“Excellent value!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent value!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Having read reviews of this establishment before my visit, I was feeling diffident. Yes, I'm not from South India, but have visited Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka, and eaten much Tamil food. Yes, the location is far from attractive - a unit in a shopping mall that has probably seen better days. Yes, the layout inside is like a cafe; but visitors should judge not by appearance, but by food.

We visited at lunchtime during the Xmas break. Tables were clean, service (from the manager and a waiter) prompt and attentive. Other customers appeared to be of Asian origin - which must be a good sign. We decided to stick to old favourites - for me vegetarian buffet (self-service, as much as you want); £5.99, plain rice, 8 bowls of biriani, lentils, various vegetable dishes of varying heat and taste, a dessert, chapatttis, poppadums, raita. For my friends, masala dosa, which arrived after a reasonable wait: £3.10, with a good potato filling, sambar and chutneys. We drank water, but there is a licence.

I can't fail Chennai Dosa for delivering what it sets out to do - good, wholesome food at an excellent price.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“WORST PLACE EVER”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'm sorry to say, you people whom have commented saying it is good food have never eaten out before. Probably THE WORST food I have ever tasted in my lifetime. The glasses were dirty and not even clean, the sundries arrived half an hour after the curry...which was evidently cold by then (what was the point in even ordering it?!), the atmosphere was like I was in a school canteen. The prices I guess you can't complain about but then again I can see why it would be so cheap, the quality of the food was AWFUL. The food was too salty and full of butter/oil, enough to give you a cardiac arrest there and then. Safe to say I won't EVER be eating there again and neither will my family...even if I was given the food for free I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Think that pretty much sums it up really...

3 Thank Jayshree134
Manchester, United Kingdom
“best value indian food in manchester”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Overall the food quality is excellent. I often buy the vegetarian buffet which has excellent sambar / rasam etc. A couple of times the vadas were soft (reheated) but 95% of the time they were freshly prepared. Some have criticized the masala dosa as not being super crispy (which is true) , but I think they still taste pretty good. The rava dosa definitely is crispy! The best meal is the breakfast on sat / sun from 10.30 to 12pm. It has all the traditional south indian breakfast dishes (including a sweet)and you can have a dosa or masala dosa or puri all thrown in the fixed price. I think is was £5 for breakfast and a total bargain; it fills you up till the evening! The equivalent restaurants in asian areas in London may be better, but for manchester, this is the best tasting / value south indian food in the area. Also very friendly staff.

• Visited December 2012
“beautiful food provided at a cheap price”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We are a weekly customers for their buffet breakfast and what can i say,it has become like an addiction now.i travel 53 miles to have their superb food.keep up guys and wish they had a restaurant in Leeds.

1 Thank Rexkishore
Manchester
“Good south Indian food”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have just visited chennai dosa and tried the masala dosa which was very good and also the chicken vuruval was very tasty and hot.
I have been to many restaurants in south India and this chain offer a authentic dining experience of some south Indian cuisine.
I think the best time to go is mid week service was good and the food arrived quickly it is also very good value .
So give it a try if you want to try something different .

• Visited November 2012