“"I have to keep pinching myself"”
Review of Freeman Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miraumont
Freeman Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Miraumont B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“"I have to keep pinching myself"”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My father and I had been planning a trip around the Somme for a year or more, however it turned out that my father would need to go by himself for a few days before I could meet up with him. We looked into tours and came across Tim at Freemen Farm. Not only would Tim take my father around one-on-one but he would also research the movements of my father's father and uncle, and incorporate the battlefields where they were. My father had been researching both his father and his uncle who had been over there and had, what he thought, was a lot of information. My father arrived at Freeman Farm holding his 9 pages of information; only to be stunned by Tim and his 73-odd pages of information! This would be a pattern for the next 3-5 days...expectations surpassed by a long way! By the time I arrived to spend another couple of days at Freeman Farm with my father, he was already 'head in the clouds'. All he could say was "I have to keep pinching myself". Tim and Gill made my father feel like part of the family whilst he was there by himself, and then gave us enough time alone to bond as father-and-son once I arrived. They took care of us as if we were kings, but shared their time with us as if we were friends. What my father experienced travelling around the battlefields (Thanks to Tim) was something that has blown his mind and made his decade! He is still "pinching himself" to check that it wasn't a dream. I can't thank you enough Tim, Gill and Samantha.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have visited the Somme area on a number of occasions and Tim and Gill are the perfect hosts to set the scene for your visit. Not only 1st World War interests , but fabulous opportunities to visit the area for fishing, walking, horse racing and sight-seeing around the wonderful French villages and towns of the area - the local markets are superb ! Tim and Gill provide fabulous accomodation and advice too ! They will always go out of their way to make your stay special - highly recommend their knowledge of the area and they are just simply nice people !
Steve and Tracy Dourass

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our family have stayed at Freeman farm on a number of occasions now, we have found it an excellent base to explore some of the best things that France has to offer. It is about 1 1/2 hours drive south of Calais, situated right in the heart of the Somme Battlefields, there are many places of wartime interest. For us, Vimy ridge left a lasting impression, with the trenches and frontlines still intact. Arrass is a beautiful old French town, that is very closeby and well worth a day out. We have also visited EuroDisney, Paris, the champagne region, all of which are about 1 1/2 hours drive away. When you arrive at Freeman farm, you are guaranteed a warm welcome, Tim and Gill, are very outgoing, entertaining, helpful hosts, and will always try to accomodate the needs and requests of their guests, Tim in particular is very knowledgeable about the Somme area and has lots of stories to tell. For us, we travelled by car and in our opinion, it is the best way to get around and see the sights, but I do know that they offer a service to pick up from airports and railway stations. I understand that the guided tours Tim leads around the area, can be tailored to suit whatever interest you have. Nothing is too much trouble. Looking forward to visiting again in 2013.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Selworth
Goole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have stayed at Freeman Farm on 2 occasions as a stopover on our way to and from the Vendee. Tim and Gill are fabulous hosts and really make this place feel like a home from home. The bedrooms are spacious and well furnished. The sitting room is a perfect place to relax and unwind and plan the next day's adventures. Meals are served in the guest's own dining room, all food being freshly prepared by Gill - delicious! Nothing is too much trouble. On our first visit, we were taken round some of the key WW1 sites by Tim and his passion for the subject is infectious. On our second visit, we didn't venture too far but still enjoyed a really relaxing, chilled out time. There is so much to see and do locally whether you are a history buff or not - we are looking forward to going back next year for the French Derby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After going through hell in the airport, it was wonderful to be greeted at the airport by the lovely Tim and Gill. Right from that moment, we knew this would be a great week. We were made to feel like part of the family which made the holiday all the more enjoyable. Tim and Gill were wonderful hosts who were more than happy to drive us to anywhere we wanted to go. Their knowledge of everything WW1 is phenomenal and we couldn't have asked for better guides to take us to Thiepval, Vimy Ridge and La Boisselle. Neither me nor my boyfriend knew much about these, but Tim and Gill talked us through everything and we learned a lot from them. As well as taking us on WW1 tours, they were also more than willing to take us to the beautiful Amien and Arras and leave us to look around and do some shopping ourselves. This approach was, in my opinion, the best as we were able to take our time and look about before heading back to the meeting point for the journey back to Freeman Farm. The B&B itself is a beautiful, homely place in a quiet little village. The B&B has a lovely guest living room full of WW1 memorabilia where we were able to relax after each trip. Gill is a wonderful cook who nothing is too much trouble for. Our bedroom was a huge double room with a very comfortable bed and lots of space to store clothing. It had high ceilings and beautiful views of the French countryside and the barn and well (my favourite). All in all this was one of the best weeks away I have ever had and my boyfriend and I will definitely be going back to learn from this highly knowledgeable couple.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I really can only repeat what the previous reviewer has said about this property. As a single australian bloke wanting to visit the battlefields where so many died, and speak to all those boys lying buried in foreign fields, I couldnt have asked for a better experience than staying at Freeman Farm. For a couple of days I felt like I was part of a small happy family, in a really warm and comfortable way. Location wise the property is in a small village right on the edge of the battlefields....Pozieres is a 5 minute drive away. There are no shops and no discos, and theres no spas and 24 hour shopping, and Im sure Tim wont mind me saying its pretty clear theres no gym nearby, but you dont go to the Northern France battlefields for all that. You go for quiet reflection, for respect, to let those boys know they arent forgotten. As a side issue I got sick of Tim yapping to me about the only war that ever apprently happened and hired him for a day as a guide, and I cannot recommend him highly enough. Ive never used a guide for anything, but Tims knowledge and humor and his ability to talk sometimes, and not talk at other times, was really great. But dont be mistaken, there was no pressure to hire Tim or anything like that, and i had half an idea he probably would have come with me for nothing, such is his interest in the subject and his affection for informing others. I was a middle aged Australian a long way from home having all sorts of trouble driving my Twingo on the wrong side of the bloody road, and I couldnt have had a better experience. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Zacattack33
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

What can I say? Fantastic location (just behind the old German 1916 front lines) fantastic hosts, fantastic rooms & fantastic food-quite the quadruple hit really. Not only are Tim & Gill warm & welcoming hosts, they are the pint pot half full type of folks who make any holiday memorable. Not only that, being something of a self confessed WW1 anorak, I was delighted to learn Tim has an excellent library which guests can browse. I've spent 2 visits there now in late August & wouldn't stay anywhere else. Tim & Gill know pretty much anyone who knows anything about WW1 in the area in addition to knowing an enormous amount themselves. Going back to visit a 2nd time was like visiting long standing friends. This is B&B home from home. Seriously-don't overlook this place. Even if you're thinking of 'passing through' the Somme on the long way home to the boat from Calais, think about at least a couple nights to break the journey here. You'll enjoy great company, great food, great conversation & learn something about WW1 too. 1st timer, generalist or specialist, there is something here for everyone. I'm staking out a claim to be a regular visitor in late August for some time to come. Great location if you want to 'do' Arras, Amiens etc-lovely cities. There's good fishing to be had on the River Somme not far from this location. Oh-cyclists welcome. There's a huge barn to store stuff safely. It's about the size of a train shed. The whole Cyclist Corps could be accommodated in the barn I reckon. (Best way to see the Somme is by bike.) Dieppe to Miraumont is about 116 miles & takes about 8 hours, or 11+ if pedalling at a less than Wiggo pace. Alternatively, take the boat from Dover to Dunkirk & cycle to Ypres from there (just 50 miles or so) & then ride to this B&B following the 1915 lines-recommend a night stop over @ the Campanile near Loos/Lens too far to do in one day. Firm beds for a good sleep.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet-like a submerged submarine. All rooms large. No pool (not necessary) & no ro...