“Absolutely fab!”
Review of Kimeret Place

Kimeret Place
Ranked #2 of 3 Bronte B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2009

This property is absolutely fantastic..atmosphere, views, hosts, breakfasts and general feel of the place is brilliant and very relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would have no problems recommending it to family and friends.

Stayed: January 2009

Reviewed December 25, 2008

Excellent property, with a very welcoming host... Would not hesitate to recommend, or stay here again...

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed November 24, 2008

This Bed and Breakfast truly exceeded all expectations, the area itself is stunning and the grounds of the house are just as good. Gill, the host, went above and beyond to give us quality service, everyday we went back to our room to find freshly baked treats and Maori legends placed on the bed. The attention she paid to every little detail was very impressive.The breakfast she cooked every morning was excellent and she could not do enough for us. The rooms were very comfortable and cosy, the bathroom had a lovely spa bath and underfloor heating, it was immaculate. Its the sort of place you look forward to going back to at the end of the day, my partner and I would recommend Kimeret to everyone and would definitely go back again. A great stay!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My sister, and another girlfriend and I decided we needed a mid-winter escape from Auckland so booked into Kimeret Place. We had previously stayed there in December 07. That had been a perfect few days of Nelson summer weather and included tours of art galleries and cafes for three days. This time the location provided a different vista with frost glistening on the the balcony ,looking beyond to the snow capped mountains across the glassy inlet and under glorious blue skies. Wow! we can,t believe there is bad weather in this area. Maybe we are just lucky.
On both visits the accomodation proved to be luxurious and relaxing. Sitting in the spa pool sipping a local sauvignon blanc, eating Nelson Bay oysters and watching the moon rise was not too hard to take! Gill and Ian are fine hosts and helped us find our way to the local galleries, markets local eateries.Breakfast is a must at Kimeret! Better than any lodge or hotel I have ever stayed at in NZ. All local produce, bought daily, and served in the dining area overlooking the inlet. We are now back in Auckland but trying to justify another visit in December .

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed here with our children aged 4 and 1 1/2. We didn't stay in the main house, but in the building described as 'the cottage' which was actually a converted garage. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone with small children. Our kids were pretty well behaved, but it was very stressful worrying that they might spill something on the beige carpet or beige seat covers in the breakfast room. The breakfasts were excellent (and I have pretty high standards when it comes to food). We had a smallish sized (which suited us perfectly) cooked breakfast plus a good selection of other things.
I wouldn't recommend the cottage unless you plan to spend most of the time out and about. When we stayed it was autumn so it might be a different experience if you stayed when the weather was good and you could take advantage of the terrace. The inside of the cottage was pristine: very new carpets and curtains etc and everything looked very clean. However, the rooms felt a bit pokey, there was not enough space to put your stuff and the style of the place didn't suit us: in fact there was no style at all to it. Also, the kitchen (I should perhaps say kitchenette as it was minute) was shabby: one door didn't close properly and the kitchen units felt very old. The crockery, cutlery and pans were attrocious - the sort of thing you'd have picked up very cheaply 20 years ago. In my view there is no excuse for that given the prices that are being charged (it wouldn't cost much to get a cheap but nice looking white dinner set plus some new cutlery and pans).
The main house may be very different in set up, but I'd steer clear of the 'cottage' and I wouldn't go there with children under 10.

• Stayed: April 2008
Bedfan, Owner at Kimeret Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2008

I was very disappointed to read this review as the family had written some nice comments in the guest book and thanked me for a relaxing time. During their stay the weather was not good and so the children did not get chance to run around outside plus a lot of the activities in the area were closing down over this period. I was running a stay for 3 and pay for 2 offer when the family stayed so the cost per night was $246 for 4 people including a full cooked breakfast and all taxes which in this area is very good value. In my advertising it is stated that it is a kitchenette and not a kitchen and others have commented that it is more than they expected. I have however taken on board what was said about the cutlery and crockery and have replaced all the pans, crockery and cutlery. The broken cupboard was just where a screw had come loose which was easily remedied. I do wish that the family had made some comments at the time of their visit as we could of then done something to compensate their displeasure. I pride myself in my cleanliness and my breakfast so am pleased that these were enjoyed. The children were a delight to have in my house and it was a pleasure to do something special for them each morning at breakfast. I also pride myself in making my guests welcome and happy and hope that this one bad review will not put people off who want to come to Nelson region.

Reviewed April 30, 2008

Natasha Maria and Partner

We had a blast! For a couple wanting peace and quiet, this lovely place was it. And if you wanted to party a little, Nelson wasnt far to travel and Gill was great with us coming back so late! I admit four nights wasnt long enough but with the help of the fantasic hot tub on the deck, we were so relaxed that on our last day, we almost missed our flight. Thankfully, the mist that morning delayed many flights, including ours.

We loved the Alexander suite. When comparing to an hotel room, this room had so much more life and when its raining, it is so nice to stay and enjoy the room and the mini bar and everything else, ( including the spa bath! ). This is by far better than a hotel. Because Gill made us feel welcome and to remember we were on hoilday and to enjoy. And we didnt have to do a thing. The breakfast was WOW. The choices were varied and the quality was great. I loved all the goodies to choose. The Best !!!

Thanks so much, Gill for a great time and for making your place a warm and stunning home away from home.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 13, 2008

|What an incredible place!
The comfort and beauty of the house is so relaxing and the garden is stunning with fabulous views.
It was so lovely to lay by the gorgeous pool, reading my book, sipping my cold drink and being so happy that we were booked in to Kimeret Place!
Thanks Gill for making such amazing breakfasts and having such a wonderful guest house!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kimeret Place? Share your experiences!