“Good Budget Hotel”

Globales Costa Tropical
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Got back from a lovely holiday last week, we knew we weren't going to get luxury as it was so cheap. The rooms are a little jaded and definitely need work doing on them but they are okay and we were comfy, after all we were on holiday so didn't expect to stay all week in the apartment. The food was good I thought, my partner is vegetarian so lived on egg salad for the week, but lack of veggie choices is a common problem wherever you go. Salads were ace, and so was the paella, we never went hungry and I never had a meal which I didn't like. The area is a bit bleak but there is a lovely walk to the next resort if you want something busier. Two good Karaoke bars nearby and basic entertainment in the hotel. I would recommend this as a good budget hotel and would happily go back again.

5 Thank Kaydee1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Hotel problems

Rust on hindges of cupboard doors
Worktop was dirty
Cupboards are all fitted terribly
Fridge stunk
Police were called to room opposite ours at 2-3 in the morning
Didnt get any sleep first night due to violence in the room next door
Doors slamming continuously let reception know our problems , we got in return a shrugged shoulders
Plastic table and chairs out side on balcony were broken
Pool was incredibly cold
Food was terrible I'm not even sure the UK dog food testing authorities would pass that for animal consumption , bad variety, bland
Bathroom had concrete showing through on the door jams
No air con
Poolside bar don't sell alcohol  which was included in all inclusive so we had to wait till main bar opened at 3:30
Towels in the room were very rarely changed
Nothing to do around the area of the hotel just derelict building sites
Lights were hanging out of the celing
Television was supplied with no remote it cost €20
Bathroom stunk of stale sewage water every day
No furniture matched in the room
We had items stolen from our room even though we rented a safe for €35
Even door handles were dirty
Bathroom had no lock

After we complained so much that we were moved rooms..
Room 2
Bed side light doesn't work
Rust on the bathroom water boiler
Dreadful wind noise through the night in the bathroom
Odd furniture
Room generally dirty around cupboards and bathroom bidet  has rust / dirt in it
Ants on balcony outside
Bathroom door didn't shut correctly . Had a tendency to jam / lock you in the bathroom
No lock on bathroom door

Hotel
generally grubby throughout
Paint peeling off every where all over hotel
75% of staff were not prepaired to help or glad to help
no activities in the night
The night club that we was told to be part of the hotel wasnt open.
No activities in the day
Pool had bare fibreglass showing at pool side . My girlfriend had fibreglass itch all of the 2nd night
Barman never behind the bar

I don't ever review hotels as I'm
Not that kind of sad person to put a downer on someone's holiday but I can assure you iv stayed in some terrible hotels in Ibiza , I'm 22 and I don't expect 5* treatment but I'm now laying by this pool watching the clock tick waiting for my flight to get closer so I can leave .

Don't book a hotel here . On the beach.com will be recieving a email from me when I'm home

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Chrismx72

Travelers are raving about these Costa de Antigua hotels

Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

just returned from a week at costa tropical, To be honest after reading reviews i was a little unsure what to expect,but glad we booked it , its a lovely place the staff and fellow guests were really friendly,food was delicious for me really enjoyed it,not for my husband tho but hes a fussy eater anyways but there was always something for him to eat,rooms fresh and spotlessly clean,clean towels and sheets every other day,sebastian the bar man was extremely friendly and cheerfull ,wot a lovely guy he is,overall we thouroughly enjoyed our week stay and booking to go back in september, budget holiday , budget price but very well worth it !!!!!

6 Thank Robnjools D
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have just returned from a ten day holiday at this resort. Yes, some of the reviews were a little offputting, however I thought I'd give it a go. I am pleased I did. The rooms are a little tired looking and could do with updating, not the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, but very clean and everything worked, shower a little hit and miss, but it got there and there were plugs in the wash basin, the bath and in the kitchen sink, unlike a previous reviewer found. The hotel and outside areas are spotless, the pool, although very cold at times, again is spotless. The food was absolutely fine, of course there were things on the menu I wasn't keen on (vegetarian lasagne being one) but plenty of choice at each sitting, the meat dishes I tried were tender and tasty. Staff are just lovely and couldn't do enough. Special mention has to go to Sebastian, the barman - he's a human dynamo, always smiling, always polite and extremely good at his job - keep hold of him Hotel Tropical!
I had a really nice holiday, surroundings outside the hotel are a bit of a mess with building work which seems to have stopped in its tracks, however, walk past that, take the coast road and you're in for a treat, it's a lovely walk and take some fruit pieces to feed to the chipmunks, yes they are probably vermin to the locals, but so cute to have them gently take the fruit from your hands.
Heard some complaints from other guests, but really, there are 5 star hotels further up the coast, I would suggest if you want 5 star facilities, pay 5 star prices!
To finish, I would say if you want a smallish, friendly resort where the food is perfectly acceptable and the staff do their utmost to make you feel welcome then try it, you might like it!
One more thing for those who feel the entertainment wasn't really up to standard (it really wasn't to be honest), the animation guy has gone to Majorca so here's hoping for better luck with that next time - and I will be going again!

Room Tip: Views are better from 2nd floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank 869HMR
Devon
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We have just returned from a week at resort: Having read all the reviews i was a little unsure on if we had done the right thing in booking it, however we were pleasentky surprised - yes its a little dated but spotlessly clean - the rooms are typical spanish teak furnishings - but quite comfy. The beds however are not they are steel frame and sqweek at every turn. Unfortunately the location of this hotel means you either have a 40minute walk to a town or 5euro taxi ride there is nothing in the locality except a couple of bars all which are very good
The Pool fantastic and sun loungers need attention but we were never without one. The Animation team worked hard to keep thing moving .
The Food - not a day went by without us finding something to eat - yes I'm sure we have eaten better but this was a budget week and you get what you pay for - infact this was better than the food eaten in a 5* resort in tunisia last year!!
The staff ever helpful and always with a smile
Roundup
A Budget hotel - that is trying to move up to a better one - If you pay £200 dont expect £1000 coverings

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor with balcony overlooking the pool - the sun shone on the balcony...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank DevonSueC
Blackpool
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We are just back from our 4th visit to this hotel, the last time being in January, and I can honestly say that I have noticed quite a few subtle changes for the better since then. Little things like the hotel having a bit of a makeover, hairdryers in the bathroom, the outside is being painted, our room also had been redecorated, the layout of the food in the restuarant, more choices for salad and dressings. I have been told that the menus will be changing in the near future. Little tables are now being proved around the pool area for your drinks etc, also a few days before we left there was a bit of maintenance being done which looks like they were getting ready for new added extra sun shades/umbrellas, they need them as it was late 30's/40's when I was there hot, hot, hot, not that Im complaining lol, I didnt have shade by the pool but it wasnt a hassle to be sensible and go and sit in the shade during the day.
The staff as ever were fantastic, special mention to Nadya, Corinna, Claudio on reception, Sebastian my friend and probably the best barman in the world, Also Cristopher, Daniel and Noelia who worked the pool bar which opened during our week there.
The entertainment is a bit lacking especially in the evening but Moses makes an effort with daytime activities, shame some of people on holiday didnt make the same effort. In the evenings the entertainment may come in the form of a parrot show, snake show etc and a bit of music. There is a nightclub underneath the tennis courts which opens on a Thurs, Fri and Saturday night but as it was fairly quiet during our stay we needed 20+ people for it to open.
If you want a cheap getaway where you can just laze about all day this is the place, yes a bit isolated but town just a taxi ride away for some livier nite life, or Stoners bar just around the corner from the hotel is good for the craic and great food.
To the new Director of this hotel, congratulations on what has been done so far and keep up the good work, no longer a 2 key hotel but a 3 star.. We look forward to seeing everyone again soon. Haste Pronto

Room Tip: Lovely views of the sea, coastline and town of Caletta De Fuste from the top floor of main hotel blo...
16 Thank aepritchard61
Winchester Hampshire
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We have just returned from a week at Costa Tropical, we had booked this as a cheap break and consequently were not expecting the Ritz. However we did expect a little more than what we got. With tempartures rising to 43 degrees some days we feel that it was criminal not to have umbrellas round the pool area as there was very little shade elsewhere. The food was extremely basic, the soup was packet soup mix, powdered mash, tinned fruit, jelly and where on earth did the concept that English people like chips for breakfast come from !!!! therefore after a couple of days we resorted to eating out most evenings as there is only so much salad that one can endure.
The reception staff were extremely helpfull especially Nadia however the staff in the restuarant gave us the feeling that they would have rather have been working anywhere but there. They left tables uncleared for long periods and did not seem to be on the ball in replenshing food especially at breakfast time. PLASTIC GLASSES, this is the first establishent in the world that I have been to that has use plastic glasses all the time, my tip to the Globales group would be to provide the Tropical with plenty of Sun shades for round the pool and proper glasses for adults in the bar. Evening entertainment !!!!! be prepared to make your own.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
#10 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Hotel Cotillo Beach
Hotel Cotillo Beach
#1 of 2 in El Cotillo

Been to Globales Costa Tropical? Share your experiences!