“Amazing in every way”

Costeno Beach Surf Camp
“Amazing in every way”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, the infectious enthusiasm of the staff for living the 'beach dream' was radiant. Colm, Santi, Geoff, Dion, Greta, Julia, Lo and Ryan were all incredibly helpful, friendly and the fact that I remember their names is testament to how wonderful they were. The food was great and there was always seconds for the greedy ones. I caught some sweet waves at the nearby river mouth and another beach called Narajos but I did bring my own stick although you can rent them. We were meant to stay 2 nights which soon became 2 weeks! Bring bug spray X

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Guy R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Swakopmund, Namibia
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I was lucky enough to have a Colombian friend with a car so we road tripped there from Cartagena - I therefore dont know how hard it is to get there without a car. We were going to stay for a night, but we ended up staying for two (or three?) - I could have stayed longer. People were friendly enough and I had a good time there hanging out with the staff and other backpackers. I didnt have a board with me on this trip but was able to choose one close to my preference from their rack of boards - woke up for a dawnie while everyone was sleeping and had a pretty fun little surf, despite the waves being super small. If there was more swell we would have been able to get a trip out to some more solid surf, but alas we were not lucky enough for that. After surf breakfast was amazing - try the banana pancakes! I had like four breakfasts the one morning. I see that some reviewers said the staff were not great - they were friendly enough and helpful to us. The place is pretty damn cool - and if there was more surf and more time I could totally just hang there. Also - if you have a car, there are some cool forest hikes and waterfalls nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JustineMissions
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Costeno Beach is a very relaxed place to spend a few days. It is right on the beach and is very beautiful. I took a surf class one afternoon and spent the rest of my time relaxing on the beach, swimming or reading. I stayed in one of the hamacas, which where a bit high up (and I'm quite tall) and tight for my back, but I slept well. My only complaints would be that it is a bit pricey. The dinners they served were not that big and a bit expensive for Colombia, however I understand that the hostel is located on the beach.

The breakfeast was very tasty, cayeye and arepa y huevo.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nosoyhelen
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Before reaching Costeno Beach I had heard nothing but positive feedback about it and upon arrival, my expectations were exceeded. My friends and I were made to feel like part of the family. The location is unrivalled, the food is fantastic and the staff went out of their way to make sure that we were enjoying ourselves. Costeno Beach and the people I met there has been one of the biggest highlights of my trip around South America. I cannot recommend it any higher.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank amybakerwrites
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My fiance and I had the best experience there. We were on a packpacking tour of south america and after crossing the border by bus from Venezuela and having a horrible experience, we made it to costeno beach which felt like paradise! It is away from everything. The staff was so nice. Santiago helped us with everything. Anything you need can be delivered to you for 3000 pesos. They organised the lost city trek for us and we got a complimentary massage ON THE BEACH on our way back it was just great. The atmosphere of the place is perfect. Everyone gets to know each other during meals and you can chill in hammocks, play volleyball, movie nights are organised. The sunsets are perfect. I would recommend costeno to anyone! just go you will love it.

Room Tip: You can choose a hut right on the beach which have share bathroom or choose a private room with your...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

although the location, scenery and place is absolutely beautiful because it's completely isolated, directly on the beach with jungly nature behind, the hostel was extremely disappointing. the hostel was very poorly run. staff was, in my opinion, inpolite, not helpful, some times even rude and disrespectful and it seemed as if they were too busy and focused on themselves (looking good, having their party, hitting on girls) rather than taking care of visitors. they mixed up many bookings and many things got lost there.

also the name is misleading, as it is definitely not a surf camp. there is one guy taking people into the waves that are definitely not appropriate for beginners, which they don't tell you beforehands. he doesn't seem to be a teacher, didn't prepare us and didn't make any effort to help us stand up. at some point he went out of the water and just watched us struggling.

all in all a really disappointing and sad experience to see how ignorant and self-centered people can be.. especially in such a beautiful place!

However you should definitely not miss the beautiful beaches, sunrises and sunsets of tayrona, in another, more loving hostel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Mariekun
brian r, Owner at Costeno Beach Surf Camp, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
sorry to hear you didn't feel the love in costenobeach. We try to show everyone a great time. The surf as you know changes every day. Sometimes its great, sometimes is bad. We think Dion is great at teaching people to surf, standing up generally depends on the ability of the person surfing. Im glad you enjoyed the area and atleast have a positive opinion of Colombia and our beautiful area.
Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This place has potential to be something amazing. The asthetics of the camp were simple but idyllic for a surf camp. The property is well maintained and clean.

HOWEVER.... The staff there are appalling. I'm actually embarrassed that these guys actually feel like they are better than most people. None of them can surf and they hold themselves as if they are above and beyond others. It is unfortunate because it has so much potential.

I believe going to a surf camp should be fun, warming and integrative. But it was nothing like this. I have read many other reviews and the same message is evident.

I wouldn't waste my time or money here. Go to Palomino where there is real people and a soul to the town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Im glad you were able to enjoy yourself in palomino. We are real people here, but your right, palomino has a town. We do not. No towns close. a little confused by the we are not surfers comments, but thanks for the advice, we will continue working on giving our guests a better experience