“Could have been better...”

Anika Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Manila
“Could have been better...”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We pass through several resorts in Bantayan and I can say that Anika, if not the best is the favorite destination of local & non-local guests. What sets them apart from neighboring lodge is the architectural design of this resort. The rooms are contemporary and laidback though a bit small. For P1,750/ night, this is a steal for such a lovely place. Bantayan beach is like an old Boracay, unexplored & non commercialized hence, this is not a place for party people. The resort has no amenities except for the restaurant wherein the menu is change every week. They have limited choices but you can ask them to cook something that's off the menu, you just need to request in advance.

Three stars instead of 5 because of one reason, the resort's crew. Unfortunately, my partner had a sudden allergy after having our supper, his eyes were turning red and his face swollen. I can let pass the fact that they don't have a first-aid medicine at the resort & I appreciate that they made their way to town at 10:00 pm just to get us one. While waiting for the meds, we opt to do cold compress and to my surprise, after being informed that it was an emergency, who in the right state of mind would ask you to pay first that P15 bucket of ice before they'll give you one? Read on. After 40 minutes, a woman knocked to hand me the medicines (thank God it was a mild allergy, if its a serious one, you'll get killed in this place), she didn't even bother to bring a glass of water, I'm lucky to always have a bottle in my bag. Ridiculous! And to aggravate things, when I'm about to close the door, she was asking for payment when they can just charged it to your room.

They obviously don't belong in this kind of business, too bad for the resort as it seem to have a high potential. And one last thing, this is not a wet market, restau staff should be attending to their guest's needs instead of exchanging gossip over the counter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ManilaBeachBum
AnikaIslandResort, General Manager at Anika Island Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Greetings from the management team. First, we'd like to apologize for our crew's behavior and lack of consideration for your situation. We understand your grievances and rest assured we take these matters to heart. We have imposed sanctions and disciplinary actions on our staff in light of this incident and it will not happen again. In fact, this situation has taught us to be more aware of our guests' safety and we have decided to keep allergy medication in store and other emergency supplies. We are grateful you have chosen to stay with us and we take all these reviews seriously and constructively to better improve our quality of service. Thank you and we hope this will not deter another visit from you in the future. - Anika Island Resort Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I guess I said it all in the review title. When we first arrive at the resort, we were greeted by a clean and well maintained facade. The resort staff are very friendly. You can tell that the place is well maintained.

The room itself was ingenious, it was made from used container van. The room itself is clean and beautiful, we booked garden view room. Although its not spacious and just enough for all the things you need to have a relaxing sleep (we didnt spend too much time anyway since we are out at the beach).

The beach is of pure white sand, although there were seaweeds on the shoreline (locals advised that during the said month that the seaweeds appear), they take time to sweep the shore and remove the seaweeds (shows dedication to cleanliness).

The food I would say is really good, Its not cheap but not to expensive either. The good thing though is that they have big servings. I tasted their Sinuglaw (Mixed grilled pork and fish ceviche), Spicy spareribs, Tinolang isda (fish stew using the fresh catch of the day) and sweet and sour pork. All of them taste good but I recommend trying sinuglaw and Tinolang isda as they use the freshest fish and it really taste good.

Overall I would say that our stay was worth while and we wished to have got more time to spend. Hopefully we can come back and stay again in Anika.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eugene101
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at Anika for 2 nights and overall we enjoyed it. A few tips:

- There are no amenities so rent a bike to explore the island. If you're going for island hopping I suggest you hold off renting any bikes or motorbikes until you get back.
- Food in their restaurant is so and so. Some are good, some are not worth the price. Explore the town around for more restos. Just ask the padyak drivers or some locals. Beach Placid beside it has a mini bar and they have a live band playing every Saturday night.
- Be prepared to be swarmed by flies on their restaurant. For us it breaks the experience.
- Virgin Island is not really worth it if you're a couple. Bring some friends or hitch in with other tourists to enjoy. (Cash only)
- Wake up around 6am and enjoy the sunrise and the sea.
- Bring a camera with a good tripod. If you have a wireless remote control much better.
- Ask the staff to bill you on check out. It's more convenient specially if you're low on cash. They do accept credit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xoids
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Me and my hubby booked for 2 nights at Anika last April and we didn't regret that we chose Anika. The beach front was clean and the rooms as well were simple yet neat. I would love it more, though if the walls in the rooms were decorated with wall frames just to add a little life to the rooms -- it's just a suggestion, though :)

The customer service was good. Transportation to and from the resort was free and did arrive at the port way ahead of us. The restaurant served very good food at reasonable prices (with the exception of the crab, as we were served with crabs that were very no longer juicy and dry), although we didn't know how to contact the restaurant people if we'd like to have our food delivered directly to our room. It would be good if they have informed us right at the reception when we arrived so we won't have to go to the restaurant to inform them that we want our food delivered to our room. Their restaurant is not 24 hours open, I think they'll close at around 8 or 9PM, so don't expect any midnight snacks served.

All in all, it was a weekend of good food, relaxation, and a nice swim. I would definitely recommend Anika. So far, it's one of if not the best resort hotel in Bantayan that I've been to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cha_Loves_to_Travel
Manila
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We booked there last minute before our flight in June 12. I love how the villa and units are laid out amd built from cargo containers. You can see the port and ferries from the beach front as it's just 10min away.
The beach front is wide and a few meters from the villa. Not much seaweeds and grass as this is the calmer side of the sea and most the time it's low tide. The sand is fine and the water is clean (not as clear as alona's of bohol). There's no snorkeling area, go to Virgin isl for a day trip, but book elsewhere, it's cheaper (arrange a trip with a bankero or a local and theu can even take you to paradise isl if preferred). There's no activity here hence the presence of tvs in rooms, so better bring a bottle of whiskey and a buddy to spend the afternoon til midnight.
Well maintained beach front, rooms (you can request for change of sheets daily).
The restaurant menu is not commendable, less optons, taste not worth the price. No bar, drinks are limited. So opt to dine at Sante Fe proper for better choices (sutukil,the blue ice cafe, italian resto bar across, hr resto, etc).
I just wish the resort is close to bantayan proper where i can buy local stuff -- dried sea catch
and carcar chicharon, but it's not. Have to pay 50php each trip per pax for a pedicab ride.
I'll be back if I landed on this island again. I'd say that it's a better resort compared to others I myself checked out (beach placid,yoonek,kota,ogtong,cottages @sugarbeach).

• Stayed June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This maybe the best resort in Bantayan (I can't confirm since I have not been to the other resorts) but they could do better.. For example, we reached at 6.30pm after a 3 hour car ride followed by an our boat ride (it was already dark) and found that they had forgotten to add the extra bed we had requested and paid for. Also, the lady at the reception counter seemed to be more interested in looking at her computer screen than attending to guests' enquiries. We stayed there three nights but they never came in to clean our rooms, change towels or replenish supplies although they knew we were out visiting a nearby island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SGBudgetTraveller
Sydney
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a gem of a place and I have stayed there twice. The beach, the staff, the accomadation is great. However, what is really special is the food. The seafood in particular is fresh and cooked expertly. In this regard, the manager told me that they had sourced a top class chef - this is to be believed. Best food I had in my travels thoughout Philippines and that includes at the best hotels. The only draw back is that the place, like many places, does get a bit boring after five days so best keep trip to about three to four nights. Also, the hotel needs a pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe Beach Club
Santa Fe Beach Club
#2 of 2 in Santa Fe
Beach Placid Resort, Restaurant and Bar
Beach Placid Resort, Restaurant ...
#3 of 17 in Bantayan Island

Been to Anika Island Resort? Share your experiences!