“Great place to stay”

and 1 more site!
The Olive Branch
Ranked #1 of 3 El Chorro B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed at TOB in August for three nights, occupying “Rojo” room. We found the place fairly easily although I would point out that final “driveway to the B&B is a dirt track – a bit scary at first in Nisan Micra. Luckily it did not rain so we got in and out without any problems
The room we stayed in was clean and tidy when we arrived - a decent double bedroom with private wet room/bathroom of equally generous proportions. Bed was comfortable and there was an electric fan - essential in the summer heat. Although towels were dated, they were clean and fresh smelling.
Kitchen is large with all basic equipment free to use by guests. Mel was cleaning it regularly, making sure there is plenty on chilled drinking water in the fridge - refilling it from filtered tap rather than charging all guests for bottled water (Cheap and eco friendly  )
Common areas: pool table, darts, access to internet - all in good order and clean. Kitchen is fairly basic but Mel was cleaning it regularly, making sure there is plently on chilled drinking water in the fridge - refilling it from filtered tap rather than charging all guests for bottled water (Cheap and eco friendly GREAT!!! )

Breakfast - well all our praises to mel for preparing such feasts for us, starting with cereals, then choice of English or continental breakfast, scrambled eggs etc. - All food was fresh and tasty, served on the terrace with a stunning view of the valey.
Pool - on smaller side but perfectly adequate for the amount of guests - water was clean.
Common areas: pool table, darts, access to internet - all in good order and clean. Kitchen is fairly basic but offers all one needs to put together a dinner and if you just can’t be bothered cooking Mel and Gary cook for guests upon request. They also make sure there is plenty on chilled drinking water in the fridge - refilling it from filtered tap rather than charging all guests for bottled water (Cheap and eco friendly GREAT!!! )
Mel and Gary are both very friendly and helpful, happy to pick up guests from the local train station or even from the airport. There is a great atmosphere about the place, we will be back for sure!

KAmi and Garie

Room Tip: we loved the rojo room - good size double with wet room; we thought it was nicely unusual
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank czkami
mel b, Owner at The Olive Branch, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Thankyou so much for the wonderful review. Its extremely helpful for others to see and its much appreciated. We care as to how people feel here, so the atmosphere and our friendly welcome and looking after people is one of the most important things for us!

See you next time!

Thanks

Mel and Gary

Reviewed September 12, 2011

A group of 8 of us just returned from a weekend at the Olive Branch and we were very impressed with the setting and the fact that Gary, Mel and their family could not do enough to help.

We flew in on a Friday night and had arranged for Gary and his father to collect us from the airport. Our flight was substantially delayed and Gary and his father were so lovely about picking us up at what turned into a 1 am collection from the airport.

On waking up at the villa the next morning, the view was a knock out! Simply amazing. The pool is fantastic and we spent a full day by it just looking at the view!

But perhaps the most amazing thing was that Gary, Mel and Gary's mother Maggie had been in communication with my friends to arrange a surprise party for me. I had thought that we would go out for dinner at a local restaurant but on return from having a drink at a bar they had set up the terrace of the villa for a dinner party. The setting was just beautiful - fairy lights in the trees and a table full of wine - it was just amazing. Maggie cooked all the food and does excellent Spanish food. My friends have told me that Gary, Mel and Maggie put a lot of effort into the dinner party and were a delight to work with when planning the party. It honestly was very special and their hospitality is amazing. If you are going as a group, have Maggie cook for you!

There's heaps to do in the area such as horse riding, walks and climbs. We didn't get time to do it all but we did get Gary to take us to some nearby lakes where we went swimming for a couple of hours. Gary's dad also does art classes.

We are already talking about going back as it's just the most relaxing and friendly weekend.

Well done Gary and Mel and keep up your hard work - it's very much appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leigh1982

Thankyou guys so much, it was so great to meet you all and we are glad you had such a great tiem and that we met all your expectations!

Thanks for the fab review and we hope that you can come and stay with us again some time.

Take care

Mel and Gary
The OB

Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have stayed here twice, the first time I lived here for 3 months and it was the most relaxing place I have been to. Gary and Mel are extremely helpful and friendly and nothing is to much for them. The location is amazing and so is the weather. The property is rustic and has a distinct spanish feel to it which makes it all the more appealing. Looking forward to going back there soon to catch up with Gary and Mel and all the other freinds we made.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank david b
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Absolutely lovely people running this place, we felt so at home. Wonderful pool in an amazing setting to enjoy and great space to chill out in. We keep saying it would be lovely to head back with a group of friends for a while and enjoy. A wee gem in our journey. Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SiobhanWolfe
Reviewed July 13, 2011

just back from a 'workout' holiday doing pilates every day with a couple of aqua-aorobics sessions thrown in. enjoyed every minute Mel is a brilliant teacher and really lovely person as is her husban Gary. we couldn't have been made more welcome the kids were awesome too . Julie x

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank JulieH53
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for the first time with our 4 year old daughter. Prior to our arrival we were a bit concerned that it would suit us,due to the fact we weren't climbers and were there only to relax and visit the lakes. Upon arrival I discovered that wasn't the case,it is a fantastic relaxing break for couples and family's alike. Our the room,the red room was so charming and clean,with stunning views,the pool was amazing and made all the better to swim with them views. We really made good use of the "common" room,many a glasses of wine drank there and games of pool played in its relaxed and comfy setting. As far as the hosts go,Gary and Mel and their two children,I cannot praise them enough in every aspect of customer service. They are a family who fully deserve to use that slogan for their business "come as a stranger and leave as a friend" I've only been home for 7 hours and already my daughter is begging to go back!! Well done olive branch!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank sarahmalaga
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I visited El Chorro for a couple of nights to climb and hike in the area. Gary and Mel were lovely, very welcoming and easily adapted to my last minute change when I discovered I couldn't get a train all the way to El Chorro, picked me up from Alora with only an hours notice, and took me to the train station in El Chorro when I left to save the walk on my very tired legs!

As I came very early in the season so they weren't too busy they provided me with a tent to save me setting up my own for free, most appreciated of which was the foam lining they put in it.

The place was very nice and well located for what I was there to do, I was sorry not to be able to stay longer and aim to go back as soon as I can for a longer visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
#1 of 2 in Ardales
La Casa Grande del Burgo
B&B cortijo Don Camilo de la Huma
Hidden Valley Andalucia

Been to The Olive Branch? Share your experiences!