“Christmas Party”

and 1 more site!
The Old Barn Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Llanmartin B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2010

didn't acutally stay in the hotel as I live in Newport, but did attend a Christmas Party, couldn't fault the food or the staff but didn't find it warm and cosy at all, the place was freezing, I couldn't wait to finish my food go home and warm myself up, it was minus five outside at the time so it was a cold night but I did expect it to be warm inside.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed October 15, 2010

We arrived at the hotel following our wedding checked in and was shown to our room by one of the very polite staff. Our room 'The Penhow Suite' was amazing, the views to the comfortable bed to the relaxing spa bath, everything was perfect. At the restaurant, where do i begin the food was spectacular nothing was too much trouble dont order too much portion sizes are very generous. The hotel doesnt provide room service but were accomodating enough to deliver desserts to our room no fuss or extra charge. A perfect nights sleep and the best choice of hot and cold breakfast i have ever seen anywhere. Overall this hotel was fantastic, polite, helpful staff and a clean, warm feeling. I WOULD RECCOMEND THIS TO ANYONE, U'D BE MAD NOT TO STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

The people are effusive in their welcome and provide excellent service. Outstandingly helpful and go out of their way to accommodate your needs and requests. Food was excellent. Atmosphere in the pub and public areas is exactly the kind you hope to find when visiting Wales - cozy, welcoming, and relaxing. Lots of locals and local flavor. The rooms are newly built and individually decorated - absolutely clean, roomy, comfortable mattresses and with beautiful vistas of the surrounding countryside. The only downside in the accommodations is that the bedroom doors (fire doors) automatically slam shut unless the occupants take care to close them quietly. Few do so in early mornings or late evenings, you may hear the slamming of a door. There is a local bus that will take you into Newport or Cardiff but a car is highly recommended. When we return to Wales (and did you ever think to visit Wales? - we didn't and were stunned at the beauty of the scenery, the friendliness and welcome of the people, and the array of castles and abbeys - not to mention tours through the coal mines - that can be enjoyed here) - we will make sure to return to stay at this wonderful little inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Our 2nd time here and will definitely be back. Service was excellent and the food was as good as ever. The management were quick to act after I had problems accessing the small digital safe in the room (low battery).
One negative was you had to pay about £7 for access to internet for one night. I would think they could give you a small amount of bandwidth just for checking emails (say 25MB) and cut you off if you exceed this small amount unless you pay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I'm a fussy person ... and I could find absolutely no fault with The Old Barn. It was amazing - a little jewel in the countryside, perfectly located with exceptional customer service, amazingly contemporary and spotlessly clean rooms, wonderful food, well-kept grounds ... what more can I say.

It's well deserving of its 4 stars ... indeed, I would say it deserves 5 stars!

We'll be back in 2011 for a longer stay for sure.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I stayed over 4 nights for a course I was attending in Newport. I found the hotel via the internet. But reading 'Tripadvisor.com', I could see that the reviews were positive. I booked via telephone, and was impressed at the way the call was handled.
This hotel is only a couple of minutes from junction 24 of the M4.
On arrival I was shown to my room. I stayed in room 12, a lovely big room with a very modern and clean bathroom, with both bath and shower.
The only downside to this room is that it had an interconnecting door, great for family's...but not so good for the single traveller. I did feel a couple of times that my neighbour was trying to get in and I could also hear every word they said. That said the room was very comfortable.
The breakfast was a liitle boring, although had my partner been with me, he would have been very impressed with the 'full Wesh breakfast'!
There was the aforementioned cooked fare, and for the lighter eater a very small selection of cereal (all very sweet), a small bowl of fruit containing apples, bananas and oranges. There was a choice of eggs. And although I had toast, was not offered jam or marmalade. The coffee was good and fresh, I was however up fairly early and have no idea if it was refreshed throughout this period.
I didn't partake of lunch, however did of the evening meals. I had a poached salmon and salad, and can honestly say that this more than made up for the bland breakfast. On another night I had a meal in my room (although this hotel does not offer room service, they were more than happy to deliver my choice to my room). Again my choice of lasagne and salad was most enjoyable, the portions are very generous. The prices are not expensive. The staff were all very proffesional.
I have recommended this hotel to my partner who also does business in the area.
One thing I will mention. I was recommended a taxi company by the receptionist called 'City Link', they were ok. Just ok, they were however always late, so I was under pressure from very early in the day. So if you use them - book them for earlier than you would need them. They are also not a premium 'business style' cab firm. In their favour however, on my return journeys I did phone to alter a booking and they did accomodate me with no problem.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Liz L
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Small, friendly hotel and restaurant that we recently stayed in. Staff couldn't have been more friendly and efficient , large choice of food on menu (too many choices of desserts). Room was very up to date,spacious and classy. The best bathroom we've had for ages, spotlessly clean and competes with any of the large chain of hotels. We were lucky enough to have a peek at one of the suites and it was really beautiful. Every effort has been made to make this hotel a pleasure to stay in, thank you to owners Phil and Jackie and staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanmartin
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Hampton by Hilton Newport East
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#10 of 18 in Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
The Manor House at Celtic Manor

Been to The Old Barn Inn? Share your experiences!