast room. It' is about one and a half miles from the towm but we where aware of that before we booked.

We will deffinately be going again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Our hotel room was in the School Masters House. We were not EVEN in the hotel. I opened the door and I was so disappointed. The ceiling had a very noticeable crack all the way across it. The skirting boards and walls (on the right-hand side as you walk into the room), had scratch marks on them (which looked tatty/worn and dirty), the skirting boards and wall should be re-decorated ASAP. The carpet was not laid flat and there were raised lump/bumps in the carpet. The floor was creaky and uneven. We had a view of the car park (people could see us) and had to close the curtains all to often making the room very dark because the lighting was so poor, we had to turn on all the lights/lamps to make the room bright. The bath tub side panel was dirty and had stains on it. The electric heater in our room did not work. A gentleman took it away and replaced. The remote control did not work and was held together by sticky tape and a piece of cardboard on the top that said fragile with care!!! I called up reception straight away about the remote. A gentleman came to put in new batteries. The remote still did not work, even with new batteries. He took the remote away and we never heard anything until when we were checking out. The lady on reception told us they could not find a remote to match the TV we had in our room. They could not replace our remote control but they never even offered us another room. They didn’t even bother to tell us about the situation until we were checking out, why bother to tell us when we are leaving? We put our clothes in the wardrobe and then the wardrobe door would not slide back and forth properly. We informed reception and they told us someone would have a look on Saturday. Our wardrobe was never fixed and we never received any feed back about the issue. I wrote a letter of complaint and never received a respose/apology.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We would say our stay at the Mecure was value for money. £69 bed and breakfast through Expedia. However, it could have been special. Unfortunately, we were in one of the "wings", which closely resembles conference accommodation. As we opened the door the musty smell hit us. After half an hour with the windows open, the smell became less obvious. When we returned from dinner, the smell had also returned. It was difficult to say where it came from as the room appeared dry enough.
The lady on reception was friendly enough. We said we were tired after a long day and she replied, "Oh, are you knackered?" Which we felt was not quite four star terminology.
The dining room is pleasant, with a helpful french maitre D. However, although there were sufficient staff for the quarter filled room, there were obviously restrictions on who could do what. When we asked to place our order we had to wait for a certain waitress and when we asked for wine, again the problem, which meant our first course arrived before our drinks.
All in all, a reasonably pleasant stay, in a beautiful looking hotel with picturesque surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2009

This was the second stay at this hotel for myself and my 10 year old daughter.After an initial experience in one of the wings I can highly reccommend staying in the MAIN HOUSE. We had room number 9 which was tastefully furnished and clean, and overlooked the garden and pond..Dinner was one of the best meals we have ever had in a hotel ( and we have stayed in a few )
The staff were all extremely polite and helpful, Paul Cox ,Pedro and Pierre in the Restaurant, Hayley on reception, and all other staff whose names we unfortunately forget were all so kind and attentive, that we have firmly decided to put Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel on our 'best hotels ever' list and we will without doubt be making a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank iliketostayinhotels
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Stayed with a large wedding party. It was an expensive room compared to where I usually stay, but convenient and I was looking forward to a better class of hotel.
They had offered special rates - and I had booked for a single occupancy. They charged me the same (for just one person) as friends who were sharing. They got a truly palatial room, with large lounge area and a wonderful view. I got an attic room with barely enough room for my suitcases and a view of the bins. Considering I was in a small room, using a single bed and only eating one breakfast, I would have thought they could offer a cheaper price! I was woken early in the morning by the staff noisily unloading laundry outside the window. The TV picture was awful and the room was only adequately cleaned. The reception staff shrugged off my complaint the next morning claiming that it was the way they did standard wedding charges and maybe it was because I booked late (which I didn't - I booked well before the invites were sent out). When it came to checking out, friends who were also in a poor quality room ended up being charged £20 more than those who had the luxury room - the reception staff clearly hadn't got a clue about pricing and claimed prices had increased and the others may have been undercharged "by mistake".
Having stayed in a Premier Inn only a fortnight before I would say they were closer to 4 stars than this place - very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2009

Located a short cab ride from the centre of Shrewsbury, the hotel is set in some amazing grounds and surrounded by green and open countryside. Everything about the hotel was as promised - great staff, pleasant and clean rooms and bathroom, and good value with the deal we got. They make their money up with the slightly expensive food - but it is very good quality. The spa was free to use but we didn't take it up.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albrighton
Prince Rupert Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!