Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$81
$79
Travelocity
York Hotel(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
$81
$58
$48
TripAdvisor
Holiday Inn Wolverhampton - Racecourse(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
$57
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Wolverhampton North Hotel(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
$79
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Haughton Hall(Shifnal)
Queen Victoria Hotel(Wolverhampton)
2,011 results
All reviewssteam roomleisure facilitieslovely groundsnew wingsmall lakeset menuevening mealmain buildinglovely hotelcoach partydrawing roomwowcher dealbar pricesrelaxing weekendbuffet stylerestaurant staffbar area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed one night and were impressed by the lovely grounds, but this first impression of the hotel was slightly spoilt by the loud music coming from a wedding reception. This could be heard clearly from our room, in the school master's building, but it did stop at about 10pm. If you are early to bed and a light sleeper, a wedding party may be an issue.
Check in was very quick and efficient and the staff were helpful and polite (although didn't offer assistance to help with bags). The room was large and exceptionally clean, as was the bathroom. It was well appointed, but was missing a fridge! The hotel as a whole seemed to be missing little touches that I would have expected for the price we paid; for instance, there was no bottle of water in the room that I've seen in other hotels of similar star rating.
The spa was very relaxing and thankfully not particularly busy when we visited in the middle of the day. Everything except the ice room was working. The pool and changing rooms seemed a little shabby around the edges though.
My main gripe with the hotel however, was the quality of food in the restaurant. We had booked a package which included 3 courses. The quantities were small and there was only one choice of vegetarian main, which consisted of some very odd flavours (hot gazpacho anyone?) and ravioli which tasted like it had come from the freezer. My husband's goats cheese roulade had lumps of ice in it!! Not quite defrosted I presume.... Feeling that these small courses wouldn't be very filling, I ordered bread - 3 small (but tasty) slices for £2!! It would have been nice to have it served to everyone for free - again it really felt like Mercure are cost cutting to the detriment of the customers. The wine was probably the best part of the meal, but was £26 and that was the cheapest bottle on the limited wine menu. This wouldn't feel as if it was so overpriced if the food was of a higher standard.
This is a shame, as this hotel has the potential to be excellent. Don't be so cheap Mercure! I would probably stay here again, but certainly wouldn't risk dinner here.

4  Thank cosmicgirl1978
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.

I was also sorry that the food served during your recent stay did not live up to your expectations, however; we appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously and we are looking into the matter.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed on a spa DB&B deal and were really impressed overall. I've been to a few over the past few years, but this hotel out did every one on service. The staff in every sector of the hotel were lovely, welcoming, polite and helpful. Spa was nice and clean, room large and well equipped. Breakfast was gorgeous with good range to choose from. Dinner was nice and appropriate for an inclusive set menu. Will visit again!!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to read that you and your friend enjoyed your recent stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa and made full use of our facilities.

I do hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the hotel this weekend with our two young children whilst visiting friends in the area, hotel was a bit noisy on the Friday night due to a wedding in the function room but as it was a weekend in August you wouldn't expect anything less. Family room was spacious and clean with plenty of room for an extra bed and a travel cot and the beds were also very comfy! Staff at the hotel seemed extra helpful and really seemed to go the extra mile. The lady running the restaurant even got a cushion to put behind my daughter so she was sitting comfortably in the high chair during a very nice breakfast. The main gold star has to go to 'Asif' on reception on Saturday night not only did he entertain us all before we went to bed but when my husband got up to work in the lounge at 5am on Sunday morning he made sure he had plenty of coffee to keep him awake! Very small complaint that the changing rooms were quite cold after we went swimming but would definitely return to stay at Albrighton Hall!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you, for taking the time to add your lovely feedback to Tripadvisor. The Staff and I very much appreciate this.

I will certainly forward your feedback to the staff, including "Atif" who served your husband through the night.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed for a Friday night as a gift from the in laws. Overall we had a lovely stay, the staff were friendly and attentive and the beds super comfortable. The only niggle was that there was a wedding on that day. There wasn't too mush hassle but I just wish we were told about the wedding prior to booking as we would have probably left it till another weekend. Would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pond - fabulous!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for adding your feedback to Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We came here at the beginning of the week with a coach party to visit the Iron Bridge Museums.

The last reviewer found a coach party of Senior Citizens checking into the hotel a bit strange, well firstly we are not Senior Citizens and even if we were they do let them out occasionally!.

Now I am a difficult lady to please but we were absolutely delighted with this hotel and we have stayed in a good few during our time.

The hotel is situated in it's own grounds with an ornamental carp pond outside the main door which we overlooked.

The room was beautiful if a little dated and included everything you needed and if there was something they had missed all you needed to do was ask.

The food was excellent although a little disappointing the the pate and all the sweets seemed to be "mass produced" rather than made on site.

Happily we are beer drinkers and, even with the hotel mark up, because beer is much more expensive here in Canterbury, the hotel price was about the same as at home. however the two ladies we sat with at dinner where charged nearly £7.00 for a glass of wine with their meal which is much too expensive.

Overall we were very pleased with the hotel and the staff who made us feel welcome, which has sometimes not been the case at other manor house hotels we have stayed in when on trips, maybe it was because the hotel is French and you always get better service in hotels abroad.

It was also nice to learn that the hotel group operates an exchange system for their junior staff so that French employees come to England for six months and vice versa.

I can certainly recommend a stay here

Room Tip: As for one at the front in the manor house overlooking the lake
1  Thank Jackie-Kevin

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the positive comments; I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in Shrewsbury again very soon.

Kind regards,