“A rural gem”

The Crossways
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“A rural gem”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

A very pleasant Inn tucked away in the Somerset countryside. Our bedroom overlooked some sheep pottering around in an orchard - idyllic. The food was excellent and well prepared but key to the success of this place is the hard work of the staff esp the manager. Would recommend if in the area (or on the way to Bath as we were).

Room Tip: Orchard view?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in August and found the place to be very accommodating. We arrived early as we had travelled a long way and the manager allowed us to check in early and also upgraded us to the bridal suite - which was a lovely room with a fantastic bathroom. It's in a good location, only 4 miles from the City of Wells and Shepton Mallet, also 6 miles from Glastonbury. The City of Wells is beautiful and has a good market on Wednesdays, there are also good places to eat.
Thank you to the manager at Crossways, he obviously works very hard to keep Crossways looking in excellent condition and serving super food at good prices.
Overall, had a lovely few days away in Somerset.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

the hotel was nice and clean. the breakfast was lovely. but what let this b&b I say that nicely has I think it is a b&b because, no staff is on duty after a certain time. we stayed here in june 2012 to attend a wedding in wells, and after the reception we came back to the crossways at 12-30am to find the doors locked. we tried ringing the management but we got no answer, this went on for 10 minutes then we noticed a top window to the bottom lounge in which we climbed through after a fair while. the next morning we told the manager who promised to refund us £90 for our inconvenience. sad to say we never received any refund. also another couple had the same problem a few hours after me and my partner. apparently if nobody is still in the bar at this place at 11-30pm they then decide to lock up. the crossways is badly signposted from the main road and you have to drive up a very narrow road with hedges at either side for nearly a mile before you reach the crossways. I suggest if you don't want to be locked out of where you are staying I would give this place a miss.

Room Tip: make sure it is a low floor for climbing in.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david h
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for short weekend break with family.

The rooms were beautifully decorated and looked as is newly refurbished. Staff gave us lots of helpful tips for things to do with grandchildren during the day, which was great as kept them entertained!

We ate dinner in the restaurant both evenings. The food was outstanding! Brilliantly cooked and presented and a wonderful combination of flavours! They even hand made my granddaughters chicken nuggets!

They also have an outside terrace with lovely comfy corner sofas to relax as a family in the evening and let the kids tire themselves out!

We will be certainly returning as soon as we are allowed to have the grandchildren for another weekend. Hopefully a week!

• Stayed August 2013
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our lunch yesterday was delicious but I totally agree with lakelandladyMalvern that the portions were way too small. My strapping, hungry teenaged son had the Thai prawn curry and it looked like a starter. My hake was extremely tasty but I think some extra pesto mash would not have dented the profit margin too much - £15.95 for another starter sized main course seemed rather steep. Hot chocolate brownie and peanut butter ice cream were a fabulous combination. However, I had a good appetite for the rather more abundant meal I cooked for myself in the evening.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
malvern
Reviewed August 12, 2013

we decided to have a meal here having read a full page ad in one of the local magazines and we
were disappointed.

we sat outside as it was a nice evening and duly ordered our meal. what can I say???? I ordered the butternut squash and goats cheese lasagne which, in fairness, was very good but the portion was far too small. I would have expected it to be a starter. salad with it consisted of a few leaves and tomatoes with a very light sprinkling of parmesan, hard to locate really. I came away feeling really hungry which has not happened to me for many years and i eat out on a very regular basis. very disappointing as it was not cheap. my husband had the thai curry
which, again, was very nice but very small. why serve the curry in a small bowl with a bit of rice on the side? much better to have a plate underneath in case the customer decides to mix both the curry and the rice together. the place is nice, obviously had a lot of money spent on it but I felt it lacked character and a womans touch. maybe I am wrong. Great place for weddings and functions but just didnt work for me as a restaurant. sorry, wont be back.

Room Tip: only had a meal which was lovely but way too small. came away feeling rather hungry and raided the h...
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I visited this hotel with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. When we arrived we were showed by the manager to our room, which was stunning!! We were given an enormous four poster bed and there was even a tv built in above the en suite double bath!!

We were greeted in the bar by a smiling waitress who showed us to a lovely table in the restaurant. The food we had was superb!! As was the breakfast the next morning!!

We will definitely be returning as soon as possible! Our expectations were exceeded and more and nothing is too much trouble for the friendly staff at this stunningly refurbished hotel.

Thank you Crossways!!

Room Tip: Definitely book the Avalon Vale Suite if available, very good value for money!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#3 of 6 in Wells
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel

Been to The Crossways? Share your experiences!