“food fit for people with no taste buds”

Globales Costa Tropical
london
“food fit for people with no taste buds”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

weT have just returned from this place and god am i pleased to be home. Where shall i start, on arrival we were told that our room had no water so we were moved to another hotel 2 mins from the costa la hell hole and when we we returned the next day the room was still not ready, in my opinon they had over booked and were not ready for us, not a good start! we were in one of the rooms that has not been updated and the bath leaked all on to our shoes and when we opened the kitchen drawer it fell off.The food is very basic and quite frankly disgusting, i had read the reviews before we went and i thought people were just being fussy having been all inclusive before but they were right, the breakfast was the same every day and if you dont mind raw or cold food then this is the place 4 you.the lunch and evening meals are mmmmmmmmmmm horrid and if you like creme soup??? and paste something or other and veal (i dont think so) in general its very very poor.my 5 year old nearly starved to death and ended up eating chips every day about 3 that is cos by day 5 he was sick off them.listen i good go on and on just theres too many negatives, no hang on just a couple more things the pool looks lovely but there is soooo much nasty stuff in it my daughters hair was minging.the beach really is far away,ok if you want to pay out 4 taxis or you can get the free bus,the only nice thing is the staff work hard, poor things.if you looking to go here think again, if you do go then you have been warned and good luck!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2010

What a great place, great amosphere and child friendly (took my 4yr & 1yr old boys). The staff work very hard and are always polite. The hotel is kept very clean and the pool areas well looked after. The rooms were good and food was ok (chips with everything). Great to have a supermarket on site and the only negative is the beach is a 15 min bus ride but it was free.
Will definately go back.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2010

What is wrong with you people.. you get what you pay for did you expect the ritz? holiday fine, staff polite and friendly and rooms suitable standard.All inclusive good plenty of choices for all. Pool relaxing the childrens entertainer Bruno very friendly and provided plenty of activities. The next town was only 3 euros in taxi and there was plenty to do ...holiday excellent value for money and would return in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2010

After ten days at Costa Tropical it is safe to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Prior to my arrival at the hotel I decided to consult tripadvisor as most people do. On reading one or two negative reviews (such as the previous review) I was concerned that i was off to Beirut or somewhere similar. However on my return I can contradict that nonsense with my own experience. I have worked in hotel management for my entrie working career and although I don't believe that I am therefore the all knowing oracle, I do believe that I have the ability to decipher the difference between good and poor service. The staff from my opinion were incredibly hard working from the tiny man who ran the kids club, the reception team, the bar staff, the housekeeping team and the lady with the reddest cheeks ever in the snack bar. All were incredibly friendly and would all go out of their way to please. To be fair, if you had some plank talking to you as if you were from Mars in an incredibly slow patronising tone, would you smile???

The hotel itself had plenty to keep you entertained: regularly organised activities including football, water polo, table tennis tournaments. Other avtivities were tennis and American pool. During the evening there was an organised itinerary which included one show each night. I didn't hang around much for the entertainment though as we headed out for a more lively night in caleta. However what I did see was perfect mainly for children.

Now to the food; we were all inclusive temporarily and enjoyed the experience. I wasn't expecting the Michelin star standard food which my hotel produces, however after reading previous reports I was anticipating stuffed rat, followed by chefs vomit trifle. However what we actually found was a choice of three or four different meats, cooked in different ways. Some days there were more locally renowned dishes such as paella as well as traditional English cuisine. Breakfasts involved an adequate selection of hot and cold foods. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the snack bar was tremendous. It included standard typical English junk such as burgers and hot dogs. But also included pizzas, salads and baguettes.

Finally the location. My only gripe was that Costa Antigua was sparsely populated as it only contained two shops and four restaurants. The hotel had this covered however, by supplying regular free buses to the more lively caleta de fuste which was 2 miles kilometres away. The alternative to the bus was a walk across terrain that can only be described as the moon, which takes you straight in to Caleta.

Anyway I feel like I have rambled on for long enough. My stay was incredibly enjoyable and I would reiterate that if you are planning on a stay at the Costa Tropical, I would advise taking the previous reply with a pinch of salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank JoeCobb1983
harwich, essex
Reviewed August 10, 2010

STAFF
very rude, for some reason they expect u 2 clean up after yourself at meal times! if u dont u get dirty looks from them! we counted 10 staff over the whole week!!! the lady in the pizzaria is very strange and quite scary! she would leave every1 waitin in a queue for ages while she slowly flip 20 burgers!!!! and she is def not a people person!!
FOOD
if u love fish then this is the perfect place 4 u! there was some seriously ify dishes like bird soup? chicken soup with fat paste! and many more. sorry 2 say it was horrible, ecspecially if u have kids cause they really dont cater 4 them. my son lived on bread rolls, chips an ice cream!
POOL
the pool was lovely, the 1 thing that made our holiday. my son is 6 an he spent the whole holiday playin wiv other kids in the pool. there was water polo everyday which was a big hit.
ENTERTAINMENT
there is 1 woman an 1 man for the entertainment an they do an excellent job all day an in the evening wiv a mini disco an bingo. there was also a parrot show an quizzes.
LOCATION
this was a big let down as there is nothin around u appart from half finished biuldings. the town is about 30 mins walk away or 5 mins in a taxi which is nice for a couple of days.

Travelers are raving about these Costa de Antigua hotels

Boston Lincs
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Above says it all, if you live on a crowded council estate then this is the place for you.....full of england shorts and screaming kids. The hotel is shabby and obviously quite old, staff try hard to keep it clean, but not enough staff !!! We were there 7 days and the cleaners only turned up 3 times.Swimming pool water looked decidly murky and I waasnt brave enough to venture in !!! Food was variable, breakfast okay if you got there when it was warm and the tablecloths clean, forget it after that. Lunch was passable but a very strange woman serving made you quake in your boots if you asked for a drink as well, many of the staff (not all) were bordering on unpleasant and made you feel very uncomfortable !!!. forget the evening meal, was disgusting. Their idea of fixing a leak in our room was to put a bucket on the table and when we told them the lock on the door was not working charged us £25 for a safe.
Drinks were 'all inclusive', and we were made to queue for drinks and the queue often went out of the bar onto the terrace. On the last night when they changed it to one drink per person (imagine a family with 4 kids.....) thank god we were going home. We did spend most of our time at resort a 2 mile walk away, but that was through an area that looked like the gaza strip, full of empty or half finished properties, would not have gone there at night. After a very dissappointing holiday intend to follow it up with a complaint, they certainly are on a slippery slope and not banking on recommendations and repeat visits.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I travelled with my 17yr old son & 3 of his friends. We had a fantastic holiday considering how much we paid (£350 per head a week all Inc). The rooms were reasonable. There was improvements and updating happening in other apartments too that were looking great. My only moan was the sofa bed was uncomfortable but i was given an extra mattresss asap. Views were lovely. Entertainment was fun and different every night. Staff were fantastic and helpful (esp Samuel who worked like a trojan, Bruno whom kids adored & Sebastion in the bar perminantly smiling. There was a new manager who was very helpful & friendly too. Food was nice if your willing to try new things, Hit & miss with the kids though. Pool bar made up for fussy appetites. Not alot to do outside hotel but free bus availiable daily to Caleta de Fuste (10/15 mins). Nice Irish bar round corner though :). I would definately go back to this hotel & most of the new friends i met felt the same. Great value for money if your on a budget.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in El Cotillo
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort
#6 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Globales Costa Tropical? Share your experiences!