“Very disappointing !”

Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night break here, booked largely In the light of many positive reviews, and I can only say that our experience fell well short of what I would hope from a 4* styled 'country house hotel.
Our visit did not get off to a good start as there was some mix up over our booking and I am not sure what the problem was but we were not given the intended room and the room we had in the main building was poky , noisy from the road alongside and hot.
There was only room for one bedside cabinet, which had one small drawer and the table come dressing table on the other side had one drawer which was largely filled by a bulky permanent hairdryer. The fairly small wardrobe contained an iron and ironing board, trouser press, convector heater and fan so there was little full length hanging space free and 3 very small shelves , so storage was a problem. There was no where to plug in the kettle near where the tea and coffee tray was. Fortunately we had a very wide window sill so put the tea stuff there near where the kettle was on the dressing table. This was all a bit makeshift and what I might expect from a small B&B not a hotel in this range. On the positive side there was a small fridge, (but no fresh milk), and the bathroom was fine with a good shower, range of toiletries, hooks on the back of the door and a handy shelf on two sides so no problems with storage there.
The food was fine although again I was surprised that no bread of rolls was offered at dinner unless. you paid extra. We were not on a DBB deal so were paying separately for our dinner anyway.
Breakfast was much what I expected although it was not clear that certain items had to be ordered, poached or scrambled eggs for example, and we were not asked by the staff whether we wished to order something which again is usually the case in my experience in hotels which have this system rather than everything buffet-style.
Most of the staff were fine, but there is room for improvement in my opinion.
I didn't use the spa so cannot comment .

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to offer my apologies that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.

We will look into the issues raised in order to prevent them from happening again.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for an overnight business trip on 2/10/13 and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is set in lovely grounds and is immaculately kept. Reception were very polite and I also received a free room upgrade which gave me a particularly large room with about a 15ft high ceiling and four poster bed which was very nice.

The bed wasn't the most comfortable I've ever slept in but was certainly perfectly good. Food and drink was reasonably priced and the evening meal was very good. Breakfast however let the food down as it is self service and had obviously been sitting there for a while so that the bacon, black pudding and sausages were quite hard and rubbery.

Certainly a hotel that I would use again.

Room Tip: The £20 upgrade is worth paying for as you get a much larger room, additional toiletries and free so...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Geust,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Quite a nice looking hotel in a (mostly) sympathetically restored and converted building. We had quite a pleasant two-night stay here in September 2013, albeit we once again regretted having opted for a four-poster bed due to the firmness of the mattress, despite it having a padded ‘topper’ fitted. The mattresses used on the four-posters are nowhere near as comfortable as those on the standard Mercure beds.
The hotel is in a great location and we had a good view of the lake and the grounds from our nice, spacious room (No. 7).
Although we had booked a ‘Privilege’ room with a supposedly complimentary mini-bar with free soft drinks, this actually comprised of a small, non-functioning fridge with 2 x bottles of water and 2 x 150ml cans of soft drink – none of which were replenished after being used. Neither was the fridge repaired or replaced despite having reported it on our first night as being faulty.
Some areas of the hotel do look a bit worn and tired now, for example the threadbare sections on the stair carpet and some peeling paper on the dining room ceiling.
One of the attractions for us when booking this hotel was that it had a spa / fitness centre, which we used following our arrival. This was quite disappointing; the changing rooms and shower areas were not very clean, with hair on the floors and dead / dying daddy-longlegs stuck to the walls. Some of the mosaic style tiling in the thermal (steam) rooms was very worn, with a few bits missing and quite grubby looking grouting here and there. Although some sections of this tiling had clearly been replaced it had not been done very sympathetically – in fact it looked like different coloured sections of new tiling had just been suck on over the old.
Overall, a nice enough location and building but definitely in need of some attention to bring it back up to a reasonable standard for a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Only choose a four-poster room if you like a really firm mattress.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

We at the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very much appreciate all your thoughts.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and having noted all your comments in order to address them accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited here last weekend with my husband, stayed for 1 night and had no complaints! Staff very friendly, room was in the old building which was nice( stayed before in the new part) Room was clean and extra milk etc not a problem. We had a massage which was lovely, only complaint not long enough!!!!! Everything was excellent. Meals included in our package, couldn't find faults at all, the chorizo Bon Bon was delicious! Plenty of choice for breakfast. We had a lovely stay and would definately return and recommend to others!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24, beamed ceilings etc very nice

Dear Guest,

The team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit to Shrewsbury.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the chorizo bon bon, it has proved to be very popular.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here as treat for my wife's birthday, was our second visit and we again found the total experience to really be excellent, helpful friendly reception staff, beautiful privilege bedroom and lovely surroundings. My wife used the Spa the staff there were very knowledgeable and helpful using top quality products.
We had dinner in the Oak dining room both evenings and again the standard of service from every member of staff there was excellent, as was the quality and presentation of the food, breakfast was again very good with plenty of choice on the Sunday morning we were very lazy and had it in our room and again the service and quality was first class.
Did not use of bar so unable to comment on that.
In all another lovely relaxing weekend, many thanks to all the staff who really do provide friendly but efficient old fashioned service.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury. The staff and I very much appreciate your lovely feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had a 5 night stay here from Friday 20th September. I had read a lot of the reviews here before I booked the hotel but fortunately the bad reviews didn't put me off booking and am I glad we did! This hotel is fabulous, wonderful location close to the gorgeous Shrewsbury, the staff have obviously been trained to a very high standard in customer service (something I always look for being an office manager myself) as they were incredibly helpful, friendly and professional. Could not fault any of them. Want to pay special thanks to Jane the front of house reception manager who was extremely pleasant and helpful, stopping to have a chat with us each time she saw us during our stay. She was very helpful in suggesting places to visit as well. Special thanks also to Aaron on reception who found out some information for us too. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
We had booked a privilege room and I asked for one in the main house. We were allocated room 14 which we were not disappointed with at all. A large spacious room on the first floor overlooking the front garden and lake, floor boards a bit creaky but it is over the bar so no worries about disturbing anyone! Lovely ensuite bathroom with lots of complimentary toiletries which were stocked up every day including shower gel, shampoo, body lotion, soaps, bathcubes, toothbrushes/mini toothpaste, shower caps, loofahs, emery board and Q-tips, shoe polisher, flannels which were changed every day. If I had known we would be so well stocked every day I wouldn't have bothered bringing it all from home! Certainly the best complimentary toiletries we've ever had in any hotel. The privilege rooms also include a bathrobe and slippers, a fridge stocked with bottled water, a small coke and orange juice every day. There is also a nespresso coffee machine which alongside the ordinary tea and coffee is re-stocked every day. To add to this we had a complimentary newspaper of our choice every day. The only one little criticism I would make about this room is that there was not a lot of space to put clothing. There is a big wardrobe (containing a trouser press, ironing board and iron, fan if needed and extra blanket) but there was very little space to put clothes that didn't need hanging. We did expect to find one chest of drawers at least as we have had in other hotels. However, that was a minor detail and not something that would stop us staying here again. The room was lovely and I would certainly recommend going for a privilege room if you are able to - do not know what the ordinary rooms are like. Ask for the main house too as although the School Masters House and the Stable Wings looked lovely it does mean guests have to come outside to get to the main house for the restaurant. I think, but not sure, that rooms 41-72 may also entail having to come outside to get to the restaurant but I may be wrong there. Just a small warning that if you are on first or second floor in the main house you will need to carry your bags upstairs as there is no lift due to it being a listed building. It is only 27 stairs up to the first floor but 54 up to the second. However, having said that Jane, on checking us in, did ask us if we wanted help with our luggage so I can't imagine any guest would have to struggle up the stairs if unable.
I had read reviews that complained about noise from wedding parties and yes on the Saturday there was a wedding party and yes it was NOISY that night (so I was told by my husband who didn't do as I do and stick ear plugs in!) but that is not the fault of the hotel. Probably best to ask when booking if there is a wedding on during your stay. It is a hotel in lovely grounds and it is ideal for weddings so I can imagine that it is used frequently for that purpose.
Breakfasts were fantastic. There is so much choice! Fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, hot buffet, breads, croissants, pastries, ham, cheese, Low supplies were always replaced very quickly. You couldn't possibly leave from breakfast saying that there was not enough to eat! Again the waiting staff were excellent, very polite, friendly and helpful. Chris was the supervisor for most our stay and he was very efficient, so also the lady that worked a couple of the other days. There seemed to be a very good rapport between the staff and the restaurant service appeared to work very well. There is a notice at the weekends advising that between 9 and 10:30 it is the busiest time in the restaurant - take that advice and go down before 9 and you will not have to queue.
A special thanks to the delightful girl that was in housekeeping and attended our room - I didnt manage to see her name but she had only been in the hotel for two weeks. She was so friendly and very efficient.
The swimming pool and spa are fabulous - the pool is as warm as bath, the jacuzzi lovely and hot. My husband assures me the sauna, steam room (which unfortunately was not functioning for some of our stay), ice room, aroma room were all great. Yes I can see why some reviews have said that it needs updating a bit but I wouldn't say that it was not clean at all, certainly not during our stay anyway. Facilties only open until 8pm at the weekends but until 10pm Monday to Friday. We made full use of them every day.
Shropshire is a lovely county to visit and the hotel is ideally situated to visit many of the surrounding villages and attractions. Ask reception for some tips as to where to visit. As Shropshire is so close to the Welsh border there are many places in Wales that are beautiful to visit as well - we would advise visiting the highest waterfall in England and Wales - stunning (about a 45 minute drive from the hotel into Wales). We spent a whole day in Shrewsbury including a 40 minute boat trip (recommended). Lots of historical interesting buildings to see. Also visited Ironbridge, Much Wenlock, Broseley, Bridgnorth (that has a cliff railway which only costs £1.20 return), Church Stretton, Ludlow (all worth visiting) Wrexham (don't bother), Chester (yes in Cheshire but well worth a visit). Gurantee you will not be bored staying in this area - very glad we had a 5 day stay to see as much as we did.
So: Do not be put off by the bad reviews on here. I am so glad that we came here. It was a very much needed break for us having not had any time away for well over a year. We totally relaxed and I know that this was because we were staying somewhere that was comfortable with excellent well trained staff who were all pleasantly friendly (not one of them ever walked past without saying hello), helpful and accomodating. Well done to them all. I hope that we will be able to visit again in the near future. So go on now you've read my review make your booking!

Room Tip: Go for the Privilege rooms and ask for room 14 in the main house if possible. Rooms 1-30 seem to be...

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the positive comments; The staff and I very much appreciate them.

I do agree that Shropshire is a wonderful county to explore along with our surrounding counties there is always plenty to discover!

I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in Shrewsbury again very soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent two days in hotel. Lovely rooms. Good breakfast. Great spa. Beautiful grounds. Did not have dinner in hotel but menu looked o k. Only glitch was at check in had to go back next day because key had not been done for two nights. A bit irritating.

Room Tip: 4poster in room 2. Quiet except for refuse collection Monday morning.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

The team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit to Shropshire.

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Albrighton
Prince Rupert Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!