El Rancho
El Capricho(Villanueva del Trabuco)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot tubshort drivefirst classfabulous holidaysuperb hostsunique opportunitycan't wait to go backlittle gemother guestsplaces to visitlook forwardstunning viewsmalcolmpoolsgarretrondaparents
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I have visited El Rancho on a number of occasions, our first visit was for my 50th birthday so that I could hit the cultural trail. El Rancho is perfectly located to visit Granada, Cordoba, Ronda, and many other fascinating locations. The only problem is we now cannot stop going back, Jacuie and Garrett are fantastic hosts and the location is idyllic and tranquil. My wife even got me back into riding after a 25 year break the horses are superb, well schooled and trecking in the campo is outstanding. What really strikes you is how clean and well maintained the accomodation and facilites are, a perfet retreaat in a great location. I cant wait for my next visit!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sdaughters
Reviewed July 13, 2012

At my partners' parents suggestion we (my partner, two friends and I) booked to stay at El Rancho for our skiing trip in February. We stayed in the apartment, which was perfect and immaculate. Our hosts were friendly, welcoming and held a wealth of local knowledge.

El Rancho offers the perfect location for both slopes and sand. We skied at the beginning of the week and were able to be geared up and at the top of the mountain within an hour and a half of leaving El Rancho. The latter end of the week we headed to the beach at Nerja and enjoyed the local pleasantries (Ayo’s for paella, then into town for a look around and a couple of bars).

Overall our trip was wonderful and we intend to visit El Rancho again in September for an opportunity to enjoy the local fiesta and a spot of horse riding.

Thanks again to Garret & Jacqui, we’ll certainly see you soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luke M
Reviewed May 27, 2012

There's a point in holidaying where I decide I've had enough of the 'packaged comforts' found in chain hotels. This was the case with my recent vacation in Andalusia. Taking a break from my work in Afghanistan I was still in need of some peaceful R&R, but needed something more stimulating after a week of hanging out on Marbella's beach strip.

Coming from the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, Australia and being a private pilot I contacted Jesus Perez of www.malagavuela.com, a ULM flying school based near Villanueva del Trabucco. Jesus is a local, however trained as a commercial pilot in the US. He is a great ambassador for the area and a skilled instructor with a genuine passion for aviation. After a spectacular morning of flying in the surrounding mountains familiarising me with his sporty X-Air, he put me in touch with Garret and Jacque. I couldn't have asked for a more welcoming answer to my call. Being from Australia where we drive upside down, Jacque generously offered to pick me up from the airfield for the short drive through Villanueva del Trabucco to El Rancho.

I could describe at some length every aspect of what made El Rancho such a perfect place for me to spend 4 nights. But, put quite simply its best quality is that it is Garret and Jacque's family home that they have worked hard to make into an idyllic, welcoming retreat. In every sense they are the perfect hosts, extending five star hospitality, yet at the same time being wonderfully relaxed and down to earth. When you combine this with the picture post card location, riding their beautifully educated horses, and convivial outdoor dining, in my opinion there is little left to describe El Rancho as anything less than being at the top of its class.

For any traveller, I believe you would search far to find a more attractive holiday destination. However, for someone seeking an option close to the beaches and golf courses of Costa de Sol, the mountains of the Sierra Nevada, and packed with adventure tourism, El Rancho presents a unique opportunity to experience the real Andalusia with a sense of being a welcome guest rather than a client in a high rise chain hotel.

To Garret, Jacque and family, my sincerest thanks and appreciation for making my holiday in Spain more enjoyable than I could have hoped for. Without a doubt I'll be back to enjoy El Rancho and perhaps another bottle of the local wine eh Garret!

Pat Ryan

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank PatrickR595
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Finally got around to writing a review - apologies to Garret and Jacqui for the delay. I have stayed here several times over the years and will keep on coming back. El Rancho is perfectly placed in the Mountains, a short blast on the motorway, inland from Malaga. Here you will find an idyllic place to unwind, with excellent facilities, laze in the pool and gaze at the olive groves that surround. Or fire up a bbq on your private terrace, or enjoy some of the fantastic cooking provided by Jacqui. The great advantage of staying here is that you are away from the hustle and bustle of the coast, and the fights for sun loungers etc.. etc.. the pace of life is more relaxed and Villanueva Del Trabuco is a lovely whitewashed Spanish village with excellent bars and restaurants just a short drive, or relaxed stroll (maybe 1.5 miles?) from El Rancho.

El Rancho itself is located on the outskirts of the village, and literally in the foothills of the mountains, and these provide a great background to the views when relaxing around the pool.

Garret and Jacqui are very accomodating hosts, and you can enjoy an action packed adventure there, with quad biking, horse rides, trail riding (motorized, pedal or hoof), mountain biking and in the winter months the odd day of skiing (a motorway blast past Granada), all of which can be arranged by Garret and Jacqui, either by themselves or through their network of friends in the area.

There are also plenty of fabulous places to eat and drink a short drive away, either in the village or in some of the surrounding areas, again Garret and Jacqui have extensive knowledge of where to find the best places.

All in all this provides an excellent escape - with an authentic feel - away from the tourist trap of Malaga. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vidal-uk
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Just got back from two weeks in Spain with the first at El Rancho followed by a few days in Cordoba and Malaga. This was by far the best accommodation of our stay. Jacque and Garret made us very welcome and provided us with not only an upgrade but also lots of useful advice and tips about Spain. The village of Trabuco is lovely and an great area from which to explore this part of Andalusia.

We would like to also thank Norma and Malcolm for the loan of Chalkie and Fudge for a lovely walk up the hills opposite and for taking Kim to an interesting local meeting. Norma also gave us a tip for a place to visit whilst in Cordoba - we went and it was a really fantastic addition to our itinerary but if you want to know what it was you'll have to go and ask Norma!

We are hoping to return to Spain early next year and will not be wasting any time looking for anywhere to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple