“Great food”

The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cutthorpe
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a proudly independent gastro style pub selling freshly cooked food from fine dining to classic British dishes. Real ales are a passion here and we usually have four local beers to choose from.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent décor now it has recently been refurbished. Anyone re visiting wouldn't recognise it! Shame about front of house. Went to book a table for later in the week and was greeted by a very unwelcoming lady. No customer service. Shame really, as the food and the pub atmosphere is totally different. Well worth visiting

1  Thank Sue209967

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Peacock has a wonderful location on the edge of the Peak District in a lovely area criss-crossed by public footpaths. Their hand-pulled beers are in good condition and they give a warm welcome. The manu is sensibly short, and they have a couple of specials on the blackboard. So far so good. Unfortunately, the food seems to be trying too hard to impress. One of my favourite dishes is a well-prepared duck confit, so I started with their "crispy duck leg". This was actually a cylinder of duck meat encased in crispy breadcrumbs. It looked impressive but removing the skin and bones left the meat dry. My main course was a pistachio-crusted fillet of pork. The meat was nicely cooked and the "snake" of sprouts and hazelnuts running across my plate looked and tasted very good. Unfortunately, the chef took a perfectly nice ball of mashed poitato and wrapped it in crispy breadcrumbs which ruined the texture of the mash. More annoying was the fact that I ordered two dishes, neither of which mentioned breadcrumbs on the menu, and both had major items crumbed.
The chef obviously has talent, but he or she seems to be making too much effort to be clever rather than making the most of good quality ingredients.

Peacock I, General Manager at The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would firstly like to apologise regarding your recent experience here at The Peacock. We take all comments on board and i will be relaying this to the chefs so we can improve on the quailty of food coming out.

If you could give me a call direct to discuss the issue in full that would be greatly appreciated,

Kindest Regards,

Matt
01246 563669

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Seven of us went out to the Peacock having been recomended by a few people. We were not disappointed. The pub is so comfortable to have a drink with roaring fires at either end. The decor is in keeping with the pub and very impressive.
We were shown to a large table in a room adjacent th the bar which was very homely.
We all had starters and everyone was impressed . The main courses were very very tasty with a number of specials on the board. My husband had the battered fish off the bar menu it was a fantastic size with light tasty batter. I had fillet of pork with pistachio crust and belly pork rosti it was beautifull. one had special lamd shank which also hit the mark, not one of us had a complaint.
The house wine was very good and reasonable at about £14 and the service was faultless with very friendly staff
Cant wait to go again.

2  Thank shezChesterfield
Reviewed March 15, 2013

we went to the peacock a couple of weeks ago for sunday lunch. The food was delicious, the service was good. The only thing that let the restaurant down was that there was a couple in there with a huge dog and they allowed it to eat from their plate both from the table and on the floor. It really put us off our food. We have a dog of our own but would never allow it to eat from the table. We did air our concerns to the staff. I have to say that the food was excellent.

1  Thank RAdams
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went to this charming old pub for a family celebration and had an exceptional evening. Our table of 10 was presented with menus at the welcoming bar. There was an enticing selection of dishes. I had a sirloin which could not be bettered. The wine list is interesting and featured some well priced house selections. The service was attentive with young and enthusiastic staff . We will definitely be returning soon.

1  Thank mickyh753