“Great fish sandwich”
Review of Suds Bermuda - CLOSED

Suds Bermuda
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We went to this beach to
Go paddle boarding. Since it was lunch time, I ordered a
Fish sandwich. It was very good. This is a beach stand that sells food.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

A lot of the confusion in the reviews comes from a lack of clarity over expectations. Suds is a REALLY good beach hut, but not a four star metropolitan restaurant. There are a couple of umbrella tables on the dock but I am not clear if they are officially part of suds or just convenient. The service is slow (in an island sort of way), vague and error-prone but wonderfully friendly, unique and full of character. As far as I can tell all the burgers, fish sandwiches and other dishes are all made from scratch and subject to availability (especially the fish which is dependent on local catch) and everything we had was very tasty. A particular shout out to the fish soup - we ate at and enjoyed five of the most acclaimed restaurants in Bermuda during our stay but Suds' fish soup, served in a gladware plastic tub with a splash of rum from the 'condiment bottle' on the counter was my favorite dish of the whole visit! The selection of canned beer is small but it is cold - set your expectations appropriately and enjoy the beach!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Our cruise stopped in Bermuda for three days and we spent two of them here. The beach is gorgeous- a spectacular, quiet spot . Though the 9 Beaches Resort has been closed for a few years, the beach is well maintained and not overcrowded like others. The snack shack has a limited menu, but the quality of the food was the best we had on our vacation. The crab cakes and fish sandwich were incredible. The stand is operated by a mother and son. They are friendly , though they are quite slow with the service.

This beach is a 10 minutes cab ride from the cruise dock (approx $17 each way)- just tell them you want to go to the beach at '9 beaches'. There is a beach equipment rental stand (rents chairs, umbrellas,long boards, snorkel gear, etc) next to the snack stand and they operator (Larry) will call a cab for you when you're ready to leave.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very nice people. Accommodating and always trying new foods and offer fresh caught fish of the day. Nice big BBQ Grill. Fresh and delicious with a variety of drinks :D

1  Thank MegAnne3
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I kind of understand the reviewer who gave this place a poor rating. His/her expectations were much too high, and that is understandable given some of the reviews on various sites, so I will fill you in on the reality of what this tiny place is.

For us, Daniel's Head was a place to go to get away from the masses (tourists and cruisers as we were on the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas). What we found was a quiet, calm small stretch of soft sand with aqua/emerald seas. There were trees beyond the beach for shade, charming homes on stilts, Suds, and a rental place for kayaks and boards. This does not have the OMG of Horseshoe Bay, but it had it's own uniqueness and secludedness to make it a special place on an otherwise busy island.

We arrived late and Suds was ready to stop selling food, but they said they would oblige us if we ordered right away. The prices were not cheap, service was island sloooow, but came with a smile and a wealth of local knowledge. The food was carefully prepared and had many little added touches that made this place stand out from the normal beach type foods. For instance, the hot dogs were boiled in beer and Old Bay Seasoning. The Wahoo fish sandwich (caught the previous day) had an interesting creole slaw with a cajun spiced mayo. They offered things like cod and corned beef hash cakes, fresh grass fed beef burgers, spicy BBq'd chicken sandwiches and reubens on German rye. The drinks were super cold, which was a relief in the hot bermuda sun. My only complaint was my swizzle - I tasted nothing but pineapple juice and the abundance of ice made my drink taste like water in just minutes. At $9, this was a travesty.

So why does this place merit 4 stars? Because the food was all fresh and homemade and an unexpected find for such a quiet lovely beach. You have to put everything in perspective as the next day when we were at Horseshoe bay and wanted to get a bite to eat guess what we found? Wrinkled hot dogs and fried EVERYTHING including fish, chicken nuggets and strips, fries, onion rings etc, all from a frozen bag and kept warm by heat lamps. So no, I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Suds, but if I am at Daniel's Head Beach you bet I will opt for the fresh catch of the day sandwich each and every time.

2  Thank llpupa