“The best hotel for groups in England”

Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
kent
“The best hotel for groups in England”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I took a group of 39 people to stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel and the service we received was second to none. All our rooms were large, modern and beautifully decorated and the rooms were allocated taking into account our different needs. Some were in the main hotel and some in the new annexe but all were delightful. The staff were so good, it was like being welcomed into a large family and nothing was too much trouble. Any minor problems were sorted straight away. Dinner and breakfast were delicious and service was done professionally but with a smile that lightened the atmosphere and made each meal a delight. I can't wait to go back sometime soon. Every person in our group had nothing but praise for the hotel and staff. Thank you Albrighton Hall, you were superb

Room Tip: The main hotel does not have a lift so if you can't do stairs ask for the new annexe. Brilliant...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you and your group enjoyed your stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've stayed here several times over the last couple of years. The first time was dreadful as I arrived late and exhausted with a migrane, and they were hosting a wedding fayre and the cars decided to blare music until 10. Still, you can be unlucky and I went again and had a lovely stay. The staff are very friendly and professional and while the menu is dull and never changes (with strange choices - who wants egg in a club sandwich?), the food is nice and the breakfasts very good. If you are lucky enough to be in a four-poster room, it's very private. If you're unlucky enough to be in a room on the long corridor overlooking the bins as I was on my last stay, it's noisy especially if some guests decide to spend the night partying and shouting in the corridor. That room was shabby too.The hotel didn't really seem bothered when I complained the next morning about the racket, so I doubt I'll stay again.

Room Tip: Four-poster room is great but small bed for a couple
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.

I would like to reassure you that we have staff on duty, which you can contact through out the night and they will deal with any disturbances in a professional manner.

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

An excellent hotel set in lovely grounds. Great location. Lovely friendly welcoming staff. Lovely character with a lot of charm. Excellent food with a varied menu.Very good leisure facilities. A great place to stay to explore Shrewsbury and the surrounding areas.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the positive comments; I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in Shrewsbury again very soon.
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Just retuned from two nights stay at this lovely hotel. We stayed in the new wing and the room was lovely, only slight gripe was the bathroom was odly laid out (hand towel far too close to toilet), toilet seat wouldnt stay up (much to my fiancés annoyance) and the shower would have benefited from some power. The staff were brilliant and friendly. I didn't use the spa but my fiancé commented that it was nice and relaxing. We were attending a wedding which was perfect, the food was delicious and we really enjoyed the day. We had a wander around the hotel and there were some lovely architecture.

We booked on an advance rate and felt we had a good deal however we didn't have breakfast as we thought £31 was a bit expensive for us but we would definitely return if we were in the area again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you, for your constructive feedback. I have noted your comments regarding the bathroom issues, and would like to reassure you that they will be addressed.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in the very near future.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Please note that this review is purely about the spa and its facilities. I cannot comment on the hotel rooms.

I booked a spa day for myself and a friend to have a day of relaxing. I booked through a third party website and the offer included access to the facilities between 10-5, a treatment and afternoon tea. The third party website advised pre-booking the treatments to ensure you weren’t left disappointed on the day so that’s what I did however I found the man I spoke to quite dismissive on the phone.

First impressions of the hotel are fantastic. The building is beautiful with acres of garden. We arrived around 1030 and were shown into a room where we could get some complimentary tea or coffee while the receptionist was seeing to someone else. The carpets and wallpaper did look a little tired and could probably have done with some sprucing up however as it is the entrance for the gym/spa it probably gets a lot of use. We were shown the ladies changing rooms, handed locker keys and the key code for the door and told that on the other side of the changing rooms were the pool and sauna/steam room facilities.

The pool area was okay, it’s quite a small pool but as we visited on a Sunday it was very quiet. We didn’t go in the pool but we did jump in the Jacuzzi which was very small, room for 2-3 people max. There also seemed to be a lot of chlorine but that might be me being oversensitive.

We both had a back, neck and shoulder massage which was very enjoyable. We had booked afternoon tea for 2pm and when we were ready we were taken down into the drawing room. There were 3-4 sandwiches to choose from, cakes, scones with clotted cream and jam and obviously tea or coffee. When the food first came out it didn’t look like there was going to be enough for the two of us but actually it was perfectly sized. We asked for another pot of tea and this was bought out to the table without a fuss. Once we had finished we decided to go back into the pool area to use the sauna. I ventured into the ice room briefly and as you can imagine it was very cold!

We both had an enjoyable day at Albrighton Hall and indeed my friend has returned for another spa day since ours. If a good deal was advertised again I wouldn’t hesitate to book it based on my experience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LouJones23
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for adding your lovely comments regarding your spa day. The team very much appreciate this. I do hope that we can welcome you back in the spa and maybe the hotel in the very near future.
stratford-upon-avon
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I have just spent three nights at this lovely hotel and found it a wonderful experience. The staff were first class and the food superb. Jane who was on reception when we arrived was so kind and made sure all our requirements and needs were met. Hope we weren't to demanding. We didn't get chance to use the spa facilities but I bet they were great, hopefully next time. The drawing room is a lovely place to sit and relax and play cards. Nothing seemed to be to much trouble and we enjoyed chatting with Tim who again was very helpful in telling us where to go in Shrewsbury. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to family and friends as Shrewsbury is lovely. My only little gripe (or rather my husbands) is that WiFi should be free in all hotels.

Room Tip: Pay the extra £20 for the upgrade we didnt and no space when we got there to do this.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loubie28
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked this hotel to spend a few days doing touristy things around Shrewsbury. We picked the Albrighton Hall specifically because it offered Spa facilities, to have somewhere relaxing and luxurious to enjoy together in the evening.
The hotel itself was spectacular. The gardens were beautiful, the staff were wonderfully helpful and the room was fantastic. Although we booked a 'basic' room, when we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a 'privilege' room (with a four-poster bed!). Although it cost a little bit more, it was well worth it!

However, if like us, you were to book to stay at this hotel because of its Spa, you will be sadly disappointed. The pool was freezing and the Jacuzzi bath had bubble scum on top of the water. This was probably due to the fact it was the only hot facility in the Spa and everybody used it to keep warm! There were 2 saunas and 2 steam rooms. On the 1st day only 1 sauna was working. On the 2nd day only 1 steam room was working.....well, it was warm with no steam! None of the other steam/sauna rooms were working. The staff told us that it was a temporary issue that was being attended to at the time. However, we chatted with a couple of regular members to the Spa and Gym and they both separately told us that this 'temporary issue' had been going on for quite some time (1 mentioned that it had been going on for over a year!) They were under the impression that the issue was with the boilers and owners were reluctant to pay for new one's. If this is the case, it is deplorable.
It was a real shame that the Spa facilities so let this hotel down as everything else was lovely.
When I had cause to mention this issue at the time of checking out, I suggested that the cost of our room upgrade for the 2 days be taken off our bill (£40 in total). The receptionist spoke to her manager and this was agreed.
To those looking to book this hotel, it is great for a romantic and comfortable stay and only about 2 miles from the historic market town of Shrewsbury. Don't book it for it's Spa facilities, you'll be sorely disappointed.
To the hotel management, you are selling your hotel under false pretenses. I'm sure that a 'phone call to those that have booked a stay with you in the near future to tell them of your issues would be useful. Your customers would then have the choice of whether to stay with you or stay with a rival that doesn't offer faulty facilities. If they stayed with you, having been furnished with this information, you wouldn't be confronted with people asking/demanding recompense! Either this or get your Spa up to scratch!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil H
Dear Guest,
We at the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very much appreciate all your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and having noted all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albrighton
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#10 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!