Have just returned from a 2 night break here, booked largely In the light of many positive reviews, and I can only say that our experience fell well short of what I would hope from a 4* styled 'country house hotel.
Our visit did not get off to a good start as there was some mix up over our booking and I am not sure what the problem was but we were not given the intended room and the room we had in the main building was poky , noisy from the road alongside and hot.
There was only room for one bedside cabinet, which had one small drawer and the table come dressing table on the other side had one drawer which was largely filled by a bulky permanent hairdryer. The fairly small wardrobe contained an iron and ironing board, trouser press, convector heater and fan so there was little full length hanging space free and 3 very small shelves , so storage was a problem. There was no where to plug in the kettle near where the tea and coffee tray was. Fortunately we had a very wide window sill so put the tea stuff there near where the kettle was on the dressing table. This was all a bit makeshift and what I might expect from a small B&B not a hotel in this range. On the positive side there was a small fridge, (but no fresh milk), and the bathroom was fine with a good shower, range of toiletries, hooks on the back of the door and a handy shelf on two sides so no problems with storage there.
The food was fine although again I was surprised that no bread of rolls was offered at dinner unless. you paid extra. We were not on a DBB deal so were paying separately for our dinner anyway.
Breakfast was much what I expected although it was not clear that certain items had to be ordered, poached or scrambled eggs for example, and we were not asked by the staff whether we wished to order something which again is usually the case in my experience in hotels which have this system rather than everything buffet-style.
Most of the staff were fine, but there is room for improvement in my opinion.
I didn't use the spa so cannot comment .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 300 year old Shropshire House, a 4 star hotel with 87 en suite rooms, overlooks an ornamental lake in 15 acres of gardens in the heart of Shropshire just 2 miles from the medieval town of Shrewsbury. 30 min from the M6, J10A. Ideal for visiting Chester, Shrewsbury Abbey and the Severn Valley steam railway. Newly refurbished The Orchid Rooms at Inspiration Leisure and Spa offers a gym, fitness classes, a pool, relaxation lounge and thermal suite including a sauna, steam room, ice room, and six treatment rooms, two of which are doubles. 24 hr room service. Free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, ACCOR, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel Shrewsbury
- Albrighton Hall Hotel
- Accor Albrighton Hall Hotel Shrewsbury