“There's no place like home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Freeman Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miraumont
Freeman Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Miraumont B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“There's no place like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

As a B&B, Freeman Farm was superb. Jill is an amazing cook and the meals were delicious. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The atmosphere of the house and surrounding village is relaxing and quaint. Booking the B&B is easy and the email communication is quick, efficient and very informative.
Add to that, Jill, Samantha and Tim just treated you like you were family. The conversation is delightful and you truly feel at home. Ask Samantha to show you her medal collection and you will be impressed with her knowledge and animation regarding the topic.
The icing on the cake is the knowledge of the battlefields that is imparted. Tim has knowledge beyond any book and I thoroughly enjoyed his ability to weave the history of WWI into something that comes alive. We appreciated his desire to make the history personal. We were able to discover the final days and path of the last days of my husband's great uncle who fought in WWI, thanks to Tim's help.
We count it a privilege to have been at Freeman Farm and the experience there was beyond words.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heperry

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Knutsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

After too many years of talking about it my brother and I went to trace the areas on the Western Front where our grandfather served in the Great War. We could not have stumbled on a more ideal billet for the 4 days we stayed. The hospitality from Jill, Tim & Sam (not forgetting Derby with the wet nose) was over whelming. The locality is so quiet and peaceful an excellent night's sleep is guaranteed. We had lovely rooms with nice en-suite bathrooms. Breakfast & dinner were superb (as were the Kir Royales of a evening). Tim was a mine of information in the evening as we de-briefed in the evening over a beer on the days explorations. He found information for us about our grandfather on the web we had searched for, for a long time; greatly appreciated. Jill was kind enough to pack us up haversack rations for lunch as that part of France just closes on Sunday & Monday; life saver.
Great time, great fun.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Myself and three friends recently stayed at Freeman Farm. Even before we arrived the service had been excellent with numerous detailed emails from Tim, a great relationship had already been established.
Unfortunately Tim was not at Freeman Farm for our visit as we would have all like to meet him, however our hosts Gill and Samantha were absolutely brilliant. Our welcome by Gill was as if old friends had just arrived, tea, coffee, how about a glass of wine, how was your trip. Gill just couldn't do enough for us. The purpose of our stay at Freeman Farm was to attend the ANZAC Day Dawn Service (yes we are Aussies). We left Freeman Farm to attend the service at 3.30am, Gill was up will a thermos of coffee and croissants, now this is going above and beyond.
The rooms were all large and extremely comfortable and the bathrooms all recently renovated, so the accommodation was really good.
Dinner was fabulous, we have two people in our party with serious food allergies and intolerances and Gill catered for us all. Whilst she was off preparing a sumptuous feast for us Samantha gave our a bit of a history lesson and showed us various war memorabilia. The families knowledge and enthusiasm for what they do is truly infectious. Make sure you get Samantha to show you the wall of shells at the bottom of the garden, it really puts things in to perspective as to much ammunition must have been used.
Overall a fantastic experience, I would recommend wholeheartedly..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 in a single en-suite with a friend who did likewise. Both rooms were clean (particularly the bathrooms - mine was new with a great shower) and well appointed. As the only guests the first night, we virtually wrote our own menu, which Gill expertly prepared. Beer or wine are included in the cost, which was very resonable and breakfast was good too. Tim offers research and bespoke tours for residents and others. He also has a well stocked library on the subject of the Great War.
Freeman Farm is well placed for any visit to the Somme or even further afield, and I certainly won't need to look for anywhere else to stay here in the future. Gill and Tim have plans to expand into their old barn, which means I can tell everyone what a good experience we had without worrying about it being overbooked next time ... I don't think I have given anywhere five stars before, so this is a first!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

My Grandson age 12 and I were made so welcome by Tim and his wife Gill. On arriving we were offered a very welcome cup of tea Coke for Pascal, or could have been any other drink that we would request. Their daughter came and had a chat to us after she came home from school which was lovely of her. Their farmhouse accommodation is first class and spotless. Our bedroom was so comfortable and the bed linen and towels made you feel quite at home, the rooms were warm which was needed. We did not have en suite but was only a couple of strides to our own personal bathroom, which was clean and had a large wonderful shower which we enjoyed. Tim was very interested into where were were visiting and gave us some other places near where we were going that he thought we would be interested in, and we did take his advice and visit them. There was a good choice for breakfast all of which was perfect. On leaving Jill gave Pascal some books of the area and a bag of sweets which were gratefully accepted.. Our stay was only for one night but would have liked to stay longer and if in the Somme area again would certainly stay at Freeman Farm and would highly recommend it to any one. We wish a successful season to Tim and Gill they deserve it, thank you for a lovely stay even if it was so short.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Palaiseau, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just arrived home after two nights at Freeman Farm in the Somme with my brother - and cannot recommend it highly enough. The situation for anyone wanting to tour the battlefields is as good as any and the house is a delight to stay in. The rooms are roomy, clean and warm; the bathroom clean; a sitting room/small libary downstairs and a vbery pleasant little dining room.

So far, you might think, nothing out of the ordinary. And in a way you would be right. That is what you expect from any half-decent B&B.

What that doesn't factor in is the human element. And this is where Freeman Farm scores big time because Tim, Gill and Samantha are charming hosts. Tim, by his own admission, is a bit of a Somme nut but his enthusiasm is infectious, his knowledge extremely valuable in trying to solve riddles - as we were - about a relative who had been wounded in the field. But at no stage is he a Somme know-all or bore. Yes, he knows his stuff but he is eager to learn knew titbits. For example, his face lit up when he learnt that the original Percy Jeeves - whom PG Wodehouse had seen playing for Warwickshire before the war - had perished in High Wood and was listed among the missing at Thiepval. "Oooh,' he said gleefully, "I can add that to the tour for any sports fans or literary types."

If Tim worked front of house, then Gill did a great job back stage, going to great lengths to provide a made-to-order vegetable pie for the awkward vegetarian, and then joining us for a post-prandial bevvy during which the conversation went off the battlefields into many areas of life. Sam also played his part. Her pudding, which is a Yorkshire derivative of lemon drizzle cake with a surprise, is outstanding.

We arrived expecting to use the place as a boarding house but it felt much more than that. When we got back after a day in the fields it was like returning to a friends house for a good old gossip about the day that had been. And when we said otur farewells this morning, it was like saying cheerio to old chums.

I fuly intend to return with my kids in the summer - and I rather expect my brother and I will be returning on a regular basis to explore other battlefields on the Somme. I just hope it doesn't get so popular that there isn't room for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Barney S
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My father and I had been planning a trip around the Somme for a year or more, however it turned out that my father would need to go by himself for a few days before I could meet up with him. We looked into tours and came across Tim at Freemen Farm. Not only would Tim take my father around one-on-one but he would also research the movements of my father's father and uncle, and incorporate the battlefields where they were. My father had been researching both his father and his uncle who had been over there and had, what he thought, was a lot of information. My father arrived at Freeman Farm holding his 9 pages of information; only to be stunned by Tim and his 73-odd pages of information! This would be a pattern for the next 3-5 days...expectations surpassed by a long way! By the time I arrived to spend another couple of days at Freeman Farm with my father, he was already 'head in the clouds'. All he could say was "I have to keep pinching myself". Tim and Gill made my father feel like part of the family whilst he was there by himself, and then gave us enough time alone to bond as father-and-son once I arrived. They took care of us as if we were kings, but shared their time with us as if we were friends. What my father experienced travelling around the battlefields (Thanks to Tim) was something that has blown his mind and made his decade! He is still "pinching himself" to check that it wasn't a dream. I can't thank you enough Tim, Gill and Samantha.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miraumont
Ibis Albert
#4 of 4 in Albert
Le Clos du Clocher
Le Clos du Clocher
#21 of 1,035 in Hauts-de-France

Been to Freeman Farm? Share your experiences!