“Above and beyond”

Pentre Tai Farm B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhiwderin
Pentre Tai Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Rhiwderin B&B and Inns
brighton
“Above and beyond”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I am staying at this B&B with a few colleagues and have to say that this B&B is lovely. Sue & George the owners are two of the loveliest people you could want to meet and will assit you in anyway they can.

The rooms are lovely and have that cosy country feel, and are a home from home. The views are incredible over the welsh valleys especially when theres a rainbow.

Lots of lovely pubs and restaurants nearby also and George will be happy to point you in the directions of any.

I have yet to try the breakfast but the smell of lovely bacon wafting up the stairs is enough to make me want to try it every day !

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I have been staying at the Pentre Tai Farm B&B for the last 8 months and have loved the experience!

This B&B is set in a peaceful location surrounded by stunning scenery! The facilities are great, with a large sitting room and conservatory just for guests to relax in and even a small gym.

I notice that there was a previous review saying how cold the B&B is. I believe this guest stayed before a new heating pump was installed. Rest assured (having stayed during the winter months) this B&B is lovely and cosy!

Sue and George Proctor made me more than welcome and I will miss them and the B&B when my work in Newport ends this week.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
The Olde Barn Hotel, Lincolnshire
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I was attending a two day motorcycle training course with the Gwent Police who recommended that I stayed at Pentre Tai Farm as they had a barn that could be locked to accommodate my motorcycle.

Having read some of the poor reviews after making my booking I was a little concerned that I had made the wrong choice. In fact some of the reviews were so bad that I nearly cancelled my booking. I should not have worried as the welcome I received from the hard working and friendly owners put me at ease from the very minute I arrived.

Do not take any notice of the poor reviews as they are inaccurate and you will miss out on a gem of a B&B. The room was spacious the bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom and the whole place was spotlessly clean.

There was an abundance of toiletries including shower gel and shampoo. The towels were great, it is surprising how many hotels do not supply a full size bath sheet, this little gem of a B&B does. Flat screen T.V and a variety of tea bags, hot chocolate sachets and biscuits to boot. I could even check my emails with the free WI FI provided.

Breakfast was great, a full English cooked to perfection. I asked for two eggs, two sausages and two rashers, plenty of toast and got it and had a cafetiere of fresh coffee, not instant. You cannot please everybody and the poor reviews go to show that but for the price, remember it is a B&B after all I was one extremely satisfied customer.

I am also a fussy hotelier and wouldn’t hesitate in recommending this beautifully located B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
London
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I'm sorry to say this B&B was extremely dissappointing. Rooms were big & spacious, loved the location however our trip was in November & there was no central heating on at any stage!! Both radiators were stone cold.
We were given one electric radiator but this meant the bathroom was freezing & we had come home after a day climbing to a cold room. Our milk was out of date on our drinks tray. Water pressure was pretty poor & took about 15 mins to heat up in the shower. The water in the sink never got hot. We were supplied with a very small towel each & 2 smaller hand towels.
Rooms were unfinished with missing skirting boards & musty.
Many of the TV channels didnt work but we just made do with the 2 that did.

On a positive note landlady had noticed we had brought our own wine so had left two wine glasses out for us - nice touch.

Breakfast was embarrassing. My partner got one very tiny precooked sausauge, 1 slice of bacon, 1 egg, and half a tomato, & some mushrooms. I had mentioned the night before & also when booking that I was vegetarian - I was given the above minus the meat - I felt I could have been offered an extra egg at the very least!! We were given one slice of toast each & we had to take the butter & jam from other guests who had just finished as we were not supplied with any. I must say the eggs were cooked to perfection but the rest was appalling & tasted like last nights dinner reheated.

I would not stay here again

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladymacbeth_uk
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We (a couple in our 30s) stayed at Pentre Tai Farm with two young children (4 and 1) and a granny! We had two rooms that were almost adjoining (it would have been great if they were). We were greeted by the Farmer's wife who was warm and welcoming. We were staying in the newly built extension to the farm house. The finish was really disappointing, evidence of damp and a terrible smell in our bathroom, skirting boards coming off walls and shoddy paintwork. That said, the rooms were spacious and clean - very positive with two young children. The dead flies that we kept finding on the carpet were not exactly desirable with a young family though.

There is a lovely spacious lounge which we had use of. This was brilliant with the children. However it was freezing with no visible central heating just an electric two bar heater.

The breakfast was, sorry there's only one word for it .... disgraceful. For a 3* establishment we could not believe it. We were served a very basic cooked English breakfast completely swimming in grease. We later discovered the cooked frozen sausages in the freezer - not unheard of I know but it doesn't take much to cook a couple of sausages! We had to ask for fruit juice - there was no choice. Toast was either burnt or not toasted enough and there was no fruit and healthy options. Some of the cereal options also tasted as if they had been sitting around a bit too long too. We only had the cooked breakfast option once though and, to be fair, once the farmer's wife knew we preferred croissants (we had brought our own) she went to the trouble of getting some in for us.

The farmer's attitude at breakfast was astonishing though! Our 4 year old daughter accidently spilt her juice and her breakfast was quickly taken away as the farmer clearly stressed about the mess (it was minimal). Her breakfast and her juice were not replaced! When our 20 month old son started to cry (over the choice of tv programmes) the farmer promptly took away his breakfast saying 'when they have tantrums their food ends up on the floor'. We were amazed. We were rushed to eat breakfast, although we ate at 8:15 and breakfast is served until 9am and the children (particularly our daughter) were made to feel very unwanted.

I really wanted to love this place. Location was good for seeing family and the children had loads of room to play which was brilliant. The finish of the rooms however, the breakfast and the farmer's general attitude to us as guests means that we can't recommend this farm and we won't be staying there again which is such a shame. Get a chef and finish the renovations - it'll be super.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank clairemc73
Midlands
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Recently stayed at Pentre-Tai, great location with views of the welsh valleys on a traditional working farm. Easy to find, only 5 mins off the M4. A cheery welcome from the owners on arrival. The room was clean and well presented with a spacious bathroom and free and quick WiFi connection! Breakfast was served punctually and service very good. Would like to return.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patterson76
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I have recently spent a few nights at this B&B with my partner. We had a lovely time, the owners were very friendly and welcoming, and were able to suit to our every need. The location was convenient for exploring the south coast of Wales and Cardiff; the owners were more than happy to suggest places of interest to us. We enjoyed Castle Coch in particular.

The B&B itself was modern and our room was spacious and decorated with a country cottage feel. We particularly enjoyed the view from our room! We had total access to the large cosy lounge area (which we had to ourselves). It is a shame we just missed the finishing of the conservatory. The breakfasts were adequate and delivered in a timely manner.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this establishment if you are thinking of staying in this part of the country.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WiseLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhiwderin
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#11 of 18 in Newport
The Solar Strand Hotel
The Solar Strand Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosskeys

Been to Pentre Tai Farm B&B? Share your experiences!