“Sunday lunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Hull
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a couple of hours to kill and really enjoyed our visit to the Wolds village, we had a two course lunch for £16.95 and it was good value. For starters we chose mushroom pancake and the Chicken liver and mushroom pate... have to say the pate was one of the best I've tasted, came with thick cut toast and a salad garnish. Roast rib of beef followed, delicious! with a giant homemade Yorkshire pudding, roast & new potatoes, peas, parsnips, carrots and cauliflower, my partner had the steak pie. We had no room for dessert though the pavlova looked tempting.

Overall we enjoyed the food and the gallery, the woodland walk was a bit disappointing but we would happily return when we're next in the area.

• Visited July 2014

East Yorkshire
“Soggy Sad Sunday”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I recently had Sunday lunch with my husband at this restaurant unfortunately it is not an experience that I will be repeating.. The meat was bland and the vegetables were over cooked and tasteless. The place was really busy and I got the impression that any negative comments would have fell on stoney ground. The whole place has the feel of a fast food restaurant where they rush em in and rush em out to maximise takings. Maybe I have high expectations , if you do, I wouldn't bother eating here.

• Visited June 2014
SnowWhitesCat, Owner at Wolds Village Restaurant & Tearoom, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We are extremely disappointed to read your review. You state that your food was tasteless & over cooked, yet you didn't tell us at the time, or give us the opportunity to do something about your complaint. You assume that we would ignore any complaint which is very unfair & unjustified. All complaints are acted on immediately & recorded in a diary. We refute your statement that we are like a fast food restaurant, we cook almost 100% of our food from scratch & do not used processed foods. We purchase all our stock locally & are proud of our high customer service. Guests can stay as long as they wish. I would urge readers to look at our other reviews, I know for a fact that these others also have high expectations. A little advise for the future, if you are unhappy with a meal in a restaurant, please, please give them a chance to put it right before you assume that they wont!
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Had a lovely time”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I've been twice recently, with a friend and later as part of a large group on an outing.
The staff are very attentive and had no problem plating up a portion of scampy to take home for a friend who unfortunatly couldn't join our group.
The food is beautifully cooked, the puds are amazing, I recommend the mud pie with cream!
The shop has some nice gifts although it can be a little overpriced.
The gallery is definitely worth a look and has some really nice paintings and prints for sale.
Enjoyable and recommended.

York, United Kingdom
“The Wold Village - a great experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been to the Wolds Village many times over the last 15 years and have never had grounds to raise any complaint. The food is always good, plenty of it and served quickly without being rushed. An excellent experience.
The staff are always polite and attentive and willing to help when requests are raised. One for those special occasions for sure.
Booking is recommended to ensure you can get a seat and in good weather they have the outside courtyard in use as well. It can be a bit of a suntrap and is sheltered from the wind on all sides. Entry is via an old Dove Cote
They have branched into accommodation but I haven't tried it myself yet.

• Visited May 2014
Sheffield
“A curious place to stop off”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stopped off for lunch on our way elsewhere and what a curious place. The menu was a bit confusing but we ordered jacket spuds and a baguette but then saw that others were eating home cooked meals that looked good but because of the confusion with the menus. we had not thought to order. ( the menu gave the impression that the home cooked food was just for Sunday lunch and as it was not Sunday....) The food arrived and mine was lathered in mayo. It was a chicken, bacon mayo type mix. I scraped lots of mayo off and pushed it to one side and this "wastage was a good heaped tablespoon. My eating companion had a similar story with his baguette. Sad really, as the other food looked lovely and the actual location is quaint and otherwise a nice place to stop off.