“The Ups and Downs of our stay.”

Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
Grantham, United Kingdom
“The Ups and Downs of our stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Initial entrance was excellent. However when shown the room in the School Masters Accommodation was most disappointing. Bed not made correctly, Mattress Lumpy, Thick Black Grime on window ledges in Bathroom. Called the Duty Manager who proceeded to show us 2 more rooms in same accommodation block. All not up to standard in our opinion because of cobwebs, black grime, etc. Eventually shown a room in the newer accommodation which was pleasant and acceptable.
Would suggest a 'Deep Steam Clean' of the School Masters Accommodation.
The breakfast on the first morning was packed with guests but only 3 staff were available for table clearance, thus our table was cleared before the end of our meal! We did speak to the duty manager who did give us his sincere apologies. Everything was perfect on the 2nd day of our stay.
The rest of the stay was very enjoyable.Your Spa facility was excellent with the staff being first class..

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed two nights at this wonderful hotel for my birthday last November 2012. It combines period environment with modern facilities. The service is excellent, the restaurant is 1st Class and the surrounding countryside is beautiful, yet only a few miles from the medieval town of Shrewsbury.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tilstock
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay to celebrate your special birthday , and I hope we can welcome you back to Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.
Tintern
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel from the 17th - 19th May 2013. The accommodation was excellent, clean, large standard room, well serviced, reasonably priced, lovely bathroom. The food was well above the norm, the surroundings lovely. But the icing on the cake was the attentive, cheerful and efficient service of the staff. There was a large wedding on the Saturday night, we were part of a jazz weekend experience but there were no delays and plenty of people on call. The service we received took the weekend from good to excellent. We will return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for adding your feedback to Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.
Harpenden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night on their spa package deal! If you want a fairly decent night with food this is good but to pay extra for the spa bit, forget it! I booked through a lovely chap on reception who persuaded me to up grade to a bigger room with dressing gown and slippers etc! Not bad I thought but the dressing gown was obviously for an anorexic super model with a size 0 body which I am not! However the staff were very helpful in finding another one but just too late to use it to go to the spa! We had booked in for a 30 min back, shoulder and neck massage! By the time we waited to be taken into the room 10 min of the appointment were gone, then we spent another 5 mins filling out forms and answering question! We only received a 20 min massage as she overran by 5 mins! Not acceptable!,,,, however the food was delicious for dinner and all staff were very helpful and attentive. Our room was huge but very bland colour scheme! The en suite was super. We were at the front of the hotel above a small function room! Not good. The people talked and talked and we couldn't sleep, we ended up stuffing tissue paper in our ears! I have however given it a fairly good review as I would return but won't pay for extras and definitely not for any treatments!

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points you raised personally, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel is a real gem and despite being situated only four miles from the picture postcard town of Shrewsbury, it is set in the green rolling countryside of Shropshire. When you enter the hotel grounds it seems that you leave all the hustle and bustle of everyday life at the gates and enter a world of quite, picturesque tranquillity.

The hotel is a mixture of modern and old façade which gives it a great deal of character. There are rooms available in the main building, a converted stable block, a converted schoolmaster’s house and the more modern part of the hotel. My wife and I have stayed at the hotel for a number of years and every room that we have occupied has been spacious, clean and well equipped. It is exactly what you would expect from a hotel of this marque and calibre. Whilst we have not dined at this hotel, I can attest to the almost sumptuous breakfast buffet served in the dark, oak panelled dining room. The food ranges from the simpler continental to a full traditional English breakfast. All the food is of excellent quality, locally sourced where possible and served at tables decked with gleaming white table-clothes.

However, my main recommendation for this hotel is the kindness and quiet efficiency of the staff. The unsung heroes of the hotel business, the housekeeping staff, appear to go about their job with a quiet invisibility, yet maintain a very high standard of cleanliness. Breakfast is served by staff that are very attentive, efficient and friendly with empty plates disappearing as if by magic. The first time that we stayed at the hotel my disabled wife and I were making our way to breakfast and her discomfort was seen by a member of the breakfast team. As a result we were invited to enter the dining room via an anti-room, thereby considerably shortening the distance that she had to walk. This caring attitude is widespread at the hotel does all the staff a great deal of credit. In addition, every contact that I have had with the staff at hotel reception has been very friendly and extremely efficient.

The hotel has a modern spa, swimming pool and gymnasium that suits the athletic, (and not so athletic, guests like my wife and me) who mainly use the pool as a method of relaxation. This is a lovely hotel and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anybody.

Dear Guest,
The team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit to Shropshire. We look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

The bathroom plug would not stay in hole so when you came back to have your bath yes you got it no water so thought ill have a shower and yet again did not work correctly water would not come out the shower i think due to a hair lock in pipe than it comes out very hot than makes a noise than nothing BUT on the whole a fantastic hotel great staff clean and the food was wow a good gym and pool oooh yes i had my shower at the baths lol and yes i would be going back again

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have just spend my 4th stay at the Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa. This time my husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and we booked the Presrige Four Poster bed bedroom to make our stay special. We booked a Half Board Package which included a three course dinner on the first night and breakfast the next day.
After breakfast we used the swimming pool, sauna and steam rooms which were all lovely.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough, everything was great from the room, the staff, the food and the total experience.
I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Choose the Prestige room as its the best, located on the top (2nd Floor) so very peaceful.