“top notch again”
Review of The Old Barn Inn

The Old Barn Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Llanmartin B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was the second time we have eaten in the old barn in the last two years .The food was once again second to none and the service and friendlyness of the staff made it an evening to remember. There were 8 of us as before and they could not do enough for us. I recomend the chicken surf and turf but dont have a starter or you might struggle to finish this plate of excellent popping taste bud food. Hopefully we will be going back again next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 13, 2013

a very nice country hotel very nice staff rooms clean and tidy but if you really looked around you could pick faults i dont think my room had been dusted for a few days but what the hell its only to sleep in ..food again was very good but over priced all in all very nice and would probably stay there again if i was in the area

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I just want to say Thank you to everyone at the Old Barn Inn for having us during our stay over New Year. You all made it one to remember!
There was a rather large group of friends and family, who all had a fantastic time (minus the New Year's Day Hangover!) and we were all extremely well looked after. I just wished I could take Melly the DJ home with me!
There was also a Birthday within the Party which wasn't forgotten by all staff!
Great location, as the hotel isn't too far from Newport Train Station for a day trip to Cardiff, but it still has that countryside feel.
Fantastic value for money.
We look forward to seeing you all at the same time next year.

Room Tip: The group had a few rooms and all said that they were fantastic. I would prefer an upstairs room tho...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amystravels101
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here on business December 2012 for one night.
On checking in the receptionist was very friendly indeed, which makes such a difference when you have travelled over 200 miles and arrived in the evening. She made me feel very welcome and took me right to my room in the accomodation block next door to the main buidling.

The room was lovely and quite spacious with a good standard of fixtures and fittings. This hotel is very close to the M4 so easy to get to but far enough away to be a country inn.

I had a good meal in the bar and good value too.

There was a music quiz the night I was there (in the bar) which to me, seemed the most bizarre quiiz I have ever encountered. I'm not sure there were any rules as such, although the locals who were obviously regulars at the quiz seemed to understand what was going on.
I'm sure it was catering for the needs of the quiz master (Roger?) and his ardent followers, but perhaps something more mainstream would encourage outsiders, like me who are staying in the hotel to join in and feel part of the quiz. -Just a suggestion.

Otherwise it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights with my partner. The rooms are comfortable and very clean, however, the walls between the rooms and corridor must be as thin as paper as we could hear nearly everything that was going on around us, from other couple's conversation next door from doors banging, people walking on the corridors and tv programs.
The food in the restaurant was nice, nothing special tho.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
All in all a good hotel but not sure I'd stay there again due to the noise from other rooms.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We've been to the Old Barn Inn on a number of occasions, as a couple and we've also brought all our family for family meals. We always have a great night, the food is always exceptional and the service is second to none. However, for my birthday last October my fiance booked us the main room that they have on offer, the Honeymoon Suite which comes with it's own jacuzzi. Great!
On arrival we were a little disappointed, for the £140 we paid for the night there wasn't much for the money. The room was decorated nicely enough, the bed was great, furnishings were nice although very dusty! Their was the last guests lipstick left smeared all over the bedside table and where someone had had the window open we had all petals blown in over the room from a tree outside. A nice room as i said but i think the asking price per night is a little steep for what you get. Overall though a nice night, a lovely meal and great hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stopped by chance and decided to eat here. For £10.25 we had two courses from the lunch menu, even though it was almost 5pm.

We opted for chicken in a peppercorn sauce, chips and peas.... followed by white chocolate cheesecake and cream. Delicious.

The chicken breasts were the biggest I have ever seen and were perfectly cooked. There were lashings of sauce and tonnes of chips for dipping! The desserts were beautiful and different to what is usually on restaurant menus. So a nice change

On leaving we were stuffed.

In addition to this the service was great, very prompt with little waiting. We were seated in front of a beautiful stone, real fire place and the Christmas decorations were classy. It felt homely, warm and comfortable.

I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanmartin
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Celtic Manor Resort
Celtic Manor Resort
#5 of 18 in Newport
Celtic Guest Houses, The Old Rectory

Been to The Old Barn Inn? Share your experiences!