“Freeman Farm Getaway”
Review of Freeman Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miraumont
Freeman Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Miraumont B&B and Inns
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Freeman Farm Getaway”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After going through hell in the airport, it was wonderful to be greeted at the airport by the lovely Tim and Gill. Right from that moment, we knew this would be a great week. We were made to feel like part of the family which made the holiday all the more enjoyable. Tim and Gill were wonderful hosts who were more than happy to drive us to anywhere we wanted to go. Their knowledge of everything WW1 is phenomenal and we couldn't have asked for better guides to take us to Thiepval, Vimy Ridge and La Boisselle. Neither me nor my boyfriend knew much about these, but Tim and Gill talked us through everything and we learned a lot from them. As well as taking us on WW1 tours, they were also more than willing to take us to the beautiful Amien and Arras and leave us to look around and do some shopping ourselves. This approach was, in my opinion, the best as we were able to take our time and look about before heading back to the meeting point for the journey back to Freeman Farm. The B&B itself is a beautiful, homely place in a quiet little village. The B&B has a lovely guest living room full of WW1 memorabilia where we were able to relax after each trip. Gill is a wonderful cook who nothing is too much trouble for. Our bedroom was a huge double room with a very comfortable bed and lots of space to store clothing. It had high ceilings and beautiful views of the French countryside and the barn and well (my favourite). All in all this was one of the best weeks away I have ever had and my boyfriend and I will definitely be going back to learn from this highly knowledgeable couple.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I really can only repeat what the previous reviewer has said about this property. As a single australian bloke wanting to visit the battlefields where so many died, and speak to all those boys lying buried in foreign fields, I couldnt have asked for a better experience than staying at Freeman Farm. For a couple of days I felt like I was part of a small happy family, in a really warm and comfortable way. Location wise the property is in a small village right on the edge of the battlefields....Pozieres is a 5 minute drive away. There are no shops and no discos, and theres no spas and 24 hour shopping, and Im sure Tim wont mind me saying its pretty clear theres no gym nearby, but you dont go to the Northern France battlefields for all that. You go for quiet reflection, for respect, to let those boys know they arent forgotten. As a side issue I got sick of Tim yapping to me about the only war that ever apprently happened and hired him for a day as a guide, and I cannot recommend him highly enough. Ive never used a guide for anything, but Tims knowledge and humor and his ability to talk sometimes, and not talk at other times, was really great. But dont be mistaken, there was no pressure to hire Tim or anything like that, and i had half an idea he probably would have come with me for nothing, such is his interest in the subject and his affection for informing others. I was a middle aged Australian a long way from home having all sorts of trouble driving my Twingo on the wrong side of the bloody road, and I couldnt have had a better experience. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Zacattack33
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

What can I say? Fantastic location (just behind the old German 1916 front lines) fantastic hosts, fantastic rooms & fantastic food-quite the quadruple hit really. Not only are Tim & Gill warm & welcoming hosts, they are the pint pot half full type of folks who make any holiday memorable. Not only that, being something of a self confessed WW1 anorak, I was delighted to learn Tim has an excellent library which guests can browse. I've spent 2 visits there now in late August & wouldn't stay anywhere else. Tim & Gill know pretty much anyone who knows anything about WW1 in the area in addition to knowing an enormous amount themselves. Going back to visit a 2nd time was like visiting long standing friends. This is B&B home from home. Seriously-don't overlook this place. Even if you're thinking of 'passing through' the Somme on the long way home to the boat from Calais, think about at least a couple nights to break the journey here. You'll enjoy great company, great food, great conversation & learn something about WW1 too. 1st timer, generalist or specialist, there is something here for everyone. I'm staking out a claim to be a regular visitor in late August for some time to come. Great location if you want to 'do' Arras, Amiens etc-lovely cities. There's good fishing to be had on the River Somme not far from this location. Oh-cyclists welcome. There's a huge barn to store stuff safely. It's about the size of a train shed. The whole Cyclist Corps could be accommodated in the barn I reckon. (Best way to see the Somme is by bike.) Dieppe to Miraumont is about 116 miles & takes about 8 hours, or 11+ if pedalling at a less than Wiggo pace. Alternatively, take the boat from Dover to Dunkirk & cycle to Ypres from there (just 50 miles or so) & then ride to this B&B following the 1915 lines-recommend a night stop over @ the Campanile near Loos/Lens too far to do in one day. Firm beds for a good sleep.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet-like a submerged submarine. All rooms large. No pool (not necessary) & no ro...