and 1 more site!
The Old Barn Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Llanmartin B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Me & my wife recently had our wedding reception at The Old Barn Inn & we would like to say a massive thank you to Jackie & all her staff for providing us with a wedding reception to remember. From the intially enquiry to the morning after the wedding, Jackie & the staff has given us an excellent, friendly & professional service. The reception itself was everything we wanted & more, Jackie's attention to detail was next to nothing. Our guests have been very positve with their feedback on their experience of the day & night & the guests who stayed overnight had nothing but praise for the accommodation & food provided. All the guests, myself & my wife would recommennd the Old Barn Inn for either a place to eat, overnight stay or wedding reception. Thank you Jackie & all your staff for making us & all of guests feel welcome & given us a fantastic & an amazing day & night.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richardwatts

Reviewed June 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed here at my best friends wedding early June and it was the perfect place for a perfect wedding! Staff were polite and had a laugh, food was beautiful (so was the vodka!), everything was clean and the place looked superb! So I had to tell them the next morning....
Our room was spacious, bedding crsip, and as it was all locked up and needed pass keys to enter the accomodation building before you get to your room, so it felt safe for children.
If you want a relaxed friendly place to eat and stay I would definately recommend The Old Barn Inn, Llanmartin.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cheryl M
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Whenever I stay away on business I always try not to book into Hiltons or Ibis I always try to book an independent place. When I first enquired about the old barn, my main question was is there free Wi-Fi as I have reports to write most evenings this is very important in my choice of hotel. Needless to say once I arrived I couldn’t log on to their network and ended up using my mobile phone to connect.

I dinned in the restaurant in the evening and I didn’t think the menu was good value at all very expensive and not a great meal.

The room, firstly there is no privacy at all my room over looked the car park with my window at eye level so I had to sit in my room with the curtains closed from the minute I arrived. I have to say the bed was awful lumpy and bumpy with rubbish pillows.

I was in a ground floor room which was ok until the person in the room above returned, the noisy floor in their room kept me awake until quite late and they obviously had an earlier start than me as they woke me as soon as they started walking in their room the next morning.

After an awful night’s sleep and a sore neck I went for breakfast which I have to say was really really good the highlight of my stay. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't book a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ALTL1971
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I Stayed here recently as a wedding party guest with my partner, staff where very friendly, well presented, courteous, and respectful! I would go so far as to say probably the most polite I've met to date! The owner Jackie always seemed to be available as front of house and was friendly and professional. Unfortunately bar service was very slow. The staff worked very hard to ensure everyone's comfort throughout the day. The dining room had been decorated very well and looked delightful. Onto our guest room! This is where things go down hill a fair bit! Bear in mind these rooms cost £79 per night. (not cheap). On equal par to premier in i would say! (similar decor) Rooms r not very spacious, we immediately had to close our curtains as our window literary overlooked someone's car bonnet and windscreen the parking bay is that close its under the window sill. There is no privacy at all in the front lower level rooms. I would suggest a voile or blinds at the window at least. (Oh yes did i mention the curtain pelmet was broken and detached!) The complementary refreshment tray was sparse just enough for 1 coffee each and 1 tea. also 1 packet of cookies. 1 mug was chipped and fiddly little long life milk/cream sachets. come on! £79 room! geeeezzzz!!! We've stayed in other places that provide a much better quality refreshments tray including fruit, iced water and a jug of fresh milk for £65 in nicer locations. Bed wasn't particularly comfy pillows were lumpy. Bathroom was clean and minimal but would have been nice to have a wash cloth and more than 1 hand towel would have been good. Limited channels available on T.V. The door to the room didn't fit snugly into the frame, as a result the bright light from the hallway outside shines through and makes it hard to sleep
( it's just irritating when you shut your eyes but can still see light ) I threw a spare pillow against it to try and block a bit out! Our room was also very poorly sound proofed you could hear other guests talking and moving around like they were in the same room! felt like a silver standard Butlins room. Neither myself or my partner slept well, we woke feeling tired and irritable. Breakfast was nothing special, On arrival at the dining room there were no glasses left to use and all 4 jugs for juice and milk empty. Waitress was slow to take our order, but food arrived quickly. we both ordered a full welsh breakfast. Tomato was cold inside, mushrooms looked and tasted pre-cooked and old. sausage was tasty and of good quality. Again those horrible fiddly,tacky, nasty sachets of sugar, and this time butter. By the time you've opened and unwrapped everything you've got an array of rubbish on your table! I must be honest i had an upset stomach quite quickly after eating!!! sorry old barn inn, mutton dressed as lamb comes to mind, your defo not 4 star. i would not recommend.

Room Tip: Look else where! Hilton,Celtic manor for luxury or holiday inn just up the road if your on a budget.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank likeitorlumpit
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Called her a few weeks ago late Saturday afternoon. Waited ages for oder to be taken only to go up to the bar to be served by a stroppy gentleman. Starters were lovely when the eventually came. Main course poor, and again took ages to arrive. Lots of staff trying to look busy, but not interested in serving. The day we went they were just finishing clearing up from a wedding, however this was only for 25 guests. Staff seemed unable to cope with this and look after the 3 or 4 couples in the restaurant. Won't be going back.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wales1769
Reviewed June 1, 2012

stayed at the old barn for a weekend away, on arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome by the lovely staff, the owners jackie and phil are on hand to make you very welcome, not just in the background as in some other places i have stayed. the rooms are spotless and very spacious, and the food well what can i say it would beat any 5 star restaurant. The room rate includes breakfast and jackie the owner is there to greet you and make sure you enjoy!!! all in all i would highly recommend the old barn, thanks

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pauline23
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have no doubt at all that writing this review is one of the few ways for me to repay the kindness and great hospitality shown to me by the Old Barn Inn owner Jackie and her amazing staff.

The surpassed my expectations by going beyond the call of duty through a testing reason for me t travel to Wales (family ill health). The friendliness and helpfulness of everyone was well beyond the call of duty, and the rooms where luxury fitted and kitted out with the finest qualit furnishings and appliances, the food was AMAZING. Great choice and affordable.

The location is perfect as its I the country as well as close enough to both Newport and Cardiff. I truly loved it here and I look forward t returning for the best Sunday lunch I have ever eaten out when my husbands health is stored.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Curious-Cow-PT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanmartin
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
#7 of 18 in Newport
The Solar Strand Hotel
The Solar Strand Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosskeys

Been to The Old Barn Inn? Share your experiences!